Bounder build and bound weapons guide

#1IamI3rianPosted 4/30/2012 1:17:41 PM(edited)
http://www.skyrimcalculator.com/#111722

Alright, so Iíve spent a while working on a build/guide for using bound weapons effectively and to their greatest potential. Iíll try to include here everything Iíve discovered.

Using Faendal to train archery for free (by having him join you, and taking your money back) will level your archery to 50 rather quickly. A trip with him to bleak falls barrow early will allow you to level up fast enough to make training go by pretty quickly. Itís not terribly dangerous either since archery is a combat skill, and you wonít level up very much. I usually finish with him by level 9 or so.

1) Where to get the spells:

First, one should head to Farengar in Whiterun to pickup the bound sword spell. In this build, youíll be dual wielding the swords, along with using the bow to begin a fight. Casting all three spells takes a LOT of magicka. Carrying some Elsewyr fondue with you (a cooking item created with an Eidar cheese wheel, some moon sugar, and an ale) is very important. This adds +100 to your magicka total (and +25% to regen).

In order to get the bound bow spell take a trip to Fort Amol. Itís located almost directly west of the Elder Gleam sanctuary in the Rift, and can be easily spotted by following the road past Valtheim Towers. Continuing along the road you will spot the fort. It is not the easiest place to clear. Thereís a plethora of mages there. My recommended strategy is to buy the best poisons you can get and take out the mages with sneak attacks using a smithed hunting bow (thereís one in Faendalís house). Also found in his house, a potion of true shot, which can help with the mages. I recommend buying (or making) a few more of those, some poison and a decent amount (20 or so) of healing potions. NOTE: There are some mages I the courtyard as you approach. Be warned.

After your training with Faendal is done, head to the college in order to get access to conjuration training. The more points you have in that skill, the lower your (fairly high) casting costs become. At this point, personally, I do Brelynaís quest, so I can have some decent (sorry Faendal) back up. Sheís one of the best casters in the game, and uses summons which take even more heat off of you.

2) Fun Facts:

First up, critical hits. They use the base damage to calculate damage, and since thereís no smithing involved in bound weapons they are COMPLETELY base damage. This makes the critical perks actually useful (and deadly) for the first time. Particularly with bound swords, the perk doubles damage 20% of the time. The bow version only adds 25% to damage.

Another nice feature of bound weapons, they cannot be disarmed. This helps a LOT in certain fights, but they are admittedly few and far between. It makes a pretty nice difference in those (tough) fights though.

Using bound weapons in combat levels both conjuration and the relevant combat perk.

The base duration of bound weapons is 120 seconds. Dual casting them improves the duration by 240%. It increases the cost by 240% however. (Thanks Alessar)

Bound bow is weightless, giving it the fastest draw time (not nocking time) in the game. This (combined with the criticals) is what makes this the deadliest bow in terms of DPS. It fires nearly a full second faster than a daedric bow.

Canis Root, Elves Ear, Juniper Berries and Spider Eggs make fortify marksman potions (thanks Jammy).

3) Combat

Personally, I cast bound bow first, and allow my magicka to regenerate before engaging. It is important to note that magicaka regenerates 1/3 as fast (1% of your total magicka) in battle. This allows you to cast the swords as needed.

While dual-wielding weapons, hitting both attack buttons at the same time allows for a dual attack. This swings both weapons at the same time. This is NOT a power attack and uses no stamina.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
Stole the mudcrab 500!
#2IamI3rian(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 1:38:35 PM(edited)
4) Build Notes

This build is only until level 25 to allow for customization, and thatís all you really need to cover the basics of the Bounder. I personally pick up the last four points in overdraw, and the soul stealer perk between 25-30. This allows the bow to REALLY shine, doing huge damage, and stealing souls (mainly for enchanting or recharging staffs).

It is also worth noting that youíll have limited defenses, so some smithing perks, and light armor perks may be desired. I personally havenít had any problems, since most enemies die before they get to hurt me much.

It may be worth putting a single point into the stealth perk early on. I donít ever put more than one, since +5% sneak per point is not a good return on investment. After that, you can (if you are so inclined) make your way up to deadly aim for increased sneak damage with the bow. I donít think this is needed and I find sneak archers to be the most boring build in the game. Watching things fall over just isnít my idea of fun.

Quick shot can be helpful. It increases the already impressive fire rate of the Bound Bow by 30%. This increases DRAW time, not Ďnockingí time. It takes the same amount of time to nock an arrow regardless of bow. Itís not required, since (being the fastest) it has the lowest effect on Bound Bow.

