ES was better when it wasn't mainstream

#1Eightlie33Posted 5/1/2012 8:26:41 AM
I remember playing Morrowind just exploring for hours with a feeling of deepness & profoundness while everyone was still playing Halo or GTA. I would tell people about Morrowind and they would have no idea what it was and would try it for 5 minutes and say "I don't get it". It always felt good to "get" a game that requires some intelligence and concentration to play.

When Oblivion came out the game got a little more popular but It wasn't that bad. They weren't catering to a wider audience.

But Skyrim...
It's an action game wrapped in RPG silver lining. Every one was talking about it. Every one was getting it. I couldn't go a day without hearing a million things about it. I no longer felt unique or had my little series anymore. Now I feel like a philistine like all the others playing this game..

Sad,
RIP the real elder scrolls
---
http://www.last.fm/music/Youth+Canoe
#2MC2011Posted 5/1/2012 8:29:55 AM
*plays bagpipes*
---
May God have mercy on your soul... - The Preacher
Because I sure as hell won't. - The Gunslinger
#3TholossPosted 5/1/2012 8:31:06 AM
Geneforge, Avadon, and Avernum.

That is all.
---
Barrels are the founders of all evil and statues are their minions.
#4I_Dont_AgreePosted 5/1/2012 8:31:08 AM
In a way, yes. Bethesda it seems had to do some tweaking to cater to everyone. But, since I'm here, I can't resist...

*Points at TC* Hipster!
---
''It's hot as hell in here.'' ''You see it too? For me, it's always like this.''
James, Angela- Silent Hill 2
#5PekovicPosted 5/1/2012 8:31:10 AM
I sort of feel the same....except I still think Skyrim is ****ing awesome and didn't disappoint me at all.
---
The Balkan Bulldozer
Go Radio- Close the Distance (August 14th, 2012)
#6daveliciousPosted 5/1/2012 8:33:05 AM
If the gameplay didn't evolve, even diehard morrowind fans wouldn't still be playing the series.

It's not just that the series has gone mainstream... they're just being smart and replacing the archaic systems to simulate what the games can now do in real time since the technology allows more control.
---
PSN: Davelicious GT: Davelicious46
NEW SETUP: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/Davelicious406/DSC02294.jpg
#7Carruth81Posted 5/1/2012 8:33:08 AM
I_Dont_Agree posted...
In a way, yes. Bethesda it seems had to do some tweaking to cater to everyone. But, since I'm here, I can't resist...

*Points at TC* Hipster!

Uh oh someone's gonna get a smiting!
---
I'm going to kill you slowly. Painfully. WITH A YAK. ~Demon Hunters
#8LithiumLegendPosted 5/1/2012 8:40:37 AM
I remember in an interview Todd Howard thought Oblivion was the game that was the one most trying to cater to an audience. Mostly in how it looked like any medevil type game you could think of. He thought Skyrim was like an inbetween of Morrowind and Oblivion where it caters to an audience and yet it has it's own unique look, yet some variety. He atleast seems to be pretty candid about his feelings towards his games.
---
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
#9Carruth81Posted 5/1/2012 8:49:07 AM
Hipsters were better when they weren't mainstream
---
I'm going to kill you slowly. Painfully. WITH A YAK. ~Demon Hunters
#10CruorComaPosted 5/1/2012 8:49:42 AM
The only problem I have with the mainstream direction is that it attracts the numb brained masses who produce awful ideas that I hope the devs never heed to(see: Multiplayer, Guns etc)
---
Gamertag: LordMahemium - RIP Sparky
Satanic Overlord of The Bar With No Name