If you could make any NPC High King, who would you pick?

#51RebelElite791Posted 12/3/2012 6:46:32 PM
RAGEface14 posted...
Mythrender posted...
Urag gro-Shub, there is something about a Librarian Orc Mage, that just screams "I could run a province"

This. I also think Karliah would do the job good.

notsureifsrs
---
Rebel is pretty much a planet, pulling all sorts of moons and satellites his way, among them good, bad, foolish, trollish, and everything else - SeaArrKing
#52ReDxVaLoOPosted 12/3/2012 6:55:47 PM
Mai'q the Liar

I don't know what it is, but I think he would make a good politician...
---
I'm not crying... It's just been raining... On my face...
#53SushiSquidPosted 12/3/2012 6:58:58 PM
INFRARED PYTHON posted...
Ulfric Stormcloak, a true Nord Hero and the only rightful heir to the High Throne.

Yeah that's right, I said it.

inb4thalmoragent

Anyone who read this:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Thalmor_Dossier:_Ulfric_Stormcloak

And got "lol ulfirc werks 4 da thalmor" has the reading comprehension of a four-year-old. It surprises me each time someone claims he was a Thalmor agent. Ulfric hates the Aldmeri Dominion.

Ulfric was in a war against the Aldmeri Dominion. After being captured, he was brutally tortured, but still resisted giving any information for very long. By the time they finally got him to say anything, it no longer mattered. In order to screw with him, they told him he'd been very helpful anyway, then they let him escape, hoping to use him later. After this he returned to Skyrim, where the Reachmen had taken over the city of Markarth, killing the nord inhabitants and driving the rest out of the Reach. Ulfric was promised that if he dutifully recaptured the city, he'd be allowed to still worship Talos, even though this was now banned by the treaty the weakened Empire signed. Remember that the Empire signed the treaty in order to buy time, even though they had won the recent battle and crushed most of the Dominion forces in the Cyrodiil area. They didn't just sell-out Talos, though. They also betrayed Hammerfell, which in disgust left the Empire and continued to fight the Dominion, a fight they ended up winning even alone.

Oh, and then they betrayed Ulfric. After taking Markarth back for Skyrim (and thus the Empire), Ulfric was not allowed to worship Talos. In quite the opposite move, he was instead arrested for Talos worship to appease the Thalmor. After release, he returned to Windhelm to find his father had died while he was gone and he was now the jarl. At some point later he apparently pleaded in the High King's court for Skyrim to leave the Empire. Although the High King was actually impressed with him, he didn't give an answer quickly enough, so when Ulfric came back, he challenged the King to one-on-one combat for his throne. Technically this is old Skyrim tradition and was legal, but hadn't been traditionally done for like two thousand years. Upon killing the High King, he fled back to Windhelm and was captured on the way, which is where the game begins.

It's also where we get back to people thinking Ulfric is working for the Thalmor. He isn't intentionally. A civil war in Skyrim weakens the Empire, which the Dominion likes. They don't want either side to win, though. I'd argue that a liberated Skyrim would be the better outcome of the war, but either side winning hurts the Thalmor. One side hasn't repeatedly sold its honor, though.

TL;DR: I'd stick Ulfric on the throne. He's brash, overly dramatic, and manipulative, but he's also an excellent leader and a powerful general. He's the man Skyrim needs.
#54Fade_ChokesPosted 12/3/2012 6:59:17 PM
Fate_Assassin posted...
Sheogorath cheese for everybody.

There's a good chance we would hand Skyrim over to the elves as a joke...
---
The Chief: "...you are also getting a new partner"
Blasto: "Are you engaging in reproductive behavior with this one?"
#55Jstretch19Posted 12/3/2012 7:02:37 PM
Gray_wolf1119 posted...
Brenz0r posted...
Elisif or Brunwulf Free-Winter. For bonus points, stick the two into a political marriage.

thats the guy in windhelm who cares about all the races right?

No, he's the guy promoting civil disobedience and rewarding whiny, entitled behaviour
---
You can't handle the Ception.
#56Baugh_22Posted 12/3/2012 7:05:18 PM
Balgruff or Free-Winter, I can't decide

If from any game, Wulf from Morrowind
---
Washington Redskins: 5-6
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/nash/wtfiwwy
#57Erroneous_SnakePosted 12/3/2012 7:06:05 PM
SushiSquid posted...
INFRARED PYTHON posted...
Ulfric Stormcloak, a true Nord Hero and the only rightful heir to the High Throne.

Yeah that's right, I said it.

inb4thalmoragent

Anyone who read this:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Thalmor_Dossier:_Ulfric_Stormcloak

And got "lol ulfirc werks 4 da thalmor" has the reading comprehension of a four-year-old. It surprises me each time someone claims he was a Thalmor agent. Ulfric hates the Aldmeri Dominion.

