Is it possible to be a powerful as a mage in this game?

#41The_Beer_ScotchPosted 11/19/2012 5:23:38 PM
Perma-n00b posted...
The "you can pick whatever race you want" crowd really needs to shut up in instances like this. If someone who is new to a playstyle (a mage) wants to know the best race to play from purely a ganeplay perspective then there are only two good answers: Breton or highelf.

I don't know why the so called "roleplayers" on this board feel like they need a voice in every topic about character building. Just shhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Where is your useful contribution to this post?

Fact is, high magicka is obtainable by any class, this renders high elfs bonus not as effective.

In a game like tes with low difficulty, and long paythroughs... being visually appealing is whats really important.
---
The road goes ever on and on....
Time to replay ff9 and Grandia... whee
#42The_Beer_ScotchPosted 11/19/2012 5:25:45 PM
shingaiden posted...
Fortify destruction gear (100% destruction cost reduction) = competent destruction mage.

Not hard to make at all.

Not neccesary in the slightest.

Please take your mis-information to the wikia where it belongs.
---
#43SparklelordPosted 11/19/2012 5:32:35 PM
The_Beer_Scotch posted...
shingaiden posted...
Fortify destruction gear (100% destruction cost reduction) = competent destruction mage.

Not hard to make at all.

Not neccesary in the slightest.

Please take your mis-information to the wikia where it belongs.

lol
Be nice. Most people think 100% is necessary since all they do is spam incinerate.
Expert spells are pretty costly without an elsweyr fondue active <_<;
---
Hello, we are magical talking bear prostitutes.
Give us all your valuables and food, and nobody needs to get hurt.
#44The_Beer_ScotchPosted 11/19/2012 5:39:33 PM
Lockeadon posted...
Perma-n00b posted...
The "you can pick whatever race you want" crowd really needs to shut up in instances like this. If someone who is new to a playstyle (a mage) wants to know the best race to play from purely a ganeplay perspective then there are only two good answers: Breton or highelf.

I don't know why the so called "roleplayers" on this board feel like they need a voice in every topic about character building. Just shhhhhhhhhhhhh.

exactly. if someone wants to min/max they shouldn't be attacked for it. and neither should the people who try and help them.

Im not attacking anyone who min/maxes.

Im simply stating that any class is viable in any role.

If anything the attack goes in reverse, as a certain two somones are insisting that people who are trying to tell a "newcomer" (level 68 vampire clearly disproves that garbage) that you don't have to be a high elf or breton to enjoy a mage.

People who ram min/maxing down peoples throats, and tell people like myself that their opinion is invalid because I am apparantly a "roleplayer" (really? Thats supposed to insult me?) need to relise that this is a game, built to allow any combination to be viable.

Deal with it.
---
#45LockeadonPosted 11/19/2012 5:45:16 PM
Perma-n00b posted...

Fact is, high magicka is obtainable by any class, this renders high elfs bonus not as effective.

In a game like tes with low difficulty, and long paythroughs... being visually appealing is whats really important.

high elves can actually get by with significantly less magicka investment than any other race cause they always have highborn to fall back on. and starting 50 ahead doesn't hurt either. that's more levels to put in health (or stamina)

i will agree though that they arent exactly the best lookers lol

if looks are important to you or you want to rp a particular race/class combination you can make any race anything you want and be effective. BUT if gameplay is what's important to you and you love maximizing your character's effectiveness, each race has something unique to offer that makes them a great choice for certain roles and not as good as other choices for other roles. and saying those things don't matter is ruining the fun for people who like to max their characters. every race has so much potential, and every race has something only it can do. or that other races can do only by spending lots of time/money/perks. (although bosmer is still kinda pants cause animal allegiance shout and/or vampirism are still better sources of those abilities). that's why you never see me offering just one race for any given playstyle. every race has unique uses whether its from their passive bonus or their racial 1/day, or both.
---
be more cereal!
#46The_Beer_ScotchPosted 11/19/2012 5:51:55 PM
Lockeadon posted...
Perma-n00b posted...

high elves can actually get by with significantly less magicka investment than any other race cause they always have highborn to fall back on. and starting 50 ahead doesn't hurt either. that's more levels to put in health (or stamina)

if looks are important to you or you want to rp a particular race/class combination you can make any race anything you want and be effective. BUT if gameplay is what's important to you and you love maximizing your character's effectiveness, each race has something unique to offer that makes them a great choice for certain roles and not as good as other choices for other roles. and saying those things don't matter is ruining the fun for people who like to max their characters. every race has so much potential, and every race has something only it can do. or that other races can do only by spending lots of time/money/perks. (although bosmer is still kinda pants cause animal allegiance shout and/or vampirism are still better sources of those abilities). that's why you never see me offering just one race for any given playstyle. every race has unique uses whether its from their passive bonus or their racial 1/day, or both.

You aren't the one being rude about things locke, so take no offence to what I said.

But I'm not calling them useless, just uneccesary :p

The tc is asking for viable, therefore everythings viable.

The mis-information (ie, 100% reduction being neccesary) is what hurts topics like these.

Of course overall highborne is helpful.and so is the extra magicka if your going for a hybrid build or its early on...

But then the same effects can be replicated (almost) by potions and enchanting. And are not a gamebreaker if you don't have them.
---
#47LockeadonPosted 11/19/2012 6:10:23 PM
Lockeadon posted...
Perma-n00b posted...

You aren't the one being rude about things locke, so take no offence to what I said.

But I'm not calling them useless, just uneccesary :p

The tc is asking for viable, therefore everythings viable.

The mis-information (ie, 100% reduction being neccesary) is what hurts topics like these.

Of course overall highborne is helpful.and so is the extra magicka if your going for a hybrid build or its early on...

But then the same effects can be replicated (almost) by potions and enchanting. And are not a gamebreaker if you don't have them.

okay good <3
i just hate seeing the potential of all the different races going to waste. it bugs me when they arent used to thier full potential. like seeing a breton put perks (and money) into magic resistance and the atronach perk when all they really need against enemy magic/dragons is atronach stone (on the aetherial crown so you can just take it off when you want to summon something with 0 chance of failure) and dragonskin. those two together are already 100% spell absorbtion so they don't really need anything else. same with sword and board fighters... a good understanding of how to use spellbreaker and intelligent choices in the block tree are likewise all they need. meanwhile mages have a wide assortment of wards to deal with magic attacks so they dont realy need it that much either. and any good sneaky character will take out the mages before they are even seen. so imo the 2 playstyles that benefit most from a high natural magic resistance or spell absorption are 2-handed warrior and or someone who does most of thier combat as a werewolf or a vl. which makes bretons very effective in both those roles.
---
be more cereal!
#48Mick65Posted 11/19/2012 6:17:45 PM
What's wrong with my level 68 Vampire again?
---
Principally Anthropic
#49The_Beer_ScotchPosted 11/19/2012 6:22:17 PM
Mick65 posted...

Nothing, I thought the tc had a 68 vamp, therefore proving he wasn't new, my bad.

However its clear from the original post that hes not new anyway.

Just misinformed by idiots telling him 100% cost reduction is neccesary :p
---
#50LockeadonPosted 11/19/2012 7:22:09 PM(edited)
Mick65 posted...

Nothing, I thought the tc had a 68 vamp, therefore proving he wasn't new, my bad.

However its clear from the original post that hes not new anyway.

Just misinformed by idiots telling him 100% cost reduction is neccesary :p

100% cost reduction makes magic kinda boring imo, cause it encourages bad tactics and takes most of the fun out of fights.people seem to like it, though.
---
be more cereal!