Skyrim won't load old saves after Dawnguard downloaded

#1MountainMan41Posted 7/5/2012 8:15:13 PM
Playing on Xbox 360. Paid big bucks to get the official download Dawnguard which seemed to download OK. When I try to start my game using any of my recent saves I get an item showing on the screen zooming back and forth and the moving smoke for a little more than a minute then everything freezes and the only thing I can do is reboot with the power button on the console. IF I press the lighted big center button (sorry I don't know what it is called) I do get the quick sliding tone same as when you are changing a menu, but nothing happens. And I can only do that one time...after the first time I don't even get the tone.

I WAS able to start a new game but of course Dawnguard is not active until level 10 or more so don't know if it works or not.

Somewhere else I read about someone downloading then "putting the downoad into the game." Is there something I need to do to add the Dawnguard? When I first start the game it goes through several seconds where it says "downloading addons" but does not freeze during that message.

Please help me. I would really like to play the character I have at level 70...not start a new character right now.

Oh yes... I cleared the cache since I saw that as a help for games that don't load.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.
#2PotentialCyborgPosted 7/5/2012 8:17:21 PM
Start new game and load the old afterwards.
Fo3 did this alot. Loading an older/ new file and then loading the main one usually fixed it then.
---
A baby seal walks into a club....
#3MountainMan41(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2012 8:32:41 PM
PotentialCyborg posted...
Fo3 did this alot. Loading an older/ new file and then loading the main one usually fixed it then.

I had actually thought of trying that and it did not work. I was able to load my level 1 save then tried to transfer to my level 70 save and it froze after about a minute.
#4clone11Posted 7/5/2012 8:34:29 PM
Try uninstalling Dawnguard and loading one of the broken saves, see if that's actually the problem and it's not something different.
---
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.
#5MountainMan41(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2012 8:50:30 PM
MountainMan41 posted...

I had actually thought of trying that and it did not work. I was able to load my level 1 save then tried to transfer to my level 70 save and it froze after about a minute.

Just tried one more time from new game. Can't get to former saves until the first autosave in the courtyard after the intro. As soon as the autosave showed on the screen I went to a level 70 save but it froze just like all my other tries. Is there a way to remove Dawnguard without haveing to buy it again? Would like to verify that other updates were not the cause. I had not played for a while and there were a couple updates that happened when I first loaded it the other day.
#6PotentialCyborgPosted 7/5/2012 8:55:23 PM(edited)
MountainMan41 posted...
MountainMan41 posted...

Just tried one more time from new game. Can't get to former saves until the first autosave in the courtyard after the intro. As soon as the autosave showed on the screen I went to a level 70 save but it froze just like all my other tries. Is there a way to remove Dawnguard without haveing to buy it again? Would like to verify that other updates were not the cause. I had not played for a while and there were a couple updates that happened when I first loaded it the other day.

What were you doing prior?

Did it happen to be the TG dwemer museum quest?
If so, remove all the Museum keys from your inventory.

Also, once you buy something, you can redownload it from that account over and over.
---
A baby seal walks into a club....
#7MountainMan41(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2012 9:29:30 PM
MountainMan41 posted...
MountainMan41 posted...

Just tried one more time from new game. Can't get to former saves until the first autosave in the courtyard after the intro. As soon as the autosave showed on the screen I went to a level 70 save but it froze just like all my other tries. Is there a way to remove Dawnguard without having to buy it again? Would like to verify that other updates were not the cause. I had not played for a while and there were a couple updates that happened when I first loaded it the other day.

UPDATE: Have successfully loaded a level 10 save. Now I need to find out where my saves will still load I guess. But sure would like to load one of the last 5 or 6 saves since I got some neat stuff during that time and don't even remember what it was or where I got it. Will try a level 65 save and see how that goes then go forward from there IF I get that one to load...or work my way back....
#8MountainMan41(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2012 9:41:58 PM
MountainMan41 posted...
MountainMan41 posted...
MountainMan41 posted...

Just tried one more time from new game. Can't get to former saves until the first autosave in the courtyard after the intro. As soon as the autosave showed on the screen I went to a level 70 save but it froze just like all my other tries. Is there a way to remove Dawnguard without having to buy it again? Would like to verify that other updates were not the cause. I had not played for a while and there were a couple updates that happened when I first loaded it the other day.

UPDATE: Have successfully loaded a level 10 save. Now I need to find out where my saves will still load I guess. But sure would like to load one of the last 5 or 6 saves since I got some neat stuff during that time and don't even remember what it was or where I got it. Will try a level 65 save and see how that goes then go forward from there IF I get that one to load...or work my way back....

Newer update: A level 50 loaded...A level 68 did not. I really would hate to give up 20 levels. Will try to see if I can find the highest level that will load and then analyze what was going on at that time. It was probably a couple of months ago that I played last so don't really remember what I was doing during last saves. I do know that level 68 loaded at one time, though. Going to sleep on it and try again tomorrow.