Trying to play a pure thief

#1DuskMemoriaPosted 6/10/2012 4:43:23 PM
I'm trying to play as a pure khajiit thief and am planning on joining the thieves' guild at some point if possible, but i have a few questions.

If I join the thieves' guild at pretty much the first time I reach the stables in White Run, will I mess up any quests or anything in the future by going through that quest line first?

Would I be able to join the collage of winterhold to get access to the alchemy items there without using any magic? (I'm playing through it as a pure mage right now and it seems you need magic quite a bit.)

Should I take the following for a thief? Sneak, Lockpicking, Speech, Alchemy, Archery, One-handed, light armor and pick pocketing.

That's all the questions I have so far, so thanks to anyone who answers.
---
There's a reason games have save-points and save-files. It lets you learn whether that giant pit in front of you will kill you or not.
#2C_BurnsPosted 6/10/2012 4:45:40 PM
Pure "theif" would not include one handed.
#3DuskMemoria(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2012 4:50:03 PM
It wouldn't? ...Ahh, right, I guess it wouldn't. Well I'm a terrible thief.
---
There's a reason games have save-points and save-files. It lets you learn whether that giant pit in front of you will kill you or not.
#4phantom_arcane5Posted 6/10/2012 4:51:19 PM
^I can understand what you mean, but playing this game without really killing anything is kinda impossible, and yes, you have a bow, but it's not very convenient to use a bow in CQC.

Get One Handed for daggers,
Archery for sure.
fill in the sneak tree,
lockpicking isn't important, with a bit of skill, even a level 20 can unlock a master locked door. Lockpicks are also pretty abundant(and cheap).

Pickpocket is optional if you're going to steal items from people directly, I usually just bust in houses and grab whatnot.
Light armor is very suggested if you get yourself stuck in a bit of a corner XD
Being a thief, and not an assassin, alchemy won't help you that much.

This is how I played, and I'm working out just fine :)
---
WULD........ .......... ............. NA KEST!
M'aiq knows much, and tells some.
#5C_BurnsPosted 6/10/2012 4:51:20 PM
DuskMemoria posted...
It wouldn't? ...Ahh, right, I guess it wouldn't. Well I'm a terrible thief.

Haha Inwas just being a jerk. But the skills you picked looked great. I tried doing the sneaky type, but it is not for me. Build sounds fun!
#6JoeSnake132Posted 6/10/2012 4:54:53 PM
as long as you are aware that the speech, locksmith, and a majority of the pickpocket trees are HORRIBLE
---
Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!
#7l33t_haX0rzPosted 6/10/2012 4:56:02 PM
I play as a theif/assassin Khajiit as well.

Your skills sound good. But just level lock picking, don't bother with any of the perks. Picking a master lock really isn't that difficult. Unless one of the other perks in there really calls your name, I find I usually overlook that tree entirely.

If you want to be a theif. be sure to go a little into the pick pocket tree. The Extra pockets perk is really nice to have, as it adds an extra 100 carrying capacity to your character.

If you want to be an assassin, as it is really fun, the sneak tree is your friend. Sneak is, in my opinion, terribly OP. By level 50, you are pretty much able to hide in plain sight. It just starts getting ridiculous once you hit level 100 and can get the Shadow Warrior perk. Add the insane ability to sneak with the fact that you can do a 15x damage hit with a dagger from behind, and you will one-hit nearly any foe you sneak up on. Which at that point, is anyone. Even dragons :)

Also, Alchemy isn't REALLY needed unless you want it for role playing purposes. I find i don't really use my potions so much as sell them for insane amounts of cash. If that calls your name though, it's your game bro.

And if you are going for "pure thief", only use the bow. It's what I do, and I do just fine. Once you hit level 70 archery, and take the Quick Shot perk, you are laughing. Arrows are also weightless, so there is really no downfall to the amount of gear you need to carry. Couple archery with sneak, and the 6x sneak attack bonus is more than enough, plus, archery and sneak complement one another so well in this game.

I hope this helped. I have had a ton of fun with my thief Khajiit, I hope you have to same experience :D
---
GT: Unsigned Omerta
Halo 4 drops November 6th. Be there, or be trapezoidal.
#8phantom_arcane5Posted 6/10/2012 4:56:36 PM
^although I really enjoy the extra 100 Carry Weight <3
---
WULD........ .......... ............. NA KEST!
M'aiq knows much, and tells some.
#9lenmuttPosted 6/10/2012 5:29:40 PM
get throw voice useful for avoiding combat

my pure thief never fights haha did have to kill one person though but he was a dick to nocturnal so who cares ^_^
#10F_GalikanokusPosted 6/10/2012 6:13:10 PM
Pure thief is actually extremely fun and rewarding, but also extremely challenging. It's still viable though as you can still reverse-pickpocket poisons, use staffs, scrolls or followers to kill enemies.
---
"Let me tell you something if you don't like chicken and watermelon, something is wrong with you, there is something wrong with you!" -Dave Chappelle