DawnGuard Soul Cairn Questions

#1VelocityshotPosted 6/26/2012 4:29:13 PM
A couple things,

1. Where do I find the reaper gem fragments? I really want to fight the Reaper before leaving the Soul Cairn. Does he have good loot?:D

2. How do I open the iron bar gates? I'd think it has something to do with those large stones. WHich leads me to my next question. . .

3. What are those large thin stones with the light blue light coming from the top?

Thank you!
#2legendX66Posted 6/26/2012 4:51:36 PM
would like to know as well.
---
legendX66-Ten Tails H4X and Troll H4X Sexy secretary of Haxem Rangers
Thinking is the hardest kind of work, which is probably why so few engage in it.
#3MangoIllusionzPosted 6/26/2012 5:02:10 PM
I'm sure you can go back, the portal doesn't close when you leave
---
GT: Mango Illusionz
Twitter: @t_nicklin
#4RiverSong477Posted 6/26/2012 5:50:57 PM
The stones with the blue lights are used to open the iron gates. I personally just shot them with a firebolt and BAM I was in! :D Make sure to get both though, there seems to be 2 at each area. Have fun!
#5LenaMuffinPosted 6/26/2012 9:33:19 PM
I just found out, after searching on the internet a bit, that there are supposedly chests underneath the glowing crystals that suck your health that hold the fragments, but I haven't actually gone to look for them myself yet.
#6kyokittykatPosted 6/27/2012 1:35:32 AM
I have been playing the past few hours

Yes, under every large crystal that saps your health there is a chest, and under a few there is a peice of the ten notes you need for another side quest. I do not wish to spoil too much though.

I have 2 of the reaper stone fragments, but i do not know where to get anything else, i just went along the entire edges of how far you are able to go, and then traveled the middle, i did have a bit of a hard time with the glowing things, i had to use different destruction spells on them, one took flames, one took ice, and one took shock and vice versa.

I dont want to leave yet, in fear of either forgetting what im doing, or not being able to come back.

I hope i answered something at least. Anything else i can help with i would love to help or get help myself.
#7griffpitsPosted 6/27/2012 5:14:53 AM
I managed to find the 3 soul fragments and fight the reaper. I can't exactly remember where the pieces were but I just went to every major building and searched the chests. Once you find them you go back to the lair and place them on the pedestal and he spawns. Looks pretty vicious but once I killed him he only dropped 3 black soul gems and an iron weapon :/
#8TheWastingLightPosted 6/27/2012 3:50:11 PM
I've been spending a lot of time in the soul cairn and now even though I'm much further on in the storyline on the dawnguard side of things, I have returned.

I managed to find 8 out of the 10 pieces of parchment that make up one side quest and I found, NO reaper shards. Therefore I have taken to the web and found myself here!

Where on earth are they? A user or two posted that they're in chests below what seems to be the giant floating soul gems that suck the life out of you when you stand below them... But for me those chests where just filled with what you'd expect from a everyday chest, bits of gold, a shiny gem or the odd enchanted weapon... Anyone else found the reaper shards and wish to discuss?

It's very easy to sign up and contribute, I signed up moments ago to anyone reading this whos not a registered user...

Also to all explorers of the soul cairn... Make sure to search for Arvaks skull, it's something you don't want to miss!! Happy Skyrimming!
#9Arctic_SunrisePosted 6/27/2012 3:51:57 PM
I've got the skull, but no waypoint as to where to take it. :(
---
"I love finding threads like these, it's like walking outside and finding the city's been bombed while you were sleeping." - Blighboy
#10OxenhausPosted 6/27/2012 3:53:58 PM
TheWastingLight posted...
I've been spending a lot of time in the soul cairn and now even though I'm much further on in the storyline on the dawnguard side of things, I have returned.

I managed to find 8 out of the 10 pieces of parchment that make up one side quest and I found, NO reaper shards. Therefore I have taken to the web and found myself here!

Where on earth are they? A user or two posted that they're in chests below what seems to be the giant floating soul gems that suck the life out of you when you stand below them... But for me those chests where just filled with what you'd expect from a everyday chest, bits of gold, a shiny gem or the odd enchanted weapon... Anyone else found the reaper shards and wish to discuss?

It's very easy to sign up and contribute, I signed up moments ago to anyone reading this whos not a registered user...

Also to all explorers of the soul cairn... Make sure to search for Arvaks skull, it's something you don't want to miss!! Happy Skyrimming!

There's 3 reaper shards to get, what you have been told is correct but there's more than 3 chest to get them in, it's more of a pot luck until you know which ones they are in, just carry on searching for them and you will find them eventually
---
"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." - Robert Bloch