How to get chillrend early.

#1davinthegreat98Posted 7/2/2012 5:32:23 AM
So I'm doing the thieves guild questline and i have to break into the riften house, i didn't ask anyone in the guild on how to get in so i had to make my own way.

Eventually i figured out that there's a barrel in the houses backyard that you can jump on, then jump to the gate dividing the backyard to the temple, then onto the roof of the house, then you can jump/sprint your guy up to the flat part of the roof on top of the house and fall onto the balcony, and pick the lock. don't try to knock the ramp down my sprinting at it, it doesn't work, you will fall right through it.

For anyone who hasn't done the questline, this is also possible, there is a secret wardrobe that opens up in the downstairs room, watch out for traps, and eventually you'll find a room with a bust of the gray fox and a certain persons plans, take them both along with chillrend over in the display case on the right.

For any who don't know, chillrend is a sword that levels with you, the longer you wait the better. This is also helpful to anyone who already did the dark brotherhood questline as you may have killed someone important to that thieves guild and will be unable to complete the thieves guild questline.

Thank you for your time.
---
Not changing this sig until i fix my time machine.
Finished on 8/26/2012
#2IamI3rianPosted 7/2/2012 5:36:14 AM
You ought to mark spoilers my friend.

You can knock it down with an arrow. In fact, I don't think there's another way to do it (maybe tk... or a spell?).

As you say, it's better the longer you wait. Why would you WANT it early?

Is there somethig I'm missing here?
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
Currently testing more than playing :)
#3UjigumPosted 7/2/2012 5:42:43 AM
could we use this method without doing the thieves guild questline at all?!
---
recovering skooma addict
#4lenmuttPosted 7/2/2012 5:43:30 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5VOLCOM333Posted 7/2/2012 5:44:06 AM
Because you might not want to do theives guild quests with a certain character. Or you might be stuck on the numerous glitches Skyrim has, unable to complete the theives guild.

And you should fully expect minor spoilers in a topic like this before you ever come in.
---
"Know your pro athletes before you try to spell their names please....(It's) McGuire" -- brewcrew125
#6lenmuttPosted 7/2/2012 5:49:19 AM
VOLCOM333 posted...
Because you might not want to do theives guild quests with a certain character. Or you might be stuck on the numerous glitches Skyrim has, unable to complete the theives guild.

And you should fully expect minor spoilers in a topic like this before you ever come in.

yeah basically what I was thinking, in Oblivion the sword wasnt associated with the guild so maybe some player want it with out dealing with them.

and it works wonder if you do it early will it break the quest line?
#7Argyle_GargoylePosted 7/2/2012 5:54:08 AM
the spoiler thing is valid. the topic title makes no mention of the thieves guild. not everyone (particularly the person being spoiled) is going to be aware that you get chillrend through the TG quests (or at least related areas)

spoiler tags are just common courtesy.

and yes, chillrend is leveled, so if you are concerned about getting the best possible one, you need to wait to get it. i believe it tops out at lvl 46 or so.

still, if you wanted to get it early, it would make a pretty good early game weaposn, and then you could just smith it to make it better later on. no way to make the enchantment better, but if you'd rather use it than waiting through most of the game before getting it, this helps.
---
Crazy? Crazy with low prices on Wind Brahmin. You buy one!!
#8lenmuttPosted 7/2/2012 5:56:17 AM
by the way TC u don't need the barrel the fires out side the temple work as well
#9jammymacsterPosted 7/2/2012 6:01:24 AM
Don't take the plans. Doing so can break the quest The Pursuit.
---
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here." - Peter Molyneux
#10IamI3rianPosted 7/2/2012 6:02:42 AM
VOLCOM333 posted...

I thought "early" implied level wise, not "skipping part of the TG-wise." Especially the part where he mentioned he was doing the quests for the guild. Just sayin.

Also, believe me... nothing was spoiled for me. I'm simply giving him a heads up. The mods can get crazy around here.

lenmutt posted...
wonder if you do it early will it break the quest line?

I'd imagine if you only take the sword everything would be fine. Never tested that though.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
Currently testing more than playing :)