The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Anyone else disappointed by Dawnguard???

#1Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/8/2012 7:37:32 PM
Unless you play as a werewolf or vampire, which i dont, the only worthwhile thing you get are the snow elf armor and that bow....anyone else a tad disappointed???
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#2zeroboboPosted 7/8/2012 7:41:54 PM
i enjoy alot of the new features and the dawnguard faction is pretty good if you're ont playing as a werewolf or vampire.

new armor/weapons.
new followers
new pets (troll and husky dogs)
new spells.

all of which apply to the entirety of the rest of the game.

so yeah, i think its worth it, sure i play as a werewolf, but i dont use it very often, its more of a "oh ****" button for me than anything else. like if i die a bunch against an enemy i'll pop werewolf and abuse the knockback attack lol.

i do think it was alittle overpriced, but i dont regret buying it, addin ga bunch of cool stuff to my favorite game in years? yeah, worth it.
#3KaleRylanPosted 7/8/2012 7:43:22 PM
Okay, first off you clearly completed it, so I'll go with spoilers.

I loved it. I like the castle, I like the new equipment. Did you find Auriel's shield? That is an AWESOME shield, a couple of fun new shouts, and yes the bow. I also picked up some of the new spells, though I haven't fiddled too much with that. I also used the crossbow for most of my new playthrough, which is pretty awesome, but then they give you an amazing bow at the end that sort of steals the crossbow's thunder, I thought that was a weird choice.

I will say this for the dlc though, it's clearly not an 'endgame' dlc. A lot of the equipment was stuff that's good for the middle-levels of the game (I made a new guy so it was great for me).

I do hope that for the next dlc or the one after that, they do a specifically endgame dlc that gives a lot of stuff that is good for a high-level character, rather than one or two good endgame items and a lot of early-level stuff.
#4Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2012 7:45:42 PM
KaleRylan posted...

I loved it. I like the castle, I like the new equipment. Did you find Auriel's shield? That is an AWESOME shield, a couple of fun new shouts, and yes the bow. I also picked up some of the new spells, though I haven't fiddled too much with that. I also used the crossbow for most of my new playthrough, which is pretty awesome, but then they give you an amazing bow at the end that sort of steals the crossbow's thunder, I thought that was a weird choice.

I will say this for the dlc though, it's clearly not an 'endgame' dlc. A lot of the equipment was stuff that's good for the middle-levels of the game (I made a new guy so it was great for me).

I do hope that for the next dlc or the one after that, they do a specifically endgame dlc that gives a lot of stuff that is good for a high-level character, rather than one or two good endgame items and a lot of early-level stuff.

no i didnt find the shield....where did you get that?
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#5WillSimplyBePosted 7/8/2012 7:52:43 PM
KaleRylan posted...

I'm definitely in this boat too. Love it love it love it. They added quite a few nifty things that can't be replicated by enchanting already, which is one of my favorite things about it besides a nice plot with some surprisingly good characters. And there's a *TON* more to it than just the VL and Werewolf perk trees...

I did find it kind of odd too, with the bows at the end after touting crossbows, but i guess it at least makes a point of showing the viability of both, sorta.

And as far as an Endgame DLC, i'd think it best to follow the New Vegas Route, Save the biggest of the baddest of the brokenest endgame type stuff for last. Harder for people to just rush for it and make everything else trivial that way.
As for
#6WillSimplyBePosted 7/8/2012 7:56:41 PM
oops, darn not being able to edit and add more to my posts yet....

But I LOVE the New Restoration spells! They really give the school some spice. Restoration had nice perks... but... well, before, restoration only had the healing spells, the debatably useful wards, and the debatably useless turning spells. Now you get low magicka cost offensive options that only hurt undead, helping you keep your allies or civilians out of the crossfire. It really finally opened up some options for a Paladin/Cleric-type restoration focused character.

That's definitely another big plus for the DLC in my opinion.
#7ChesterthecommiPosted 7/8/2012 8:00:40 PM
I thought the new areas like the Soul Cairn and the Forgotten Vale were pretty kewl. I didn't care for most of the new items though, especially because I made a two handed warrior right before Dawnguard came out.
#8KaleRylanPosted 7/8/2012 8:09:42 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
KaleRylan posted...

no i didnt find the shield....where did you get that?

It's a bit complicated to explain, so I suggest just looking it up. In short, you go to the forbidden vale and kill Ice giants, specifically one in the inner sanctum. They all drop paragon stones which you can use on a portal in the Vale to go to treasure areas. One of the areas has a falmer using auriel's shield. The shield is awesome, it looks cool and has a natural fus ro dah enchant on it.

@ Chester: I can see how that would be a problem. Not a lot of two-hander rewards. The Rune Hammer is cool though and at least you can make some dragon bone weapons.