Skyrim keeps freezing?

#1Zeru64Posted 10/22/2012 12:49:17 AM
So...I installed Skyrim on a hard drive I got a while back, and it's been good...until lately. I've had it freeze on a loading screen a good 2 or 3 times today. I cleared my cache, but it just froze again...does this just happen, or is my hard drive starting to crap out already? I've only been using it for Skyrim for like, a week.. >.>;
---
o]-{
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
#2M_de_graaffPosted 10/22/2012 5:13:09 AM
A few questions: do you have the latest patch? Is this an older savegame (started a few months ago?) How big is your savegame/playtime?

Is you have not patched the game it might be the Nucleair Nirnroot bug. Nirnroot plants glow, but the unpatched game did not clean up the glow when you picked the Nirnroot.

If you picked the same Nirnroot multiple times all the glows would stack and would eventualy cause the game to freeze when you get close to the glow.

If you do have the patch and it's an savegame started before the patch it might be that your game just never cleaned up the Nirnroot glow.

It can also mean your savegame is getting to big (15-18 MB) which can cause the game to freeze. Not sure how to fix this.
---
"The worst thing about quotes found on the internet is you never really know if they are true or not." - Abraham Lincoln.
#3FredCat07Posted 10/22/2012 5:55:53 AM
TC said he had this game for a week - apparently not a month long. And also, yes, you should restart your walkthrough from beginning to prevent those freezes. I always do that when I get new DLC/Patch added.
---
I used to be hearing person like you, until I took the fever in my ears. ~FredCat
#4The_Beer_ScotchPosted 10/22/2012 5:57:19 AM
Ty reinstalling possibly, is it just the one save file you have issues with?
---
The road goes ever on and on....
#5Zeru64(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2012 10:38:22 PM(edited)
M_de_graaff posted...
A few questions: do you have the latest patch? Is this an older savegame (started a few months ago?) How big is your savegame/playtime?

Is you have not patched the game it might be the Nucleair Nirnroot bug. Nirnroot plants glow, but the unpatched game did not clean up the glow when you picked the Nirnroot.

If you picked the same Nirnroot multiple times all the glows would stack and would eventualy cause the game to freeze when you get close to the glow.

If you do have the patch and it's an savegame started before the patch it might be that your game just never cleaned up the Nirnroot glow.

It can also mean your savegame is getting to big (15-18 MB) which can cause the game to freeze. Not sure how to fix this.

My game is like...35 hours or so, maybe? I've only been using my hard drive for a week and a half at most, but my playtime's derpily high. I made my 2handed guy after installing. My largest save right now is 7mb, and as far as I know, my game is patched.

Could it be my saves? I abuse pickpocketing a lot, so my lvl.40 Orc has 136 saves(Not on the memory thing at once, though. I have 10 saves currently, at least 3 being autosaves and one save being right before character creation) xd

Anyways, I'm actually gonna give an archer a try. My friend swears by the Bound Bow, so I'm gonna give it a try, and wipe my hard drive to be safe. I sent a copy of my Orc's file to the xbox save(pathetically small as 1gb of memory left is), so even if it doesn't work, I at least still have my guy.

Edit: Maybe it's how my friend set it up? He did some partition thing so I could use my 1tb hard drive for my xbox(abet only getting 15.9gb on the xbox side)? I wouldn't be surprised if he derped up. xd
---
o]-{
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\