Bethesda took too long for DLC...

#121iedahGPosted 11/9/2012 12:16:55 PM
Mixorz posted...
With Borderlands 2 out, Halo 4 out, Assassins Creed 3 out, and Blops 2 coming out, there's really no point in Skyrim DLC. Especially since Borderlands 2 already came out with a pretty big DLC one month after release.

Point is, Bethesda failed to keep most gamers interested. I can see if financial restraints haven't allowed you to purchase a new game since Skyrim, but they just took too long for DLC (real DLC not Hearthfire BS). Really dragged their feet with support for the game.

Speak for yourself.
Im having plenty of fun screwing around with mods.

Boderlands 2- boring, already traded it in.
Halo 4- Not interested in bouncy spacemen on steroids.
Assassins creed 3- Never liked the originals.
Black ops 2 - lol call of duty.

Until GTA 5 and rainbow six patriots come out I have no reason to play any other game.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=) --" Make things easy for people, not difficult."
#122thelovefistPosted 11/9/2012 12:35:07 PM
I don't mind waiting for more DLC. Extends the life of the game/my interest.
---
N/A
#123Freedan the EternalPosted 11/9/2012 1:40:44 PM
Mixorz posted...

If you think that's the problem. You probably haven't played newer games. Halo 4 is the best it's ever been, Borderlands 2 really took a great concept and made it much better. Sorry but even though Skyrim is an open world it's horribly bland at this point, and it isn't as deep as Morrowind or even Oblivion. There are three weapon types that are pretty much the same (except for speed of swing I guess), without create a spell magic gets boring, and every character has access to the same....everything. Dawnguard added a little but not enough to keep me playing a whole extra 8 months or so.

Even borderlands is loot driven so there is a reason to keep playing and grinding. What's the point in Skyrim? No enemy is a challenge and the loot sucks, you're better off making it yourself.

If you really think DLC would not have really made Skyrim much better you're absolutely wrong. Nothing wrong with vanilla Skyrim but to think it alone and Dawnguard keep it relevant for a year you really need to see how other games get supported.

Except for the fact there is DLC coming for Skyrim. It takes longer because, god forbid, it's fairly big, unlike 90% of DLCs these days. Maybe you think Bioware's approach of adding one additional mission at a time that is finished in 15 to 20 minutes is better, but I sure as hell don't. I'd far prefer hours of new content in a lump than a trickle.

This is exactly what is going on with Darksiders 2 right now. New DLC is coming out in a rapid, unrelenting stream, and every time it goes up, within an hour people are posting on the board *****ing about how short it is, how it adds nothing to the game but one little dungeon that's finished in twenty minutes.

And I play plenty of new games, thank you. The difference between the reality and what you're insinuating is that I find worthwhile investments. I'd put hundreds of hours into Skyrim before Dawnguard was even out. At a $60 price tag, that's a hell of a lot more for my dollar than, as you say, Halo 4, which will likely have a 6 hour campaign, if that, and then a multiplayer filled with ten year olds shrieking in their mics about how they're going to teabag me, so I don't even want to have to put up with playing it. Not nearly as much of a value for my investment.

The difference is, when I get tired of Skyrim, it goes on my shelf, and between two and eight months later, I'll likely want to play it again. I don't "beat" games and throw them away. The ones I like stay, whether they're getting new content or not. Five years from now, I'm still going to have my Skryim disc, right there on my shelf, when the next ES comes out and gets added right next to it.

And like I said: If you think you're done with it, and are so eager and able to buy Yet Another Boring Ass Shooter 4, just move the **** on. I am quite happy to wait for a big, quality DLC instead of getting crap like Soldier's Peak and Witch Hunt dumped on me constantly.
---
Of course she flew through the air! You can see it right there! Whooooooooosh! - Phoenix Wright
#124Mixorz(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 1:52:35 PM(edited)
Freedan the Eternal posted...
Mixorz posted...

If you think that's the problem. You probably haven't played newer games. Halo 4 is the best it's ever been, Borderlands 2 really took a great concept and made it much better. Sorry but even though Skyrim is an open world it's horribly bland at this point, and it isn't as deep as Morrowind or even Oblivion. There are three weapon types that are pretty much the same (except for speed of swing I guess), without create a spell magic gets boring, and every character has access to the same....everything. Dawnguard added a little but not enough to keep me playing a whole extra 8 months or so.

Even borderlands is loot driven so there is a reason to keep playing and grinding. What's the point in Skyrim? No enemy is a challenge and the loot sucks, you're better off making it yourself.

If you really think DLC would not have really made Skyrim much better you're absolutely wrong. Nothing wrong with vanilla Skyrim but to think it alone and Dawnguard keep it relevant for a year you really need to see how other games get supported.

