So how is the new DLC...Dawnguard? Worth the buy?

#1TheBigPinkPuffPosted 6/27/2012 1:46:05 AM
Yeah. How does it compare to the Shivering Isles. I loved that DLC. I know Dawnguard was developed quicker, but how good is it? I've been meaning to finish Skyrim but couldn't bring myself to play it after playing Dark Souls. DS completely ruined the combat for me (at the time). I'd be able to go back and play now...

How long is the DLC?
How much more 'content' in terms of weapons, armors, quests, side quests etc.

I remember TSI was a massive expansion and almost like its own world.
#2JackNurSnakPackPosted 6/27/2012 1:50:33 AM
TheBigPinkPuff posted...
Yeah. How does it compare to the Shivering Isles. I loved that DLC. I know Dawnguard was developed quicker, but how good is it? I've been meaning to finish Skyrim but couldn't bring myself to play it after playing Dark Souls. DS completely ruined the combat for me (at the time). I'd be able to go back and play now...

How long is the DLC?
How much more 'content' in terms of weapons, armors, quests, side quests etc.

I remember TSI was a massive expansion and almost like its own world.

It's about half the size of TSI at max. it's not nearly as large as die hards would have you believe.
---
"Lighthouses are more usefull than churches" - Benjamin Franklin-
#3MyMockingbirdPosted 6/27/2012 1:51:26 AM
It's odd, unlock the Shivering Isles, it doesnt add massive new areas, a few new good sized ones, but not massive, however, that being said, it feels like an overhual, a good bit of new items and quests, a worth while companion, and tw new factions, throw in the vampire and werewolf bits and you have the expantion,

That being said, it took me roughly to 12 ours to complete 1 (out of 2) factions with out side quests, so yeah, given that things in the DLC will affect the game in an everlasting manner (I.E. Vampire raids, and tweaks to vampirism making it very appealing to vampire players) I'd say it's definatly worth it.

However, before starting it there are accounts of bugs, I, personally, never had any at all, but there seem to be a few save depending ones, before the download, just to be safe, make a few varying saves in a few locations, just for back up,

So yeah, go get it champ.
#4runner5676Posted 6/27/2012 1:51:26 AM
It's a different kind of DLC. It's not like SI in the sense that it's an explorable area, it's more like KOTN in that there's a big questline which adds a few new dungeons.

It's got more meat on it than KOTN and the questline can be played through as two different factions.

It also acts sort of as a stronghold DLC in that you can earn a castle for each of the faction questlines.
---
Beth fanboy logic: "This rat poison comes in a bigger container than this champagne, so clearly it's the better value." Duckyhunter
#5DontEatThatPiePosted 6/27/2012 1:53:37 AM
You get Serana, and she is just lovely.

Worth every penny.
---
RIP Halofan9912 ~ 3/19/2012
GT: DontEatThatPie
#6Captain_CastlePosted 6/27/2012 1:54:26 AM
DontEatThatPie posted...

Worth every penny.

I'm probably gonna end up having to kill her, since I'm gonna decimate her entire castle
---
Gt: Cpt Castle Twitter: @cptncastle
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1940536406.png
#7M4TTB4K3RPosted 6/27/2012 1:56:48 AM
I'm going to say it is definitely worth it just for the soul cairn. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about getting soul gems ever again.
---
GT: matbak
#8gamrls57Posted 6/27/2012 1:58:49 AM
Idk if it is comparable to Shivering Isles ... I loved that one too. Is is really good though. Serana (and her AI and dialogue) for a companion is worth it.

The quest for Arvak (horse summons) is a welcome addition. It is so handy to be able to summon a horse when ever it's needed. Like when over-encumbered. Like for me, often.

It adds 2 new huge areas to explore, 2 castles, more characters, and the werewolf perk tree, which is very awesome imho.

There is a new shout to learn, lots of new loot and new spells and the new legendary dragons, which I haven't encountered yet.

Of course there are the 2 new factions. On the whole I think that it is worth the money.
#9runner5676Posted 6/27/2012 2:00:10 AM
DontEatThatPie posted...

Worth every penny.

She reminds me of this ugly anorexic neighbour I had.

Different strokes for different folks.
---
Beth fanboy logic: "This rat poison comes in a bigger container than this champagne, so clearly it's the better value." Duckyhunter