Staffs and Perks

#1michael2012Posted 3/11/2012 11:03:17 PM
I know they don't raise your destruction or whatever they are, level, but do perks in say, destruction, apply to a staff with destruction magic?

Like the augments and such. I ask because I am thinking of using a new character who relies on staffs only when it comes to magic, while having melee weapons for other situations

Also, sorry, but one more thing... where can I find a decent staff to start with at a low level?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for being ignorant of this despite having the game since launch.
---
"Together, there's nothing we can do!" - "Shh, the ears have walls..." - My phrase-challenged friend, Sito
Proud Christian and gamer.
#2elguerodiabloPosted 3/11/2012 11:29:53 PM
If you have fortify gear that reduces the cost of spells it will give you more charges to use with the staff.
---
TEATIME! B:^o
#3LordMagusPosted 3/11/2012 11:35:42 PM
Yes, higher skill level/reduced cost enchantments affect how many charges you get out of a staff, and the fire/ice/lightning Destruction perks affect how much damage you do with staffs.

As for where to get staffs early... I think you're guaranteed to get a decent mid-grade lightning staff in Saarthal (first dungeon of the Mages College questline). You get a pretty good wall of fire staff from doing the quest Repentance at Darklight Tower (Southwest of Riften).
---
Say, can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper...
#4elguerodiabloPosted 3/11/2012 11:40:40 PM
The dragon priests have great staffs and one of them, i cant remember which sorry, is alone on top of a mountain so that one would be pretty easy. If you do illia's quest you get a good staff as a reward. The wikis dont say anything about them being level dependant.
---
TEATIME! B:^o
#5michael2012(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2012 12:30:25 PM
Thanks so much guys. I'll up my destruction skill before anything else like quests, then stick to using staffs. Maybe a staff and shield for some situations as well.
---
"Together, there's nothing we can do!" - "Shh, the ears have walls..." - My phrase-challenged friend, Sito
Proud Christian and gamer.