Except for the fact there is DLC coming for Skyrim. It takes longer because, god forbid, it's fairly big, unlike 90% of DLCs these days. Maybe you think Bioware's approach of adding one additional mission at a time that is finished in 15 to 20 minutes is better, but I sure as hell don't. I'd far prefer hours of new content in a lump than a trickle.

This is exactly what is going on with Darksiders 2 right now. New DLC is coming out in a rapid, unrelenting stream, and every time it goes up, within an hour people are posting on the board *****ing about how short it is, how it adds nothing to the game but one little dungeon that's finished in twenty minutes.

And I play plenty of new games, thank you. The difference between the reality and what you're insinuating is that I find worthwhile investments. I'd put hundreds of hours into Skyrim before Dawnguard was even out. At a $60 price tag, that's a hell of a lot more for my dollar than, as you say, Halo 4, which will likely have a 6 hour campaign, if that, and then a multiplayer filled with ten year olds shrieking in their mics about how they're going to teabag me, so I don't even want to have to put up with playing it. Not nearly as much of a value for my investment.

The difference is, when I get tired of Skyrim, it goes on my shelf, and between two and eight months later, I'll likely want to play it again. I don't "beat" games and throw them away. The ones I like stay, whether they're getting new content or not. Five years from now, I'm still going to have my Skryim disc, right there on my shelf, when the next ES comes out and gets added right next to it.

And like I said: If you think you're done with it, and are so eager and able to buy Yet Another Boring Ass Shooter 4, just move the **** on. I am quite happy to wait for a big, quality DLC instead of getting crap like Soldier's Peak and Witch Hunt dumped on me constantly.

Halo 4 could be 6 hrs on the easiest setting perhaps. I'm about 5-6 hours in and am not finished on heroic, and MP is basically endless replay value.

Borderlands 2 vanilla has co op, about a 30-40 hour campaign, new game plus, and a high level raid boss. The DLC adds about 10-20 hours and 2 new raid bosses and took less time to come out than Dawnguard. Sorry but Skyrim really doesn't have the replay value you think it does, especially with how watered down combat and magic are compared to previous titles.
---
They'll always need men like us. Those who are willing to do what others cannot.
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
#125turn_basedPosted 11/9/2012 2:19:55 PM
Had to repost this, I hate being at the bottom of the 2nd to last page, plus, I'm on an iphone and this is probably my longest post, so yeah:

The first two months I played Skyrim hard. Had never heard of 'roleplaying' an RPG, I had never heard of the term 'build' used before like it is now. I played Skyrim to explore, fight, grow, and experience as much of the story and secondary quests as I could.

Then I stopped. Why? The game stopped. I hit a high level, did 'everything' and realized there was nothing left to do!

Back in Morrowind, I'd mess with enchanting, spellmaking, or different paths in regards to the Great Houses. And that game was huge and hoofing most of it mandatory.

Oblivion: I did it all, every guild, every dlc, (no horse armor though:) and even every outcome of the DB mansion in Skingrad mission. I created spells and enchantments in order to keep my Blades buddies alive, even that dumb dunmer knight wanna-be brat! I loved the introduction of gravity. I would stack baskets and shoot fireballs at em on the Imperial Bridge while capturing it on camera. It took a long time to put Oblivion down!

Skyrim? 2 months. Granted, ME3 came out, but really, Skyrim removed the experimentation of spellmaking and didn't introduce a new, game shifting mechanic like gravity that would open up new ways to play in this beautiful place! So, what do we do? How do we stay interested? DLC.

Introduce new problems, new faces, and new places! If we dont get fresh stuff, and our best experimenting involves glitching, then yeah, someone could make the argument that they need to change their mentality about dlc releasing schedules.

Look, Oblivion had spellmaking and a new mechanic: gravity. It was east to keep yourself occupied until dlc came out.

But Skyrim? They removed something, and didn't introduce something equivelant(?) to gravity! Honestly, I kind of feel like that Stormcloak prisoner sometimes; I get to walk or run around Skyrim and enjoy the sights, I just cant interact with it like I want to, my hands feel tied.

That all said, as ES moves toward more action and adventure, and less 'experimental,' they need to take an ExLax and get to pooping out some dlc on a regular basis. Am I making sense?

Anyway, let's hope they realize they gotta stay active, I'm tired of reading about 'roleplaying ideas' and 'build types.' All of that is unneccessary if there was something new to do.

Love and peace, hope and change, folks.
---
Redguards Rule!
#126masterdave81Posted 11/9/2012 2:27:46 PM
I don't think two decent sized DLCs and one small one within 13 months of release is that bad. Like others have said, most DLCs for most games are garbage and complete wastes of money for all but the biggest fans. With the exception of Horse Armor, Bethesda has been pretty good at providing quality DLC.
#127Freedan the EternalPosted 11/9/2012 2:34:09 PM
Mixorz posted...
Halo 4 could be 6 hrs on the easiest setting perhaps. I'm about 5-6 hours in and am not finished on heroic, and MP is basically endless replay value.

