Mass effect 1 had random loot was that loot considered good compared to skyrims?

#1Iron34manPosted 1/11/2012 9:01:07 PM
I feel like alot of people complain about the loot system was Mass effect 1's loot system considered good because im pretty sure it was random. Is it because with smithing and enchanting you can make the best equipment yourself?
#2Skeletal_KingPosted 1/11/2012 9:05:11 PM
Aside from the occasional Damage mod (Which stops at mod level 7, and then stops spawning when level 8 and higher mods appear), the random loot in Mass Effect 1 was only good for selling to NPCs. >_>
---
http://backloggery.com/kodan882 <- Anything I'm currently playing
#3charon78auPosted 1/11/2012 9:06:07 PM
Mass effect loot was the finest example of what to avoid when implementing a loot system.
---
Crusty old SNES fanboy.
#4RichGamebuddyPosted 1/11/2012 9:06:40 PM
Mass Effect 1's loot system was terrible. First of all, you weren't looting. You would fight a group of enemies and after the fight you'd get 20 extra items. You had a relatively small inventory and because only about 5 types of upgrades were useful, and all the guns and armors were just re-skins, you would have to spend 10 minutes after every mission selling all the worthless junk, which made it so easy to buy the most powerful weapons. Mass Effect 1's system was terrible and I don't know how people think it was a bad thing that they took it out of ME2.

Skyrim faces the same problem where that most of the items you find aren't useful, except some carry good enchantments. Skyrim's system is better because there are unique items to be found and your inventory is very easy to organize.
---
The Official Alduin of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Board
#5TrialZero654Posted 1/11/2012 9:06:58 PM
Iron34man posted...
I feel like alot of people complain about the loot system was Mass effect 1's loot system considered good because im pretty sure it was random. Is it because with smithing and enchanting you can make the best equipment yourself?

i think thats exactly why people complain about it, since the "best" gear can and HAS to be made by the player, it feels somehow less rewarding

it's a great feeling when you struggle through the depths of a dungeon and find some really great piece of enchanted gear on a dead enemy or in a chest

since the best gear is made through smithing/enchanting, any given player knows the exact path that needs to be taken to get the best gear, which just isn't very satisfying, especially when said gear can be made absolutely game-breakingly powerful even without exploiting alchemy
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#6CanusaresPosted 1/11/2012 9:07:59 PM
I personally enjoy getting unique weapons and improving them with smithing.
I have a Dawnbreaker that does 800 damage, plus casts Bane of the Undead randomly and looks super awesome. I always have a Spellbreaker shield which has about 900 armor and casts spell ward at the same time. Doesn't get much better than that.
---
GT - LUMPYMOOMILK
fools, all of you - Tom Brady on the TYM Sub-Zero forum
#7TrialZero654Posted 1/11/2012 9:10:33 PM
although i will say the unique items like gear and weapons from guild quests or daedric quests are very cool, i only wish there were more unique items

i think it would be very cool to have a bunch of unique weapons/gear not associated with any quests, but that could simply be found by getting lucky, by finding in a chest somewhere where it randomly spawns, i think that would encourage more dungeon diving

as it is, there really isn't much incentive to delve into a random dungeon you happen upon unless you have a quest for said dungeon, as gold is really easy to get
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#8RichGamebuddyPosted 1/11/2012 9:12:31 PM
TrialZero654 posted...
although i will say the unique items like gear and weapons from guild quests or daedric quests are very cool, i only wish there were more unique items

i think it would be very cool to have a bunch of unique weapons/gear not associated with any quests, but that could simply be found by getting lucky, by finding in a chest somewhere where it randomly spawns, i think that would encourage more dungeon diving

as it is, there really isn't much incentive to delve into a random dungeon you happen upon unless you have a quest for said dungeon, as gold is really easy to get

There's always the thrill of exploration to drive you, but I agree. This game really should always be spawning better and better items to find randomly.
---
The Official Alduin of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Board