Muffled Movement vs. Muffle Enchantment

#1LordTrinenPosted 10/8/2012 5:59:02 PM
Last character I made I found dozens of Muffle boots in shops while searching for Waterbreathing gear. Now I'm finding lots of Waterbreathing items but no Muffle boots. Maddening.

Then I remembered that the Sneak skill has the Muffled Movement perk.

Which is better, the perk or the enchantment?
#2jammymacsterPosted 10/8/2012 6:08:12 PM
From my understanding Muffled Movement is effectively Muffle with a magnitude of 0.5 which is a 50% reduction in sound from armour. Most items with the enchantment (except for unique items) are also 0.5 BUT custom enchanted boots with Muffle have a magnitude of 1 which is a 100% reduction in sound from armour.

So custom-enchanted boots with Muffle are better than the Muffled Movement perk.

However, the Silence perk also gives a Muffle effect with a magnitude of 1.
---
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here." - Peter Molyneux
#3casimirneyPosted 10/8/2012 6:42:31 PM
^ basically.

Not sure that bit about the silent perk is accurate. But it could be.

Predator's grace are light boots that have a magnitude of 1. They are available petty early if you know what you're doing.

Nightingale boots (l.32 and up) have an magnitude of... 32 I think. So that's 3200% silent. I like to imagine that ambient sounds are actually absorbed and that guy you're sneaking up to hears absolute silence before he dies... but that's just me.
#4IamI3rianPosted 10/8/2012 8:18:37 PM
casimirney posted...
^ basically.

Not sure that bit about the silent perk is accurate. But it could be.

Predator's grace are light boots that have a magnitude of 1. They are available petty early if you know what you're doing.

Nightingale boots (l.32 and up) have an magnitude of... 32 I think. So that's 3200% silent. I like to imagine that ambient sounds are actually absorbed and that guy you're sneaking up to hears absolute silence before he dies... but that's just me.

Nightingale = 35. For what that's worth.

Also, just to correct jammy, predator's grace and Nightingale are the only uniques with 100% muffle.

Everything else here is accurate. 35 is max level... it's possible there's a level you can obtain them, where they are < 1. I don't know.
---
IamI3rian told ya
It's a secret to everybody
#5LordTrinen(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 9:14:20 PM
So in other words I should resume my painful search for the Muffle boots? Taking Muffled Movement or maybe Muffled Movement and Silence would be a waste?
#6IamI3rianPosted 10/8/2012 9:17:01 PM
Or just go get Predator's Grace. = D
---
IamI3rian told ya
My voice is my violence
#7LordTrinen(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 9:20:23 PM
IamI3rian posted...
Or just go get Predator's Grace. = D

If they could be disenchanted I would. But I'm trying to make custom-enchanted armor sets for my character. I would prefer to have an item I can disenchant and then re-enchant whatever I want.