House Decorating Guide: How to Move and Drag Items to Customize your Skyrim Home

#181UbiquitousSinsPosted 3/10/2013 8:49:09 AMmessage detail
Having everything in a particular place is fun for some reason, i don't know why.. But after struggling (learning the hard way) with the whole pick up and place system, and getting everything in the right order I accidentally shouted after an hour (unbeknownst to me) passed of this damn obsessive decorating.. It was the house next to the blue palace.. After spending all this time decorating every room in this giant mansion and then I shouted by accident in the basement (without saving) and it knocked everything off of every shelf "ALL OVER THE F*CKING HOUSE!".*to quote myself literally*.. That was a sad day. Talk about a tornado rolling through? It was more like the whole place imploded on itself. What a mess
#182knghtxeno1Posted 3/10/2013 4:01:24 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#183Facebuk123Posted 4/20/2013 5:34:00 AMmessage detail
masterpug53 posted...
Are There Any Items I Can't Decorate With?

When I said that 99% of items are only thrown on the floor one time, there does remain that 1% that won't stay put no matter what you do. These items will always end up going somewhere when you re-enter the cell, and have the potential of glitching through a wall and becoming lost forever.

Here's a brief list of items to avoid (that I've found) when decorating - you're welcome to try them at your own risk, but don't say I didn't warn you:

- Thieve's Guild Larceny Items (just leave 'em all where Delvin puts them)

- Wooden Mask (Haven't tested Dragon Priest Masks)

- Circlets (even generic ones)

- Staff of Magnus (DON'T put this one on a weapon rack either - it will gradually shift its position to the point where it might 'destroy' the rack or plaque its on, making you permanently unable to put a new weapon there).

- Keening (I didn't test this one fully, but it has the same potential as the Staff of Magnus to move around and destroy a plaque or case, so I wouldn't push it).

On that note, if you notice that a weapon placed on a rack is gradually moving out of postition every time you re-enter your home, take it out and just keep it in a chest.

I've also run into a bug where items can't be moved at all once you re-enter the cell - you can't even push them with your body or another item. I think this is a bug related to lag, because it started affecting certain items late in the game that weren't affected earlier on. It's still possible to decorate with these items if this happens, though - since an item reverts to its original drop point upon re-entry of the cell, you have to actually drop the item from your inventory into the position you want it; it takes some practice, but isn't impossible.

Finally, the collision physics in this game seem even more whacked-out than in Fallout 3 - as such, you can't count on putting items in bowls or on plates the way you used to. I wouldn't recommend putting anything but food and ingredients in your self-placed bowls, and plates can only handle certain types of items without doing the cha-cha halfway across your table. It's something you kinda have to try for yourself to get a good picture of, but definitely do not try to place a bunch of rings or gemstones in or on a self-placed bowl or plate, unless you want to marvel at the magic of a tap-dancing silver bowl.

So if you're still reading at this point, thanks for reading, and hopefully some of these tips will make house-decorating more fun, or at least bearable. I'm pretty nutty over it myself (was even compelled to ditch a 150-hour character simply because I was glitched out of buying Honeyside), so if you have any specific questions, I can probably answer them.

Hi great post, very good help thanks. Tell me, when I ask the steward for " furnishings " and he/she asks me in which room I want to furnish etc;, does anything actually get done except that it takes coin,,I am doing a replay to get the last Achievement, amazingly I went from 0 to level 55 in 4 weeks, very different to my first run, that took 18 months, lol. I have found many different items and people this time as well, amazing.I have made heaps of gold from making and selling potions...Conjuration is most helpful,as my " health " level is low but it does not matter all that much with 2 atronachs..cheers..
#184Ryan-06Posted 5/5/2013 5:05:07 AMmessage detail
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGG!!!
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth.
http://i.minus.com/ipHqzgSb9E2MY.gif
#185LOKIGODX41Posted 5/13/2013 4:12:49 AMmessage detail
Alot of this info is very helpful - HOWEVER -
since the1.9 patch some info has been shall we say tweaked -

I am sad to say that 1.9 patch has given most if not all items upsidedown physics!
what I mean is that when you pick up an in item it jerks to the middle and proceeds to spin to the TOP of the item as if it were the heaviest part of the item INSTEAD
of the ummm... CORRECT WAY!!!

like to the BOTTOM of the item like how normal GRAVITY works!...

but alas it is not meant to be and decorating becomes that much more difficult -
thanx bethdiksda you should have left the original wonkyass physics alone -

but all hope is not lost it is still possible to decorate but it just takes more time now is all -

here is my tip -

try using the top of whatever you r gonna place something on and drag item across it to get the desired angle for placement

( try to not use edges of the table or whatever bcuz it will make the item cha-cha all crazy like and usually mess with what you r trying to accomplish ) -

I hope this helps - latr
---
" If it Bleeds... We can kill it "
#186tuchPosted 5/20/2013 1:15:22 PMmessage detail
That's nice.
---
"Wrong again, idiot." ~ Prof. Farnsworth
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6963/profer0.gif
#187RissaLynn21Posted 6/25/2013 10:42:05 AMmessage detail
Do you happen to know of any mods on Nexus mod manager or Steam that might help with this issue of items going all lemming on you after you spend all this time organizing them?
#188xD4MOxPosted 6/28/2013 5:53:16 AMmessage detail
read my signature
---
I wanna F*** you in the ass!
GT: xDAMOx
#189FrippGrillPosted 8/26/2013 11:23:20 AMmessage detail
Great thread.
#190DarkSeraphMPosted 8/26/2013 7:52:35 PMmessage detail
RissaLynn21 posted...
Do you happen to know of any mods on Nexus mod manager or Steam that might help with this issue of items going all lemming on you after you spend all this time organizing them?

I know you posted this two months ago, but I just got PC version and was looking for the same thing, so yeah:

Placing Statics
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25068/?

Decorator Assistant
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13586//?
---
As tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin.
I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the earth.