Play without leveling

#1paulhaasePosted 5/8/2012 4:28:55 AM
Some time ago I read a post about playing the game at level one, no perks or increased stats, but can't find the post again.

Does anyone play this way, and what are the benefits?
#2BloodStainedAxePosted 5/8/2012 4:29:34 AM
Is...that even possible?
---
"I am death, and I am come.
And you are all gone"
#3joakimlindePosted 5/8/2012 4:34:20 AM
Ehm.. of course it is. You choose when to level up, after all...
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig
#4KevO44Posted 5/8/2012 5:29:10 AM
I would say that is not a good idea. Unlike Oblivion the leveling system of Skyrim has been updated.

In Oblivion enemies would stay weak if you stayed at a lower level. But you wouldn't see any good weapons or armor.

In Skyrim that has been changed, some dungeons are leveled to be easy. But their are dungeons that you have to be a higher level to survive. Also rare weapons and armor are attainable at lower levels in Skyrim. So they changed that from Oblivion.

Enemies are still leveled, but unlike Oblivion not all enemies and dungeons are scaled based on your characters level.
#5Machines_Of_DogPosted 5/8/2012 6:23:36 AM(edited)
see sig

this is my third play with master setting, no skill raises - i just keep adding more restrictions

i'm actually trying this one w/o become ethereal but i'm not sure i have the patience (or even if it is possible) really....some dungeons would be very hard w/o it but i will not start main quest for a while and see how it goes...

actually it is totally easy for the most part....beast form plays a large part obviously.....other than that you have gloves of the pugilist, staves, powers and shouts plus a dozen other ways to kill stuff....high levelled undead are really the only difficulty..

for my last file i used wabbajack just twice for raghot and nahkriin - all the other dragon priests go down foolishly easy to the strategy: marked for death, dragon skin, beast form ownage >_>

marked for death totally destroys everything to be fair

i'm currently at cure for madness in DB with thieves, mages and companions started....if i can beat cure for madness w/o become ethereal it will be the first time i have heh...

oh, and the benefits? - you don't have to bother raising skills so...

---
Currently: Skyrim, Master, No Skill Raises, No Followers, No Merchants, No Potions - Perfect Crafting Sheet
#6IamI3rianPosted 5/8/2012 6:28:48 AM
Machines_Of_Dog posted...
etc...

Would you test something for me? I recently read that using items (like a sword) with a fire enchant raises your destruction skill (a tiny bit). I don't believe it, BUT... when you turn to beast form with a weapon in your hands (with say, a fire enchantment) it transfers the enchant to your claws.

Since any of my characters have a fairly high destruction, and your is completely empty (I'd imagine) would you mind testing that out for me? I'm just curious if it levels the skill at all. I personally don't think it does, and CERTAINLY not while you're in beastform (it doesn't drain charges from the "sword" either). You can post here, or PM me, if you choose to do this.

If not, I suppose I have something ELSE to test.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
RIP MCA... :( A sad day.
#7Oil_Rope_BombsPosted 5/8/2012 6:47:18 AM
IamI3rian posted...
Machines_Of_Dog posted...
etc...

Would you test something for me? I recently read that using items (like a sword) with a fire enchant raises your destruction skill (a tiny bit). I don't believe it, BUT... when you turn to beast form with a weapon in your hands (with say, a fire enchantment) it transfers the enchant to your claws.

Since any of my characters have a fairly high destruction, and your is completely empty (I'd imagine) would you mind testing that out for me? I'm just curious if it levels the skill at all. I personally don't think it does, and CERTAINLY not while you're in beastform (it doesn't drain charges from the "sword" either). You can post here, or PM me, if you choose to do this.

If not, I suppose I have something ELSE to test.

I think it does drain your charges. I used a Fire weapon ALOT on one of my characters and my destruction never got up. But a funny way to level up your destruction is to jump on a blacksmith forge. It increases the skill for some reason.
---
KittyHeart is the best user GameFAQs has ever embraced.
I'm making a list of all legendary threads on GameFAQs. Please send me a link if you see one.
#8Machines_Of_DogPosted 5/8/2012 7:09:39 AM
cure for madness is done =)

Oil_rope_bombs posted...
But a funny way to level up your destruction is to jump on a blacksmith forge. It increases the skill for some reason.

never heard that one lol

IamI3rian posted...

i'll test destruction incremental raises with a fire enchanted sword and see what gives

i'll also test the claws.....i've seen it happen many times but, although it appears that an enchant is being used (ie charge decreasing) i'm not sure the enchant actually connects....pretty sure you just do regular wolf damage so i dunno if that would raise destruction..

i'll check it out and post back in this thread...
---
Currently: Skyrim, Master, No Skill Raises, No Followers, No Merchants, No Potions - Perfect Crafting Sheet
#9paulhaase(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2012 9:56:50 AM
I was thinking of a one-handed boxer (Khajit with a shield and Gloves of Pugilist) and maybe a bound bow (probably need novice hood and atronach stone for mana) for ranged damage. Both would appear to do good damage without perks on low level enemies, and I could even get the 2x damage from sneak attacks.
#10Machines_Of_DogPosted 5/8/2012 10:07:20 AM
^ go for it dude - you can always raise skills and just not level up>_>
---