Ulfric was in a war against the Aldmeri Dominion. After being captured, he was brutally tortured, but still resisted giving any information for very long. By the time they finally got him to say anything, it no longer mattered. In order to screw with him, they told him he'd been very helpful anyway, then they let him escape, hoping to use him later. After this he returned to Skyrim, where the Reachmen had taken over the city of Markarth, killing the nord inhabitants and driving the rest out of the Reach. Ulfric was promised that if he dutifully recaptured the city, he'd be allowed to still worship Talos, even though this was now banned by the treaty the weakened Empire signed. Remember that the Empire signed the treaty in order to buy time, even though they had won the recent battle and crushed most of the Dominion forces in the Cyrodiil area. They didn't just sell-out Talos, though. They also betrayed Hammerfell, which in disgust left the Empire and continued to fight the Dominion, a fight they ended up winning even alone.

Oh, and then they betrayed Ulfric. After taking Markarth back for Skyrim (and thus the Empire), Ulfric was not allowed to worship Talos. In quite the opposite move, he was instead arrested for Talos worship to appease the Thalmor. After release, he returned to Windhelm to find his father had died while he was gone and he was now the jarl. At some point later he apparently pleaded in the High King's court for Skyrim to leave the Empire. Although the High King was actually impressed with him, he didn't give an answer quickly enough, so when Ulfric came back, he challenged the King to one-on-one combat for his throne. Technically this is old Skyrim tradition and was legal, but hadn't been traditionally done for like two thousand years. Upon killing the High King, he fled back to Windhelm and was captured on the way, which is where the game begins.

It's also where we get back to people thinking Ulfric is working for the Thalmor. He isn't intentionally. A civil war in Skyrim weakens the Empire, which the Dominion likes. They don't want either side to win, though. I'd argue that a liberated Skyrim would be the better outcome of the war, but either side winning hurts the Thalmor. One side hasn't repeatedly sold its honor, though.

TL;DR: I'd stick Ulfric on the throne. He's brash, overly dramatic, and manipulative, but he's also an excellent leader and a powerful general. He's the man Skyrim needs.

You sir, have had the honor of never speaking to ManofEbony, because that idiot would tell you all about Ulfric planning to give all of skyrim to the Elves if he won the war.
---
This message has been brought to you from my Galaxy Nexus
#58RebelElite791Posted 12/3/2012 7:06:52 PM
SushiSquid posted...

he'd be allowed to still worship Talos, even though this was now banned by the treaty the weakened Empire signed. Remember that the Empire signed the treaty in order to buy time, even though they had won the recent battle and crushed most of the Dominion forces in the Cyrodiil area. They didn't just sell-out Talos, though. They also betrayed Hammerfell, which in disgust left the Empire and continued to fight the Dominion, a fight they ended up winning even alone.

Talos worship was NOT enforced in Skyrim until Ulfric's rebellion. Try again.

Hammerfell did NOT "win" against the Dominion, or anything close to it. They stubbornly kept fighting, decimating half their land in the process, and the two signed a peace treaty when nothing was going anywhere. The Thalmor wanted Hammerfell split from the Empire, and they achieved their goal. If anyone "won" that, it's them.

Although the High King was actually impressed with him, he didn't give an answer quickly enough, so when Ulfric came back, he challenged the King to one-on-one combat for his throne

Narp. Ulfric didn't even give him the opportunity to answer. Or even ask. If he'd ask, Torygg would likely have agreed. Too bad for him, and you.

One side hasn't repeatedly sold its honor, though.

Except they haven't. They did what was proper and necessary to ensure the safety of their people. Honor and pride are NOT more important than life, the lives of one's family, one's children, one's people, and all of existence itself.

and a powerful general

Not really, no. He's a good politician, but please keep in mind that before the arrival of the Dragonborn, ONE legion was steadily gaining ground against the Stormcloaks, and would have likely won through attrition if nothing else.

Jstretch19 posted...

No, he's the guy promoting civil disobedience and rewarding whiny, entitled behaviour

I guess MLK was bad for promoting civil disobedience and feeling entitled to basic human dignity? :P
---
Rebel is pretty much a planet, pulling all sorts of moons and satellites his way, among them good, bad, foolish, trollish, and everything else - SeaArrKing
#59Jstretch19Posted 12/3/2012 7:13:20 PM(edited)
RebelElite791 posted...
I guess MLK was bad for promoting civil disobedience and feeling entitled to basic human dignity? :P

Nope, MLK wasn't bad because he didn't promote civil disobedience for his own personal gain, like Brunwulf does.

Brunwulf is actively pushing the Dark Elves into revolting so that if they take control of the city they make him their leader.
---
You can't handle the Ception.
#60NTJack0Posted 12/3/2012 7:11:47 PM
Jarl Ballin'