House Decorating Guide: How to Move and Drag Items to Customize your Skyrim Home

masterpug53
Posted: 1/21/2012 8:30:53 AM
What the Hell do I do With All These Immovable Items?!

Unfortunately this is another area in which the move-drag feature has taken a hit to its usefulness - you can no longer pick up any object (other than bodies) that can't be placed directly into your inventory, which means that all those bird skulls and forks / knives taking up space on your shelves and tables can't be moved directly. So once again, whip out your trusty ring and use it to knock those things off the shelves / tables and either put them in a postion that better suits you, or shuffle them off to a dark corner and hide them behind a basket.

Where Can I get More Silver / Decorative Items?

In a rather ingenious move on Bethesda's part, most cells in the game (not just dungeons) completely respawn if given enough time - if you clear out Dragonsreach of all its silver plateware and delicious food, stay away from the cell long enough for it to respawn, and all the items will have returned for you to clear them out again (this is also useful if you're worried about leaving a cell completely barren of decorations). Some cells have a respawn window of 10 days and others 30 days, and whenever you enter a cell, that timer is reset to zero, so if you're looking to re-pilfer an area, save before entering it, reload if it hasn't respawned yet, and try again later.

In my experience, your owned houses do not respawn in this way - this prevents random bowls and food from popping in uninvited if you've already decorated yourself and have spent a little too long away from home (good thinking, Beth). On the other hand, all those unmovable forks, knives and bird skulls will revert back to their original locations if the cell's allowed to respawn, so if you've moved any of those out of place, then never stay away from said home longer than 30 days.
---
Simple questions deserve long-winded answers that no one will bother to read.
Previous Versions
masterpug53
Posted: 1/21/2012 8:27:08 AM
What the Hell do I do With All These Immovable Items?!

Unfortunately this is another area in which the move-drag feature has taken a hit to its usefulness - you can no longer pick up any object (other than bodies) that can't be placed directly into your inventory, which means that all those bird skulls and forks / knives taking up space on your shelves and tables can't be moved directly. So once again, whip out your trusty ring and use it to knock those things off the shelves / tables and either put them in a postion that better suits you, or shuffle them off to a dark corner and hide them behind a basket.

Where Can I get More Silver / Decorative Items?

In a rather ingenious move on Bethesda's part, most cells in the game (not just dungeons) completely respawn if given enough time - if you clear out Dragonsreach of all its silver plateware and delicious food, stay away from the cell long enough for it to respawn, and all the items will have returned for you to clear them out again (this is also useful if you're worried about leaving a cell completely barren of decorations). Some cells have a respawn window of 10 days and others 30 days, and whenever you enter a cell, that timer is reset to zero, so if you're looking to re-pilfer an area, save before entering it, and reload if it hasn't respawned yet.

In my experience, your owned houses do not respawn in this way - this prevents random bowls and food from popping in uninvited if you've already decorated yourself and have spent a little too long away from home (good thinking, Beth). On the other hand, all those unmovable forks, knives and bird skulls will revert back to their original locations if the cell's allowed to respawn, so if you've moved any of those out of place, then never stay away from said home longer than 30 days.
---
Simple questions deserve long-winded answers that no one will bother to read.

No Action Available

No actions are currently available to you with this message.