Spell-Shield build viable?

#1xXTEMPEST2XxPosted 11/28/2012 5:30:51 AM
Using either an Altmer or Breton (probably best for the job), has anyone tried a build based on using a spell/shield combo?

perks in: heavy armor, block, destruction, illusion, obviously smith/enchant, and potentially conjuration. You'd be able to soak up a fair amount of damage, while dishing it out long range with destruction (or up close) and also with shield bashing. Conjuration wouldn't be a bad idea here either. Illusion would be great for crowd control and some more fun.

Anyone try anything like this, and has it worked well?
#2agentspoonPosted 11/28/2012 5:38:00 AM(edited)
Spellbreaker or Auriels Shield would be the best choice.

Spellbreakers Ward take no Magika but benefits from the Ward Absorb Perk of Restoration.

Auriels Shields knock back power can be used to fight enemies who rush you.
---
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!
#3Perma-n00bPosted 11/28/2012 5:47:35 AM
You can but one handed destruction isn't very powerful. Sure hurling a 105 dmg incinerate (with aspect of terror in illusion) seems powerful, until u try to fling it at top tier enemies like drauger deathlords. I don't think destruction is worth it unless u are going to commit both hands to it. This of course is just one man's opinion though :-).

Now using both hands for impact or rapid fire spell casting (by alternating hands) is a different story :-).
#4ForgottenLegendPosted 11/28/2012 5:54:01 AM
I'm currently running something similar with my Imperial character. I use the following at the moment (considering involving illusion for a "commander" type character) -

Heavy Armour
Block
Restoration
Destruction
One Handed

I use the destruction for ranged combat until they get close enough for some sword and boarding. If I get low enough on health then by that point my magicka has restored enough for me to use a healing spell or two if need be. Also Turn Undead becomes pretty helpful at that point if you're fighting those affected.

Haven't got too far with it, but it's been quite fun so far. VotE is pretty useful in early levels if you get stuck.

I'd certainly give it a go and see how you feel. I think it's good because you get access to loads of good gear whilst not sacrificing the fun of magic. I'd probably recommend augmenting the spell powers in the trees and some enchanting for cost reduction certainly wouldn't go amiss either.
---
GT: GOLDU5T
#5TwoBladesOneBowPosted 11/28/2012 5:55:09 AM
Tried it. Done it. Loved it. You should do it.
#6xXTEMPEST2Xx(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 6:22:54 AM
So since destruction is fairly weak one-handed (not having impact kinda sucks here), i guess conjuration should definitely be taken to help compensate. Thanks for the input guys!
#7RGPanznerPosted 11/28/2012 6:35:48 AM
Here is a nice build that focuses on being a Spell-Shield

http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/character-building/forum/topics/character-build-the-spellblocker
---
XBL GT: Hippeus Omega
#8C_BurnsPosted 11/28/2012 11:51:44 AM
xXTEMPEST2Xx posted...
So since destruction is fairly weak one-handed (not having impact kinda sucks here), i guess conjuration should definitely be taken to help compensate. Thanks for the input guys!

I started a Sun Priest build (fire and sunfire spells only) with a shield, but added one handed after finding scimitars! Oe handed spells is pretty weak in my opinion. I never do any hardcore enchanting, since it feels cheap to me. Adding a one handed sword is better for my RP and much easier to take down enemies.

Destruction for ranged attacks is smart and fun.
#9NicodaemosPosted 11/28/2012 11:52:24 AM
Define viable.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer