Would you sacrifice Voice Acting in the next elderscrolls game for more content?

#111AddictedToXboxPosted 11/14/2012 3:26:38 PM
Schesparn posted...
Why wouldn't it work, precisely? You can be a condescending dick if you want, but at least give me something substantial. What's the difference between that scene and, say, the scene where Almalexia lectures you in front of the corpse of Sotha Sil?

I already gave you something substantial in my last post. Did you even bother to read it?

With the way the Radiant AI works, there will still have to be a good amount of voiced dialogue in order for the NPCs to interact with one another as they go about their business. You can't have them repeating the same greeting over and over without making the game look stupid. That, in itself, completely defeats the entire point of scrapping voice-based dialogue for text-based dialogue.

A lot more than voice-acting would have to be scrapped in order to introduce a text-based dialogue system. For instance, scripted environmental events and effects cannot be done with a text-based dialogue system. Why? Because you are locked into a time-freeze during conversation in Morrowind's system. Facial expressions would be gone, as well. No point in having those without a voice-based system, especially if the idea here is to save space. Same goes for conversational animations.

See how stupid this idea sounds?
---
False God! This is the end... the final turn of your Wheel!
#112SchesparnPosted 11/14/2012 3:28:41 PM
And all this, because of voice acting, huh? Missing the point entirely... Glad to see you're sticking to the condescending dick part, though.

No one's saying to use Morrowind's engine, chief. Just unspoken text dialogue with voiced events.
---
Look, for the last time: Kirby has explained it over and over!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk138/Schesparn/11911255317531.gif
#113AddictedToXboxPosted 11/14/2012 4:00:43 PM
Schesparn posted...
And all this, because of voice acting, huh? Missing the point entirely... Glad to see you're sticking to the condescending dick part, though.

No one's saying to use Morrowind's engine, chief. Just unspoken text dialogue with voiced events.

We all know voice acting takes up a looot of space on a disc. In the next elder scrolls game, would you give up voice acting for more content? I'm talking about a lot more content. Like triple the size of skyrim. . . .

Okay, when I said no voice acting I meant it would be like Morrowind. Like they still talk when in battle and stuff and greet you but thats about it. Should have been a little more clear about that.

GG08's posts...

Who's missing the point?

Again, nice rebuttal you have there.

Perhaps my words aren't clear enough: I prefer quality over quantity. I prefer my games to have life, to immerse me in them. The whole point of the TES series is detail, detail, detail...
---
#114SchesparnPosted 11/14/2012 4:04:07 PM
So, quality is hearing what's-his-face ask you for the five-hundredth time if you've ever been to the Cloud District?
---
#115AddictedToXboxPosted 11/14/2012 4:09:24 PM
Schesparn posted...
So, quality is hearing what's-his-face ask you for the five-hundredth time if you've ever been to the Cloud District?

Are you trying to say that's no better than when approaching ANY Dark Elf in Morrowind, to which they say, "Speak quickly, outlander"?
---
#116SchesparnPosted 11/14/2012 4:11:07 PM
Nnnno. That's no better. It's just bad in a different way.
---
#117AddictedToXboxPosted 11/14/2012 4:16:06 PM
Schesparn posted...
Nnnno. That's no better. It's just bad in a different way.

That is your opinion. It's good to know the devs don't seem to hold it.

You're mentality is that because the devs can't give us perfection, they should take a step back.
---
#118SchesparnPosted 11/14/2012 4:17:44 PM
Thanks for telling me my mentality. That's very helpful. It's also wrong, but I appreciate your generous spirit.
---
#119GriffRobertsPosted 11/14/2012 4:39:24 PM
I like the voice acting in Skyrim, and I want to be a voice actor one day myself. So, no.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#120Tman144Posted 11/14/2012 6:53:49 PM
They don't need to get rid of VA, they just need to town it down a lot. When I go to work and pass someone in the hall, they don't stop to tell me their life story, they just say "Hey" or "How's it going." When I'm walking down the street and pass someone I don't know, they don't say anything at all. That's what weirds me out the most, is some random stranger telling me their life story just because I came within earshot. They don't do that to each other, why do they do it to me? (Also, when two NPCs are talking, I walk up to them and they both STARE at me while talking to each other, Inception style, creepy).

I would much prefer the Morrowind style of short greetings to what Skyrim does. They can still keep the NPCs talking to each other, that doesn't bother me.

Also, I hate that the game puts words in my mouth. A lot of the dialogue responses are dumb. Let me choose topics (or better yet, emotions), and let me imagine what I said.
---
Its not that I'm lazy, its that I just don't care.