Remember when todd howard said races would be more different from each other

#21Freedan the EternalPosted 11/29/2012 1:44:37 PM
alex1_2_3_4_5 posted...
I'm sure every game developer ever wanted their game to be the best. Did they lie when it did not turn out so?

Well, in regard to DA2, David Gaider, in a long and complicated way, pretty much explained that anyone who didn't think DA2 was the best thing ever just wasn't smart enough to understand it.
---
Of course she flew through the air! You can see it right there! Whooooooooosh! - Phoenix Wright
#22Fate_AssassinPosted 11/29/2012 1:47:18 PM
Wveth posted...
That was one of my biggest problems with the game. I'm the only Argonian or Khajiit who's allowed to live in Windhelm? The only Dark Elf not forced to live in the Grey Quarter? And it never even gets brought up.

All the Nords instantly and implicitly trust me even though I'm a High Elf, and we're their worst enemy right now? That's nonsense. Race is a total non-issue and it severely undercuts any attempt at role-playing anything other than a Nord.

Though if the player was effected by racism then we would have people complaining that they can do certain things because of their race. Which as stated before Todd said that he wants the player to be able to do what ever they want, so putting restrictions on what you can do because of race is counter productive.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
1/14/2013, shipment date
#23WvethPosted 11/29/2012 1:50:59 PM
Fate_Assassin posted...

Though if the player was effected by racism then we would have people complaining that they can do certain things because of their race. Which as stated before Todd said that he wants the player to be able to do what ever they want, so putting restrictions on what you can do because of race is counter productive.

Yes, I know. In my last post (to Rebel) I stated that I understand why it is like that from a practicality standpoint.

Really, I'm just a huge fan of character interaction and dialogue and all that fun stuff, so it gets to me more than most people, I suppose. I still very much like Skyrim, but it's hard to "feel" the game universe when I notice stuff like that.
---
Wveth!
#24drumble89Posted 11/29/2012 1:53:08 PM
It affects the first 10 part of the game when Hadvar addresses you in Helgen.....and that's pretty much it :P
---
Shut up! You don't know nothin'.........'bout anythin' :3
GT: diabolus89
#25kylekillgannonPosted 11/29/2012 1:55:01 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
I dont see how "wanting something to be in the game" is akin to saying it is and lying, personally...

That's because you deal in the literal. Todd's a salesman. He wanted to hype the product, so he made an implication that he could go back on. It's what everybody like Todd does, but his methods don't make it any more honest.
---
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.
#26LolOkayPosted 11/29/2012 2:02:23 PM
Wveth posted...
I know what I'm talking about, Rebel.

You can do all these things before it's revealed that you're Dragonborn, so that is not the in-game reason you're treated like you are regardless of race.

And yes, I know the Thalmor are the enemies and most High Elves are not Thalmor. I also know that some Nords don't bother to discriminate between types of Elves, let alone the political affiliation of a certain kind.

There's no need to be a jerk about it. I wasn't saying that no Nords should respect you if you're a High Elf, but there should be some mistrust from some of them, at least. Everything plays exactly the same and it makes race a non-issue. This creates a gulf between gameplay and story that I do understand from a practicality standpoint, but I still think hurts immersion badly.

That's actually a good point. At least in Oblivion they had that wheel of trust thing (no idea what it's called), if Skyrim had a version of that (but way better so that you didn't end up spamming conversation options to get near 100) it could allow for what you're saying. i.e. If you're an elf some people will trust you more and some people will trust you less. But you always have the option of changing their opinion (if they're important enough to warrant it).

It'd also be cool to have people start fighting you if you piss them off enough or send hired thugs to show how boss they are.
#27RebelElite791Posted 11/29/2012 2:03:54 PM
kylekillgannon posted...
RebelElite791 posted...
I dont see how "wanting something to be in the game" is akin to saying it is and lying, personally...

That's because you deal in the literal. Todd's a salesman. He wanted to hype the product, so he made an implication that he could go back on. It's what everybody like Todd does, but his methods don't make it any more honest.

First off, TC didn't even give a source or quote.
Secondly, no, not really. He didn't say "we're putting this in." He said "I want this in," The two are very, very different. Plenty of game developers end up having to scrap things they weren't able to put in for whatever reason.
---
Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer. http://i.imgur.com/VZeCB.gif
#28kylekillgannonPosted 11/29/2012 2:05:31 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
He didn't say "we're putting this in." He said "I want this in," The two are very, very different. Plenty of game developers end up having to scrap things they weren't able to put in for whatever reason.

And plenty of developers also make statements at E3 they don't have intention of backing up.

Is that such a hard premise?
---
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.
#29RebelElite791Posted 11/29/2012 2:06:51 PM
kylekillgannon posted...
RebelElite791 posted...
He didn't say "we're putting this in." He said "I want this in," The two are very, very different. Plenty of game developers end up having to scrap things they weren't able to put in for whatever reason.

And plenty of developers also make statements at E3 they don't have intention of backing up.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions. Stop thinking everyone is out to get you and lie to you, you'll be better off.
---
Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer. http://i.imgur.com/VZeCB.gif
#30RikiazPosted 11/29/2012 2:07:43 PM
kylekillgannon posted...
RebelElite791 posted...

Is it such a hard premise to understand that he never, once, said that they would be more different, he said he, himself, personally, wanted them to be more different. It's not his fault if people assume he meant they would be.
---
In death lays ecstasy, in undeath lays immortality