Hearthfire question?

#11DarkSeraphMPosted 11/10/2012 7:19:06 PM
OmniVoid posted...
The first house I got was Windstad Manor. I picked that one because it was close enough to Solitude that I can see the Blue Palace. There's also a FANTASTIC view of the Sea of Ghosts. You can look up at night and see all Auroras. Looks particularly awesome from the top of a Tower. Something else nice are the occasional Giant attacks. Kill 'em and rip their toes off for potions. The Fish Hatchery is also nice.
I haven't really done much in DawnStar, which is where you have to get Thane'd to buy Heljarchen. Falkreath/Lakeview is the easiest to gain, but the Jarl of that Hold seems sketchy and douchey and I didn't want the douche-vibes of his rule uncooling my epic manor.

As far as rooms and materials, what the guy above me said. Buy A LOT of sawn logs from lumber mills. All three manors draw from the same pool, and you need A LOT for construction and furniture. And I want to echo the Iron Ingots bit. You need a ****diculous amount of ingots. You're going to be doing so much hold-hopping you'll be reminded of when you went hunting for your first banishing weapon.

You don't actually have to get Thane to be allowed to buy the land, you just have to complete the Waking Nightmare quest and talk to the Jarl. To get your housecarl you have to then "Help the people of The Pale 3/3" and become Thane.

I agree wholeheartedly about Windstad. Lakeview was the first house I built (and in fact, before the DLC released I was really hoping that the Falkreath plot would be on the shore of Lake Ilinalta somewhere). I have been using it as my main residence and only recently unlocked Windstad. I sincerely wished I had found Windstad first because it is by far my favorite, both for the view and for the Fish Hatchery.
---
So do not cry aloud at night, stay hidden in your bed.
Or the Bogeyman from Silent Hill will come chop off your head.
#12bretopher(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 12:01:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
---
http://tinyurl.com/d3fmygf
#13barefootabePosted 11/12/2012 6:25:55 PM
Lakeview manor is the best!..That's where my house is.

Good view,Good location..What more can you ask for
---
if if's and buts was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
#14DocOdinePosted 11/12/2012 7:08:43 PM
barefootabe posted...
Lakeview manor is the best!..That's where my house is.

Good view,Good location..What more can you ask for

Good altar for ritual sacrifices.
---
There is one big difference between Call of Duty and Skyrim. Call of Duty adds content each game while Bethesda takes away. -MC2011
#15ToraKytePosted 11/12/2012 7:36:13 PM
Haven't played it yet (gotta get the 360 version from GameFly again), but I've been doing a bit of research.

Three wings (storage, armory, and bedroom, I believe) apparently have interconnected balcony areas. Not sure how well they look connected, but I like the idea of getting to any wing of my house from the second floor.

From YouTube, the two towers looks really small. They barely look like towers. I was hoping they'd be more like a small version of the wizard's tower from Oblivion. And since you can apparently put an alchemy table and enchanting table in the main hall, they don't seem all that great (by the way, please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this).

The only wing I really didn't want to give up was the library. Apparently it can hold over 300 books, which is great since I tend to collect them. Like the towers, though, it looked a bit smaller than I imagined. Hopefully the main hall has enough room for my books and, if not, I'll just put the remainder somewhere in the storage room.

As for children, as soon as I read about Sofie, I knew I wanted to adopt her. I mean, come on, a small parent-less child selling flowers to get by? As for the other, I kinda want to adopt a boy for diversity but if that Sissel girl someone was talking about is really in that much trouble, I might consider adopting her. On an unrelated side note, why are there no Khajiit children?

I've heard you can get four pets (assuming you have two children). I think I'll go with Meeko, a fox, and maybe two rabbits. You can also get a mudcrab for those that are fascinated by them. Seriously, though, give poor Meeko a home...

I was originally set on the Falkreath plot but it seems a lot of people like the Dawnstar one more. I guess I'll go to the locations beforehand and see which I like better. I already know I don't want to live in a swamp.

Finally, I've heard of some people saying that killing Helvard as part of the DB sidequests might make getting the house impossible. Best be wary of that.
#16magikot9Posted 11/12/2012 7:41:32 PM
I've built all the houses.

My family house with a bard, carriage, wife, dog, and my two kids (sofie and lucia) all live in Lakeview. Made this house with the Storage Room, Bedrooms, and Armory - all the ones that have a connected rooftop balcony because it gives a wonderful all around view of gorgeous landscape. In the basement I set up training dummies and archery targets for my girls to practice on and worship in front of the family's Shrine of Talos.

