Does anyne else not like using mage builds?

#1Samaellives91Posted 10/8/2012 6:26:17 AM
I find the majority of magic powers just useless and innacurate to hit. The only destruction magic I find does a lot of damage is Fireball and Lightning, Conjuration is the only one I actually like because who doesn't like having two Dremora Lords fighting at your side?
---
My name is John Johnson, but everyone here calls me Vicky.
#2Jprime666Posted 10/8/2012 6:27:24 AM
Times like these I'm glad to be playing the pc version.
---
Eh- Sexy Lady oh oh oh oh
#3defjamz26Posted 10/8/2012 6:39:50 AM
I don't. Yeah, Conjuration is much better. I dont really see the appeal in the pure mage builds. Just not my cup of tea personally. I've tried and after awhile just spamming Fire blast and lightning bolts tires.

I prefere characters who have some magic but don't just rely on it. Currently working on a Vampire build who will be a Daedra worshipper but uses One handed weapons, and lightning based magic.

My last class was a Witch Hunter(still in progress) who relied on the conjured bow. Swtiched to conjured swords when things got sticky though.
---
Not changing sig untill Somoa Joe comes to WWE. Started 1/15/12
#4RampagingwalrusPosted 10/8/2012 6:39:54 AM
I dislike mage builds, because the best spells are ice, but nearly everything in Skyrim resists it.
That, and one usually needs to abuse enchanting to be able to have enough magicka to clear rooms.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#5ForgottenLegendPosted 10/8/2012 8:14:13 AM
Running the Arcane Bladesman build as seen on theskyrimblog with the Atronach stone and I very rarely run out of magicka as you can abuse the absorb magicka power so easily. Those fire traps are basically free magicka potions, just set one on fire then walk in it, easy peasy. You also can absorb things like disease attacks from skeevers and wolves so there are plenty of ways to restore lost magicka easy. With the Atronach stone I swear it is impossible to run out of magicka against dragons.

However I have to say my most successful builds have been away from magic. I enjoy magic builds though because you have to think about the situation a bit more. It's not as much rinse and repeat fireball as someone above suggested if you don't want it to be.
---
GT: GOLDU5T
#6NicodaemosPosted 10/8/2012 8:24:09 AM
I find the majority of magic powers just useless and innacurate to hit.

Elaborate.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#7Nanaya27Posted 10/8/2012 9:06:36 AM
I love mage builds because of the versatility. It offers many more interesting approaches to battle. Once you get to the higher levels, you can go through a whole dungeon and handle each room a different way. That's something you simply can't do with a non-magic build.
#8Samaellives91(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 10:24:06 AM
Nicodaemos posted...

Elaborate.

I fired an Icy Spear at a troll while it was doing it's jumping tantrum, and the spear somehow went right past it and hit the wall behind it, and that is not the only time it has happened and with other similar abilities. In the Alteration tree the only spell I use that I find useful is Transmutation.
---
My name is John Johnson, but everyone here calls me Vicky.
#9NicodaemosPosted 10/8/2012 10:45:34 AM
I fired an Icy Spear at a troll while it was doing it's jumping tantrum, and the spear somehow went right past it and hit the wall behind it, and that is not the only time it has happened and with other similar abilities. In the Alteration tree the only spell I use that I find useful is Transmutation.

You don't find any use in Detect Life? Paralysis? Frenzy? Wards? Healing?
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#10ObviousssPosted 10/8/2012 10:51:37 AM
Samaellives91 posted...
Nicodaemos posted...

Elaborate.

Whoa there, your single specific example is convincing all of us way too fast
---
XBL GT: Corvolt