Champion of Cyrodiil still alive?

#11NicodaemosPosted 9/16/2012 5:29:44 PM
From: BarneyMcbiggle | Posted: 9/16/2012 6:22:24 PM | #001
Did Oblivion have an eventual cut-off or can you progress the game until you match up with Skyrim's current date?

I guess you can, theoretically. Realistically, the CoC could still be alive if they were a mer. Though, it would be a safer bet to consider them dead, or at the very least permanently MIA.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#12clone11Posted 9/16/2012 5:29:52 PM
assassin2568 posted...
ill take a beer. not gonna go through this sober

Two fitty.
---
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.
#13RPGMaster Right HerePosted 9/16/2012 5:29:52 PM
Well, if you look at it that way, nothing is canon, cause you don't HAVE to do any of the quests in Oblivion or Skyrim if you don't want to. :/
---
Official Marine of PotD/Official Creator of w00tbeer
U.S. Marine Corps - BX Data Systems
#14CryingStarPosted 9/16/2012 5:31:42 PM(edited)
Yes and no. It's one of those timey-wimey things that David Tennant needs to weigh in on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw

The problem is the Tamriellic calendar. As long as you're still playing Oblivion, you're in the Third Era. Skyrim begins 201 years after the Fourth Era starts.

Now, according to the canon, the Third Era ended in 433. So, it could be argued that in 3E634, you would be at the same point in time as the events of Skyrim, at the time they would have taken place according to the canon. But, the counterpoint to that is that the events in Skyrim took place in 4E201, which is ALWAYS 201 years after the end of the Third Era, no matter what year your game ended it.
---
"I know the knife is supposed to go next to the spoon, but where does the gun go?"
~~Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report (9/19/2008)
#15GriffRobertsPosted 9/16/2012 5:30:38 PM
The CoC either died of old age or mantled Sheogorath by now. It's an age old argument whether or not the character that mantled Sheo was the CoC, though. I'll leave that argument to people who care.

The Nerevarine is still alive, though. Part of being Nerevarine involves being ageless, and certain lore says the Nerevarine went to Akavir after taking care of business on Vvardenfell.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#16DainbowRashPosted 9/16/2012 5:31:06 PM
RPGMaster Right Here posted...
Well, if you look at it that way, nothing is canon, cause you don't HAVE to do any of the quests in Oblivion or Skyrim if you don't want to. :/

The quests in Skyrim being completed is canon. The only thing that isn't is that the Dragonborn is the one to complete them.
---
Gamefaqs should be your home, if happiness and friendship isn't your thing.
http://mylittlefacewhen.com/f/7784/
#17clone11Posted 9/16/2012 5:31:28 PM
Also, gonna be serious for a second, even if it were absolute fact that the CoC became Sheo, it's irrelevant. He ceased to be the CoC when he mantled Sheo. So, for all intents and purposes, he would still be dead.
---
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.
#18assassin2568Posted 9/16/2012 5:32:01 PM
would that mean (assuming its canon) that jygalag and sheo are now seperate entities? jyg doesnt turn into sheo again?
---
Im not a bum, I just dont want to go through those complex home ownership procedures!
#19zeroboboPosted 9/16/2012 5:32:27 PM
my CoC wouldnt be so unfunny.

randomly yelling "CHEEEEEEEESE" is NOT funny. my CoC had a good sense of humor.
#20BarneyMcbiggle(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2012 5:32:47 PM
CryingStar posted...
Yes and no. It's one of those timey-wimey things that David Tennant needs to weigh in on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw

The problem is the Tamriellic calendar. As long as you're still playing Oblivion, you're in the Third Era. Skyrim begins 201 years after the Fourth Era starts.

Now, according to the canon, the Third Era ended in 433. So, it could be argued that in 3E634, you would be at the same point in time as the events of Skyrim, at the time they would have taken place according to the canon. But, the counterpoint to that is that the events in Skyrim took place in 4E201, which is ALWAYS 201 years after the end of the Third Era, no matter what year your game ended it.

Doesn't the 4th era start in calendar on completion of the main quest?
---
"Why are you wearing a tuxedo?"
"It's after 6 P.M. Lemon. What am I? A Peasant?"