Discerning the Transmundane + Elder Knowledge question (spoilers)

#1romana86Posted 6/22/2012 9:21:58 PM
I can't seem to find a clear answer on this:

If I'm completing Discerning the Transmundane, and this is before I've even been to High Hrothgar after being called by the Greybeards, can I leave the Elder Scroll in the Tower of Mzark and be able to return and take it later? Does its container remain open or does the whole device close? I've read in some places of the lexicon closing and being unable to open again which means you can't use it on the machine again... but then, why would you want to do that unless it's to get the Elder Scroll if you didn't grab it before right?

But I can't find anything that says "get the Elder Scroll at the same time you transcribe the lexicon or it glitches".

I need to know if I have to complete the main quest up to Elder Knowledge and then return to the Tower of Mzark and complete Discerning the Transmundane, basically. I'm trying to make this run as glitch-free as possible.

TIA!
#2IamI3rianPosted 6/22/2012 9:26:58 PM
romana86 posted...
stuff

There's no reason at all not to take it. It's a quest item, so it's weightless. I guess if you plan on playing Cihdna mine AFTER that, but... I tend to do that mission before I get any quest items.

Don't call me Tia.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
Jobless again. I'm lucky like that.
#3romana86(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2012 9:31:29 PM
IamI3rian posted...
romana86 posted...
stuff

There's no reason at all not to take it. It's a quest item, so it's weightless. I guess if you plan on playing Cihdna mine AFTER that, but... I tend to do that mission before I get any quest items.

Don't call me Tia.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if picking it up might do that thing where the quest doesn't recognize you have the quest item already or what, so that's a relief. I did have to pick it up like three times before it appeared in my inventory, weirdly enough.

(and I never see TIA here, so I don't know if it's a thing or not, but it means "thanks in advance" haha I know I have a habit of putting it after questions but I've just realized I don't know if it's known here cause I've never seen it :P)
#4IamI3rianPosted 6/22/2012 9:35:52 PM
romana86 posted...
IamI3rian posted...
romana86 posted...
stuff

Don't call me Tia.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if picking it up might do that thing where the quest doesn't recognize you have the quest item already or what, so that's a relief. I did have to pick it up like three times before it appeared in my inventory, weirdly enough.

(and I never see TIA here, so I don't know if it's a thing or not, but it means "thanks in advance" haha I know I have a habit of putting it after questions but I've just realized I don't know if it's known here cause I've never seen it :P)

Of course, I knew that.

I'm not CERTAIN... but there's quite a few ways you can lose quest items. By not certain I mean it's far more likely to cause a problem leaving it there.

Are we OI glitching by any chance?

Also, wait for another opinion. The main quest and this one in particular are not my strong suit. At all.
---
#5romana86(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2012 9:51:52 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6romana86(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2012 9:55:34 PM(edited)
romana86 posted...
IamI3rian posted...
romana86 posted...
IamI3rian posted...
romana86 posted...
stuff

Don't call me Tia.

Of course, I knew that.

I'm not CERTAIN... but there's quite a few ways you can lose quest items. By not certain I mean it's far more likely to cause a problem leaving it there.

Are we OI glitching by any chance?

Also, wait for another opinion. The main quest and this one in particular are not my strong suit. At all.

Yeah, I feel like I'm leveling faster than I should even though I'm pretty much only using magic, so I feel wayyyy under-levelled compared to what's going on around me. I like a challenge, but not that much lol And I already turned down my difficulty. I'm just not that good at using magic-- so many options and all and I get a big overwhelmed in close combat being so used to bows (though it does feel a bit better having just got bound bow). So I'm OI to equal up a bit (not to 81 though eek) and making myself some armor for sure. I don't like running around Skyrim without armor, it raises my anxiety TOO much haha

(eta, like I did Treva's Watch at level 17 and that first Bandit Chief killed me about 10 times before I finally put together a strategy to beat him and the other bandits... yeah, I suck at magic basically! But it's fun in its own way)

I saved right before I grabbed it though, and if anything I just won't complete the main quest on this character. No big loss anyhow with how much else to do.

I may play up to Elder Knowledge tomorrow though just to see because now I'm curious lol.

eta 2: it's clear it's time for me to go to sleep now :X
#7jammymacsterPosted 6/22/2012 10:01:22 PM
You're free to grab the Elder Scroll before the Elder Knowledge quest.
---
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here." - Peter Molyneux
#8IamI3rianPosted 6/22/2012 10:05:21 PM
romana86 posted...
Treva's Watch at level 17 and that first Bandit Chief killed me about 10 times before I finally put together a strategy to beat him and the other bandits... yeah, I suck at magic basically! But it's fun in its own way

eta..? That's one I REALLY don't know. Looks like it means "edit" though, which IS only one more letter. :)

Anyway, that^ is my FAVORITE part of the game. Coming up with strategies to not get whiped.

I'm not one to tell another what to do (or how for that matter) but honestly those are the "tough" levels for mages. Please don't OI, since you'll miss out on the "toughening" up process. Once you get some expert spells, you'll be golden. Getting to them though, will really help you learn spell combos etc..

That said, I TOTALLY understand you doing it. Getting beat down like that (bandit chiefs are crazy sometimes) is just not fun.
---
#9romana86(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2012 1:28:50 PM
IamI3rian posted...
romana86 posted...
Treva's Watch at level 17 and that first Bandit Chief killed me about 10 times before I finally put together a strategy to beat him and the other bandits... yeah, I suck at magic basically! But it's fun in its own way

eta..? That's one I REALLY don't know. Looks like it means "edit" though, which IS only one more letter. :)

Anyway, that^ is my FAVORITE part of the game. Coming up with strategies to not get whiped.

I'm not one to tell another what to do (or how for that matter) but honestly those are the "tough" levels for mages. Please don't OI, since you'll miss out on the "toughening" up process. Once you get some expert spells, you'll be golden. Getting to them though, will really help you learn spell combos etc..

That said, I TOTALLY understand you doing it. Getting beat down like that (bandit chiefs are crazy sometimes) is just not fun.

eta = edited to add, another habit of mine from another message board lol

I do like coming up with strategies, and I don't mind dying a few times, but it's a bit overkill right now. I haven't done the OI just yet, but I'm only doing it to add a few levels. I'm at 19 right now and I'm just going to 30, I think. I just need a bit of an increase for more ability and some better equipment so I can enjoy playing mage more.

I honestly think Bandit Chiefs are some of the toughest enemies in the game. I mean, they are just absolutely ridiculous. They've always got an insane amount of health, an insane armor rating, with high level armor with a ton of enchants, insane weapon ratings with high level weapons with crazy powerful enchantments. The Bandit Chief at Treva's Watch had this greatsword that absorbed health-- took all my health in one hit! Plus they SPAM attacks that would normally drain the PC of stamina. I hate them so much lol.
#10romana86(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2012 1:30:05 PM
jammymacster posted...
You're free to grab the Elder Scroll before the Elder Knowledge quest.

Thank you! I haven't touched the game since last night so I was ready to reload, but between you and Brian... I mean, you guys seem to know a lot about the game so I feel better about it at least!