Would you sacrifice Voice Acting in the next elderscrolls game for more content?

#101DarkFire_52ndPosted 11/14/2012 5:50:12 AM
Voice acting as it currently is gets annoying sometimes. When speaking to someone I read the text and then skip the voice halfway through the sentence, which sounds awkward. People saying the same stupid thing every time you walk past them gets annoying. And if even 2 non-generic characters near each other have the same voice, it really reduces the immersion for me. One last benefit to no voice acting is that there wouldn't be inconsistent pauses and occasional quest breaking bugs when advancing dialogue.

On the other hand
Enemies' voice acting serves a practical purpose (letting us know they are there) that is matched to the gameplay mechanics. Without voice acting, there wouldn't be the same feel when NPCs talk to each other at random, which you should be able to imagine as happening regardless of the player's presence. Without voice acting the best they could really do is either random text boxes appearing on screen, or you see two people talking, and walk up and press interact to see the conversation. This really wouldn't work for enemy dialog while you are hidden.

From a practical for gameplay point of view, the best solution seems to be voice acting EXCEPT when talking to someone, but that's kinda stupid. Personally I'd be ok with all text except combat grunts and such, even with random text boxes popping up everywhere, but I can understand how others wouldn't like this.

As for more content, if its just twice as many towns and caves but basically all the same, that would be worse. If instead, we have the same number of places and quests, but they are more varied, in depth, and actually have significant consequences, then yeah, I'd sacrifice voice acting.

PS I haven't yet played Morrowind so no comment on that.
#102CrispyPimpPosted 11/14/2012 7:28:00 AM
GreatHammurabi posted...
Keep the idle voices and the proximity greetings like Morrowind and only voice important story character voices, like the did in Morrowind.

---
UMvC3: Sentinel/???/Dormammu
#103LambentEarachePosted 11/14/2012 11:44:10 AM
PokeLord473 posted...
LambentEarache posted...
Not a chance. MORROWIND IS DEAD, GUYS. GET OVER IT.

You shall be sacrificed to the Great Mudcrab, prepare yourself.

Go ahead. Make my day!
#104Curved_Sw0rdPosted 11/14/2012 12:06:53 PM
IamI3rian posted...
In a heartbeat.

---
What if Japanese schoolgirl bees?
#105AddictedToXboxPosted 11/14/2012 12:43:27 PM
Schesparn posted...
AddictedToXbox posted...
No.

They would have to revert back to the old time-freeze conversation system. Besides, I'm an audiophile.

Think back to the scene where Farkas reveals his werewolf form. How in the hell could they pull that scene off without voiced dialogue?

He said like Morrowind. Morrowind had voiced scenes too. It wouldn't be any different.

Except that it would be very different. Text-based dialogue worked for Morrowind because of how the game world worked. Everyone stayed where they were. In a game like Skyrim, there would still have to be a good amount of voice-acting to allow the NPCs to interact with one another as they go about their business. Multiple-character scenes cannot work with the system Morrowind used. Like I said already, they would have to reintroduce the time-freeze conversation system, but then how would another character join in on the conversation? They can't. You're locked into conversation with only one person.

I don't think you guys are thinking your answers through. A conversation system like Morrowind's would require the game be built a certain way. For example, the scene when you bring the Dragonstone to Farengar. As you are both talking, you hear Irelith shouting his name from within the hall, looking for him. A scene like that can't be done with Morrowind's system...

Disc space isn't always going to be an issue. The issue is going to be developmental effort.
---
False God! This is the end... the final turn of your Wheel!
#106hellslingerPosted 11/14/2012 1:01:37 PM
Hell no.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6oqZA.jpg
#107SchesparnPosted 11/14/2012 1:40:35 PM
I don't think you're thinking YOUR replies though, haha. He was asking about THAT scene in particular, which wouldn't have to change at all if it used Morrowind's system of dialogue.
---
Look, for the last time: Kirby has explained it over and over!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk138/Schesparn/11911255317531.gif
#108AddictedToXboxPosted 11/14/2012 1:54:44 PM
Schesparn posted...
I don't think you're thinking YOUR replies though, haha. He was asking about THAT scene in particular, which wouldn't have to change at all if it used Morrowind's system of dialogue.

ITP: NO U!

Nice rebuttal.

Have you even played Morrowind? I'm gonna assume no, since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. And when, exactly, did the TC ask about the scene I described in my post?
---
False God! This is the end... the final turn of your Wheel!
#109SchesparnPosted 11/14/2012 2:05:17 PM
Why wouldn't it work, precisely? You can be a condescending dick if you want, but at least give me something substantial. What's the difference between that scene and, say, the scene where Almalexia lectures you in front of the corpse of Sotha Sil?
---
Look, for the last time: Kirby has explained it over and over!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk138/Schesparn/11911255317531.gif
#110EverDownwardPosted 11/14/2012 2:19:15 PM
Yes.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes, and again, yes.
---
At first I was like: http://i42.tinypic.com/2cid95j.gif
...But then I was like: http://i40.tinypic.com/2ildkp2.gif