Borderlands 2 vanilla has co op, about a 30-40 hour campaign, new game plus, and a high level raid boss. The DLC adds about 10-20 hours and 2 new raid bosses and took less time to come out than Dawnguard. Sorry but Skyrim really doesn't have the replay value you think it does, especially with how watered down combat and magic are compared to previous titles.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize your actual goal was to tell me you know what kind of games I like better than I do. I reiterate: Yet Another Boring Ass Shooter 4 will not have the kind of replay value I have with Skyrim.

If it does for you, more power to you. But I have played more than enough shooters over the years. I do not need another. And you might as well stop trying to convince me I'm wrong, because you won't.
---
Of course she flew through the air! You can see it right there! Whooooooooosh! - Phoenix Wright
#128_FALZ_Posted 11/9/2012 3:12:29 PM
Mixorz posted...
The DLC adds about 10-20 hours

What the hell game were you playing? CS&HPB took my friend and I probably about 5 hours to do everything, not including the raid bosses.

Why am I even posting this? I don't really even care. I must be losing it.
#129Mixorz(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 3:45:46 PM
Mixorz posted...

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize your actual goal was to tell me you know what kind of games I like better than I do. I reiterate: Yet Another Boring Ass Shooter 4 will not have the kind of replay value I have with Skyrim.

If it does for you, more power to you. But I have played more than enough shooters over the years. I do not need another. And you might as well stop trying to convince me I'm wrong, because you won't.

And you see, that's why my opinion is much more valid than yours. You're clearly biased against shooters. How many "generic fantasy RPGs" are there?

And me, I am very unbiased. I love Skyrim. It was loads of fun. But bigger and better things have come out. And those bigger and better things have better support when it comes to adding things fans want, and adding longevity to the game. Skyrim had its chance maybe about 3 months ago. Halo 4 adds way more to the Halo franchise than Skyrim added to TES. In fact, Skyrim took things away.

Again, I understand if you only had the liquid assets to only buy one videogame this year, or relied on a parental figure (most likely the mother figure) to provide your gaming experience and that parental figure frequently attempts to stifle your hobby by refusing to provide you with funds, but if you are an adult gamer with a career already locked in and not having to worry about such restraints you will see both Halo 4 and Bordelands 2 (and I'm willing to bet Blops 2) will all be better games than Skyrim that added more to their respective franchises than Skyrim added to TES. They will also have better support. I am also willing to be more people play Blops at this point than Skyrim. I don't really care to check because I'm pretty sure I'm right.

TLDR version: you're mad because you couldn't buy the better games that came out, and are hoping Dragonborn will be the next coming of Christ, but it will be about as long as Dawnguard. Get mad.
---
They'll always need men like us. Those who are willing to do what others cannot.
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
#130The_Beer_ScotchPosted 11/9/2012 3:59:07 PM
Mixorz posted...
Mixorz posted...

And you see, that's why my opinion is much more valid than yours. You're clearly biased against shooters. How many "generic fantasy RPGs" are there?

And me, I am very unbiased. I love Skyrim. It was loads of fun. But bigger and better things have come out. And those bigger and better things have better support when it comes to adding things fans want, and adding longevity to the game. Skyrim had its chance maybe about 3 months ago. Halo 4 adds way more to the Halo franchise than Skyrim added to TES. In fact, Skyrim took things away.

Again, I understand if you only had the liquid assets to only buy one videogame this year, or relied on a parental figure (most likely the mother figure) to provide your gaming experience and that parental figure frequently attempts to stifle your hobby by refusing to provide you with funds, but if you are an adult gamer with a career already locked in and not having to worry about such restraints you will see both Halo 4 and Bordelands 2 (and I'm willing to bet Blops 2) will all be better games than Skyrim that added more to their respective franchises than Skyrim added to TES. They will also have better support. I am also willing to be more people play Blops at this point than Skyrim. I don't really care to check because I'm pretty sure I'm right.

TLDR version: you're mad because you couldn't buy the better games that came out, and are hoping Dragonborn will be the next coming of Christ, but it will be about as long as Dawnguard. Get mad.

If all these games are so much better, why are you not playing them?

And you clearly have mummy issues, you come off as someone who could not get there mummy to buy them games, and now that you are old enough to buy your own games, you are still unable to deal with the "trauma" your mummy out you through.

Its an unhealthy obsession you have with your mummy.

Maybe you should see a shrink.
---
The road goes ever on and on....