When leveling up, I use a 1/3 magicka/health formula. Later on, youíll have enough mana to summon some beasties to help without limiting your use of weapons. This also allows plenty of health, and if you use veggie soup/venison stew/beef stew you wonít have stamina problems. Your carry weight will be insanely low, since youíll only be carrying light armor. You summon your weapons.

So, there you have it. The Bounder Iíve been working on for almost a month. Iíve tried to include everything (relevant) that I know about it. Any questions/comments are welcome.

P.S. Big thanks to KaiserAfini for helping me put this all together.

---
Stole the mudcrab 500!
#3jammymacsterPosted 4/30/2012 12:05:18 PM
Blue Butterfly Wings and Blue Mountain Flowers don't make Fortify Marksman potions. They make Damage Magicka Regen and Fortify Conjuration poisons.
Canis Root, Elves Ear, Juniper Berries and Spider Eggs have the Fortify Marksman effect.
Canis Root and Spider Egg add a Damage Stamina effect that may make it a poison so avoid using those two together to make the potion.
---
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here." - Peter Molyneux
#4metatrongrhm1Posted 4/30/2012 12:06:27 PM
nice work!
interesting, concise, well layed out.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62480101
#5IamI3rian(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 12:13:37 PM(edited)
jammymacster posted...
Blue Butterfly Wings and Blue Mountain Flowers don't make Fortify Marksman potions. They make Damage Magicka Regen and Fortify Conjuration poisons.
Canis Root, Elves Ear, Juniper Berries and Spider Eggs have the Fortify Marksman effect.
Canis Root and Spider Egg add a Damage Stamina effect that may make it a poison so avoid using those two together to make the potion.

Thanks Jammy, I'll be editing that in. I wonder how I botched that? Not enough sleep, and looking up too many things I suppose.

metatrongrhm1 posted...
nice work!
interesting, concise, well layed out.

Thanks man. I self edited quite a bit out, as I tend to be long winded :)

---
Stole the mudcrab 500!
#6DainbowRashPosted 4/30/2012 12:14:05 PM
Didn't you make a thread like this a while back? Last I remember the trolls sacked it. It's a shame, it was a pretty useful guide. Anyway, I've been wanting to start a build using this, so thanks for the info.
---
Opinions are a lot like onions. Throw one hard enough, and you'll eventually kill something.- MC2011
#7IamI3rian(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 12:16:12 PM
DainbowRash posted...
Didn't you make a thread like this a while back? Last I remember the trolls sacked it. It's a shame, it was a pretty useful guide. Anyway, I've been wanting to start a build using this, so thanks for the info.

Yeah, but it was only about the effects of criticals on bound weapons. This is a much more in depth guide (like how to get the spells etc) and contains a build. You are QUITE welcome. :) I like discussing this game almost as much as playing it.
---
Stole the mudcrab 500!
#8C_BurnsPosted 4/30/2012 12:18:14 PM
Been waiting for this thread! Looks awesome! I have been playing around with using a bounder, and have been doing bound sword/shield combo. It has been great to combine with bound bow which has gotten ridiculously awesome, even on Master.
#9DainbowRashPosted 4/30/2012 12:19:27 PM
IamI3rian posted...
Yeah, but it was only about the effects of criticals on bound weapons. This is a much more in depth guide (like how to get the spells etc) and contains a build. You are QUITE welcome. :) I like discussing this game almost as much as playing it.

If you're not careful, you'll be branded as a fanboy. *throws cloak of invisibility onto IamI3rian*

My favorite part of this game is finding new builds, and Bound Weapons have always intrigued me.
---
Opinions are a lot like onions. Throw one hard enough, and you'll eventually kill something.- MC2011
#10IamI3rian(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 12:53:22 PM
C_Burns posted...
Been waiting for this thread! Looks awesome! I have been playing around with using a bounder, and have been doing bound sword/shield combo. It has been great to combine with bound bow which has gotten ridiculously awesome, even on Master.

I'm glad someone was looking forward to it. :) Yeah the bow is great (best in the game acually), but the swords are often overlooked. The arrows are what makes the bow awesome. Once you level past around 40, it is not as crazy as it was before. Still the best bow though.

DainbowRash posted...
IamI3rian posted...

If you're not careful, you'll be branded as a fanboy. *throws cloak of invisibility onto IamI3rian*

My favorite part of this game is finding new builds, and Bound Weapons have always intrigued me.

Fanboy huh? Well, I'm male and I like the game. Seriously though, people confuse FAN with FANBOY way too often.

New builds are the best part of the game, I agree. Also, the bound weapons are so great looking that they attracted me to them early on. I gave up on them though, since I was a pure mage first and I wasn't doing any damage (since I had no 1 handed/archery skills/perks).
---
Stole the mudcrab 500!