I don't understand how people can side with the imperials

#41RebelElite791Posted 12/4/2012 2:17:53 PM
TheBestFaller posted...
Leave it to Gamefaqs to take things out of context. Then again, maybe it was me. In SKYRIM, if the king can't even protect himself, how can he be expected to protect a country? Everyone who says Ulfric used cheap tactics, or that he had an advantage, what's the problem is? He picked a fight he was sure he could win. If Torygg was so underqualified, then he wasn't right for High King in the first place. But, I personally don't care for Ulfric either, but I don't have to agree or like him to support the Cloaks.

Lol wtf. A King needs to be able to Shout, even though barely anyone currently knows how? He shouted him to the ground and stabbed him. Thats cheap as f***.
---
Rebel is pretty much a planet, pulling all sorts of moons and satellites his way, among them good, bad, foolish, trollish, and everything else - SeaArrKing
#42SpiritofpowerPosted 12/4/2012 2:23:47 PM
From: TheBestFaller | Posted: 12/4/2012 3:05:27 PM | #037
This is something I can relate to, being from an area with a large immigration problem. The issue is not that the Dunmer are there, it's that they are a burden that doesn't try to improve their own quality of life. They expect nothing but handouts, and react negatively when they don't get them. Even other elves in Windhelm will tell you this.

No, there's plenty of evidence of racism in Windhelm. And from what I heard, in order for them to improve their lives they'd pretty much have to give up trying to get equality and just take Nord racism, which is something they should never have to do. Now, if it was because they refused to do work such as being a farmhand or a bartender or something, then I might agree with you. But we see Dunmer doing jobs like that, which implies to me that they're being blocked from moving up the social ladder by racism.

Of course, it's very hard to get an objective picture, seeing as half the people in every city seem to do nothing but walk around all day, going to an inn at night to eat and drink for a bit then going to sleep. So it's practically impossible to tell if anything anyone says on the matter is anything resembling true. But I can say with absolute certainty that there are racist Nords who do hate the Dunmer. I just can't tell if the Dunmer are expecting handouts from the government or actually working and trying to move up, but are blocked by racism.

So actually, for all I know you're absolutely right, I just choose to disagree on this matter.
---
-"You're nuts!"
-"No, I'm condiments! I've been promoted."
#43BardockpwnsjooPosted 12/4/2012 2:28:52 PM
Imperials suck. SIde with the Imperails, you get the Toeh.
---
So, if you put an Oriental guy in a bowl, and spin it around, does he become disOriented?
#44TheBestFallerPosted 12/4/2012 2:42:17 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
Lol wtf. A King needs to be able to Shout, even though barely anyone currently knows how? He shouted him to the ground and stabbed him. Thats cheap as f***.

No, a king should be able to handle what's thrown at him, which Torygg obviously wasn't able to do. Bringing the Thu'um into the equation is irrelevant IMO
---
I store dead bodies all up under my house and every night I hear them runnin' they mouths.
#45Bigj089Posted 12/4/2012 2:48:02 PM
TheBestFaller posted...
RebelElite791 posted...

No, a king should be able to handle what's thrown at him, which Torygg obviously wasn't able to do. Bringing the Thu'um into the equation is irrelevant IMO

The same could be said for anyone, not just a king. That doesn't mean you just kill people because you can or to take their stuff.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#46h3IIfir3pho3nixPosted 12/4/2012 2:56:56 PM
I side with the Imperials because I like Balgruuf. That's it.
---
"At least Harbinger came up with his own catchphrase. Obama has to steal his from Bob the builder." -iamdanthaman
#47Cirrus101Posted 12/4/2012 3:01:11 PM
You were picked up for trying to cross the border ILLEGALLY, for one thing.

For another thing, it's pretty much stated that ulfric is an unwilling puppet of the thalmor. he's doing exactly what they want him to do: further destabilizing the empire. By joining the stormcloaks, you are aiding the thalmor.
---
Legend of Dragoon Forums:
http://legendodragoon.proboards67.com/
#48TheBestFallerPosted 12/4/2012 3:04:14 PM
Cirrus101 posted...

For another thing, it's pretty much stated that ulfric is an unwilling puppet of the thalmor. he's doing exactly what they want him to do: further destabilizing the empire. By joining the stormcloaks, you are aiding the thalmor.

The Empire is just as guilty. It does take 2 to go to war.
---
I store dead bodies all up under my house and every night I hear them runnin' they mouths.
#49obishawnPosted 12/4/2012 3:10:12 PM
Cirrus101 posted...

Only, the player isn't captured near a border. Following Ralof, you find out you were captured near Dark Water Crossing. Ralof is asking when he says, "You were trying to cross the border, right?" So, illegally crossing a border wasn't the player's crime, people just assume it is based on the discussion in in the wagon.
---
Winter is coming
#50PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 12/4/2012 3:12:09 PM
I always look at the situation in a NORD perspective, not an IRL or even Tamriel perspective.

From the perspective of a NORD, the whole Ulfric/Torygg situation is completely legal, actually traditional, and in any other time would have been fine and gone mostly unquestioned. IIRC Nords have always followed the strongest and put forth plans (like legal duels) to keep a strong leader in place.

Regardless of politics, a true Nord should always put homeland first, and should always strive to be free of oppression.

The simple fact of the Talos ban says to me that no Nord worth their name would ever side with a Thalmor sympathizer, Imperials included, And that's just the simplest and most apparent reason.

Of course, everything I said applies to Nords. Other races can see it however they want and it could make sense to me, but if you're a Nord and you do it another way..... sorry but you're not a true Nord :/ You're a pansy Milk Drinker who is taking it from behind because you don't care about tradition and would rather be protected by outsiders than doing it yourself.

Which brings the point about the Empire being a more "safe" option and "better" for Skyrim in the long run ..... seriously? Does a True Nord fear death? Maybe. But he doesn't wuss out because of it! A true Nord fights for their beliefs, no matter the enemy and no matter their numbers! They don't need protection, they protect themselves. If they forsake their ideals for protection, is that *really* what's best for Skyrim? Even if they all die in an all out war with the Thalmor, they still stuck to their beliefs/traditions and made it to Sovngarde.

So with all of that in mind, to a Nord, there should be NOTHING that entices you to be an Imperial. I never play Nords though lol so I always do whatever.

BUUUT on topic... yeah, the game at its very simplest, sets you up to dislike the Empire. At that moment (in the very beginning), no one in their right mind should say "Gee, those imperials were so nice I think I'll join"
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.