My alchemy house is the Windstad Manor. Greenhouse, Alchemy lab and Library. With the fish hatchery and outdoor garden, this becomes the perfect place to work on your alchemy. The swamp may not be for everyone, but the night time view here is the absolute best because you can see the blue palace lit up and the auroras. This cellar is just purely storage options because an alchemist can never have too many storage places for raw materials.

My "miscellaneous" house is the Heljarchen Hall. Enchanter Tower, Kitchen, and Trophy Room. This house is rarely used, but the grain mill makes it the best location for the Kitchen to be built. In the cellar is all the bells and whistles - including the blacksmith station - so I pretty much only come here when and if I need to forge a new suit of armor or something.
#17Brenz0rPosted 11/12/2012 9:44:48 PM
ToraKyte posted...
As for children, as soon as I read about Sofie, I knew I wanted to adopt her. I mean, come on, a small parent-less child selling flowers to get by? As for the other, I kinda want to adopt a boy for diversity but if that Sissel girl someone was talking about is really in that much trouble, I might consider adopting her. On an unrelated side note, why are there no Khajiit children?

Because you're adopting children, not buying a pet cat.

And yes, you want to get Sissel. Dreams of an old grey dragon, who isn't evil, but is kind. You'll have to remove her father from the equation, but he hates/abuses his children, so there's nothing of value to be lost.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#18bretopher(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 11:09:52 AM
The first home I got is windstad manor. I focused on building the small house and main hall first. I made a save before building the three wings and experimented building them all to see which I liked best for my "main" home.

I decided for my family home I would go bedroom, alchemy Tower, and armory. I like the look of the house with the patios on the east and west and a tower in the north (plus I don't much care for a trophy room or extra storage since there's a ton already).

Since you can't tear down and rebuild, I want to obtain the other two plots first to see which one I really do like best. Next i'll go for Lakeview.

As for kids, I want to adopt a boy and a girl, but I might go two girls instead. I know I want to adopt Lucia, and then maybe Alesan or Sophie. Not sure yet, so I might just go one child for now.

And I forgot to ask, who are your favorite Stewards? I want to go with Aela in my main home. Does this mess up any quests? I like to have pretty woman living in my home, and my character doesn't plan on getting married since I can't find a wife that meets all the standards that I want. If only they made Serana marriageable...
---
#19barefootabePosted 11/13/2012 6:55:56 PM
Lakeview is my family house as well..with Bedroom,Kitchen and Trophy Room,which I reget choosing...wanted the Store Room.My base of operations is Windstead Manor with Armory and Alch and Enchant Towers.
---
if if's and buts was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
#20bretopher(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 1:18:02 PM
So I finished building all my homes. It was a very addicting process, getting all the materials and building my homes to full capacity. Luckily, I had a lot of money to spend on it. I finished the construction and furnishing of every home and here's how I decided to build them.

My main home, where my children will live is Lakeview Manor. I liked the view and the atmosphere of the place the best. The three sections I built were Bedroom, Alchemy tower and Armory. I liked the view of the North tower facing the lake and my two patios on the sides of my home. These three sections give me the view I want, enough beds for everyone, and allows me to smith, enchant and make potions all in one area. Very pleased with it as my main, it has the best atmosphere with the woods, the greenery and the lake.

At Windstad I went with Kitchen, Storage room, and Enchanter tower. I wanted a tower on each home and this tower faces solitude and has a great view of that side. I chose the storage room because it has the rooftop patio for easy access to the back of the house and the lake with the hatchery and seems like a great area to "hang out" if it was a real home. The kitchen is on the mountain side, and I built it because I wanted to save a tower for my final home and I wanted to make sure I used all the sections. I was also turned off for this place as my family home because of the swampy feel to it. It does have the best view though.

For Heljarchen Hall, I went with the Library, Storage room and the Green House. The library tower faces and has a great view of the planes that go to whiterun and Lorieus Farm. In the back I built the trophy room because theres not anything in the back of this home so there was really no need for back side access or view. And the west wing is the final unused piece, the greenhouse, which sits on the mountain side of the house. This house I feel has the best location, second in atmosphere and the worst view of the three homes.

I'm very pleased with my homes, and I hope others unsure of where to start will read this and find it useful in deciding how to build their homes.
---