Dual-casting vs One handed

#1dangshootPosted 6/18/2012 9:37:24 AM
What does everyone prefer? I'm a low level character only like 8 I think, and I've been primarily using dual casting with spells to do most damage. Once I learned magical ward I've used that for more difficult enemies.

Should I level up one handed as well? Or is that just a preferred play style?
---
Check out my game reviews - www.epinions.com/user-rock_on
PSN: dangshootboo | 3DS FC: 1375-7581-0003 | Xbox Live - dang5hoot
#2Argyle_GargoylePosted 6/18/2012 9:39:20 AM
once you can get the impact perk, 2 H destruction spells will stagger enemies. dual cast is pretty nasty.
---
Slaughter is the best medicine.
#3PotentialCyborgPosted 6/18/2012 9:45:35 AM
Take alchemy regardless of what you choose.

Anywho, Adept spells are for spellswords (no aiming and cloak spells ftw) and the expert spells are best used on pure mage builds( Wall spells get a boost for dual casting them).

One-handed lets you absorb magicka via enchanting and even reduce the enemies tolerance to spell damage via a poison, whereas Dual cast has stagger. Both are great, and are easy to switch between. Try both, or use your superb enchanting skills to skip leveling 1-h perks altogether and just rely on the massive element damage enchanting can allow weapons to do.
---
A baby seal walks into a club....
#4dangshoot(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 10:07:52 AM
I think I have like 4 perks available to use for upgrade; focus on destruction or conjuration and restoration as well?
---
#5Argyle_GargoylePosted 6/18/2012 10:10:56 AM
dangshoot posted...
I think I have like 4 perks available to use for upgrade; focus on destruction or conjuration and restoration as well?

what is your level, and what are you trying to do?

its nice to get at least the 1st restroration perk to make the healing spell more efficient.

are you trying to be a summoner or a destruction mage? plus. what perks do you already have and what are your skill levels?
---
#6IamI3rianPosted 6/18/2012 10:14:40 AM
Once an enemy is staggered, it's most efficient to hit them with two single cast spells. Dual casting costs 280% for only 220% damage increase. In fact, without stagger there's no reason to dual cast at all.

So yeah... My attacks are usually something like Dual... left...right...left...Dual...left..right....etc...

Anything different is a waste of mana really, especially at low levels. Elsweyr Fondue helps tough.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
{<>,<>} = Can't talk right now, the ghost owl's back!
#7Argyle_GargoylePosted 6/18/2012 10:18:49 AM
IamI3rian posted...
Once an enemy is staggered, it's most efficient to hit them with two single cast spells. Dual casting costs 280% for only 220% damage increase. In fact, without stagger there's no reason to dual cast at all.

So yeah... My attacks are usually something like Dual... left...right...left...Dual...left..right....etc...

Anything different is a waste of mana really, especially at low levels. Elsweyr Fondue helps tough.

this. until you echant 0 cast destruction gear. this is your best strategy to get the most out of your magicka.

also, dont be afraid to down a magicka potion. trust me. you will find more. and they arent difficult to make with alchemy. dont sit around and let an enemy wail on you while you wait to get more magicka. potions are most useful early on anyways. further into the game, yours regen rate will be much better, and you will have a bigger magic pool to start off a fight.

use your potions
---
#8dangshoot(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 10:23:59 AM
Alright thanks for the tips!
---
#9IamI3rianPosted 6/18/2012 10:30:09 AM
Argyle_Gargoyle posted...
until you echant 0 cast destruction gear.

Argyle... I accepted your friend request.

That said, that's a bad strategy for a mage, but a good one for a glass cannon. Just saying. No one needs stamina (veggie soup... infinite sprint).

No mage is going to get pounded... so they don't need huge health. That leaves magicka. With a FEW redux in different schools, and the casting of many spells mages are amazing. A mage is SO much more than a fireball staff.

Calm spells + atronachs (or zombies) + alteration (detect life to set up, paralyze for MORE control over the battle... flesh spells) + frenzy or chain lightning etc.. WAY better than spamming dual cast fireballs (and more fun!)

Some magicka regen + some redux + some(thing else... magic resistance... Fortify light armor (if Morokei is your magicka regen) MAYBE a double up on destruction or conjuration, Fortify magicka or stamina + some redux and perks in the right trees. That's how it's done. :p And Fondue. Always Fondue. It's a mage's veggie soup.

Don't forget resto for mangling those draugr. Well, scaring them away while your follower beats them down. At least that's how I do it.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
{<>,<>} = Can't talk right now, the ghost owl's back!
#10dangshoot(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 11:16:51 AM
Also, is there a shortcut to switching magic spells on the fly or do I have to go to the magic menu every time to equip..
---