Choosing stewards

#1LordTrinenPosted 9/10/2012 3:33:13 PM
I've restarted so I can get all three Hearthfire properties (stupid Falkreath glitches) and I'm trying to decide who to have as stewards of my three homes.

My Hjaalmarch/Morthal home is going to be my alchemy base. It will have the alchemy lab wing, greenhouse and library. I'll probably have Eola be my steward there. She seems like a good fit for that house and the surroundings.

The Pale/Dawnstar home will be my enchanting/armory/trophy house, my "man cave" so to speak. Since I'll be doing a lot of enchanting here and displaying my enchanted arsenal I'm leaning towards picking someone magically-inclined to watch other the place. Maybe someone from the College? Or maybe what's-her-name from Darklight Tower?

Lakeview Manor in Falkreath, like with most people, will be my family home. My top candidates for this home are Aela or Rayya the housecarl. Does Aela still call you Harbinger if you make her a steward? And do the new Hearthfire housecarls ever enter the house itself? With my last character I made my housecarls stewards right away. But before that they never seemed to go inside. They just wandered around outside and I swear the Dawnstar housecarl kept wandering back and forth between my home and Dawnstar. A long walk.

Thoughts?
#2Talon5967Posted 9/10/2012 3:45:48 PM
Falkreath will also be my main home. I've decided I want Illia as the steward, to back up Rayya with her magic. Especially after an incident with a different character. As soon as I got back to the house after getting Illia, a dragon showed up, that both Rayya and Illia made short work of.

As for the other two houses, the only decision I've made is that since both housecarls for those houses are male, I'll get a female steward to... keep them company.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Gamertag: Talon Omega
#3Cast_SupremacyPosted 9/10/2012 3:48:23 PM
Talon5967 posted...
Falkreath will also be my main home. I've decided I want Illia as the steward, to back up Rayya with her magic. Especially after an incident with a different character. As soon as I got back to the house after getting Illia, a dragon showed up, that both Rayya and Illia made short work of.

As for the other two houses, the only decision I've made is that since both housecarls for those houses are male, I'll get a female steward to... keep them company.

Does Illia work for you? you can still take her out questing after making her a Steward?

Also, any tips for Rayya showing up? She's not at my house, and can't find her in Falkreath
#4Cast_SupremacyPosted 9/10/2012 4:52:39 PM
*bump*
#5LordTrinen(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2012 5:51:34 PM
Another bump.
#6Fate_AssassinPosted 9/10/2012 6:02:09 PM
If you already have a steward can you have a different follower become the steward instead?
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
#7Talon5967Posted 9/10/2012 6:58:08 PM
Fate_Assassin posted...
If you already have a steward can you have a different follower become the steward instead?

Only by killing them. Retirement for stewards is permanent in Skyrim.

Cast_Supremacy posted...
Talon5967 posted...

Does Illia work for you? you can still take her out questing after making her a Steward?

Also, any tips for Rayya showing up? She's not at my house, and can't find her in Falkreath

I don't think I can really help you. I think my situation was a bit different.

I didn't have a follower when I got Rayya (in the two characters that even got the dialogue option to do the jarl's quests, out of four that I tried), so I made her a follower immediately. For both of those characters, going to Falkreath was the first thing I did. Both of them were brand new characters. One of the characters that did not get the dialogue option was also new, and was the reason for the fourth (which is also my current).

In the only file that I got Illia (the second), I was already at the house when I sent Rayya away. And honestly, I got Illia for the sole purpose of making her steward. I didn't try to take her as a follower after that, but I also switched to another character right after making her steward. I'll try with the new one. There's only one or two more things I want to do before going for her anyway.

I actually don't really use followers. Despite my character being a giant hulking nord in heavy armor, I still prefer a bit of stealth, at least to get the first shot in. And I'm addicted to stealth kills. That kind of requires me to be alone. I also like using Stormcall, which definitely requires me to be alone. I love marching into a bandit camp, triggering Stormcall, and then watching them get nailed by lightning every few seconds while they swarm around me. It's worth the 300 second cooldown. Just have to make sure I park the horse a ways away.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Gamertag: Talon Omega