Total troll by Bethesda

#31ilapostaPosted 12/5/2012 1:00:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#32_Pingu_Posted 12/5/2012 1:01:10 PM
I agree on the dragon riding. They advertised it would be in and then just half arsed it. Real lazy work. As for the rest, that was all speculation. They didn't confirm any of that we just nosed around in files and assumed. Can't get mad at them for that

Er they didn't advertise dragon riding either though. They showed the PC riding a dragon in the trailer and left it at that. They didn't keep telling us we could fly dragons, in fact they never did. We weren't told anymore than what we were able to do. People just got their hopes up.
---
Be happy and stuff
#33_Pingu_Posted 12/5/2012 1:02:13 PM
I think they should've just had you choose a destination and then have the dragon automatically fly there on rails. You can still do stuff like shooting spells and/or shouts, but if you want to have the dragon target enemies and such you'll have to stop travel, resulting in the dragon beginning to circle over the area where you stopped, and if you want to get off you'll have to get the dragon to land, which forces it to land in a spot that wouldn't result in any glitching (like when you Dragonrend a dragon, they'll fly around and find a valid spot to touch down).

This is actually what I thought we had until I tried to travel with a dragon :(
---
Be happy and stuff
#34generalhsPosted 12/5/2012 1:03:50 PM
Spiritofpower posted...
I think they should've just had you choose a destination and then have the dragon automatically fly there on rails.

That wouldn't be glitch free at all. The issue is the number of concurrent cells the engine has to render. The engine simply isn't designed to stream data at the rate flying requires. Flight mods have shown this to be the case with cells frequently not loading, leaving HUGE voids in the world that can utterly destroy quests by causing essential items to fall out of the world itself.
#35EmblemWarriorPosted 12/5/2012 1:04:18 PM
generalhs posted...
Tman144 posted...
AKA, laziness. If levitation had been planned from the beginning, making flying mounts would have been much easier.

Wrong, troll. It's called optimization. Why render things the player will never see?

melvin, do you realize how TINY Morrowind was? It was smaller than a hold in Skyrim. The limited fast travel just hid how small the place really was. They'd not only have to fix the holes, but also make the cities part of the main world which the consoles couldn't handle.

Also, the settlements in Morrowind were part of the World map, because they were smaller and much less taxing to render at once. now settlements are serarate cells, and the only way it would work would be for the dev team to exhaustively go over them and render it so every bit of sky around the city could serve as a loading screen.
---
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
#36SpiritofpowerPosted 12/5/2012 1:11:05 PM
That wouldn't be glitch free at all. The issue is the number of concurrent cells the engine has to render. The engine simply isn't designed to stream data at the rate flying requires. Flight mods have shown this to be the case with cells frequently not loading, leaving HUGE voids in the world that can utterly destroy quests by causing essential items to fall out of the world itself.

Then in that case have "travel mode" load a different, totally empty version of Skyrim with nothing important in it that's designed to be loaded that quick. Or maybe have the dragon Shout a portal in the air or something which basically teleports you there. In other words, fast travel but instantaneous and flashier.

I mean, I can see why Bethesda had problems now, but it's not really that hard to think of something, is it? Even if dragon riding was basically fast travel that gets you where you're going quicker and in a cooler way I'd be more satisfied than what we got.
---
-"You're nuts!"
-"No, I'm condiments! I've been promoted."
#37melvin475866Posted 12/5/2012 1:12:59 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#38LifeVirus1289Posted 12/5/2012 1:15:35 PM
melvin475866 posted...
I agree on the dragon riding. They advertised it would be in and then just half arsed it. Real lazy work. As for the rest, that was all speculation. They didn't confirm any of that we just nosed around in files and assumed. Can't get mad at them for that

You guys are stupid for thinking you would have total control of a dragon in a game that wouldn't even let you levitate. The rest was never promised to us.
---
By the Nine, did that really just happen?
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Baalthezar/advanced
#39My_Momma_SaidPosted 12/5/2012 1:22:52 PM
NTJack0 posted...
EzioAuditore947 posted...
You want spears?. Here you go, use these - as arrows.
You want Werebears?. Here you go. You can't become one though.
You want dragon riding?. Here you go. You can't control it in anyway though.

If it wasn't for the Morrowind nostalgia, i'd be seriously disappointed.

Wipe your tears, princess.

“There you go...let it all slide out. Unhappiness can't stick in a person's soul when it's slick with tears.” - Shannon Hale, Princess Academy
#40generalhsPosted 12/5/2012 1:25:55 PM
Spiritofpower posted...
Then in that case have "travel mode" load a different, totally empty version of Skyrim with nothing important in it that's designed to be loaded that quick. Or maybe have the dragon Shout a portal in the air or something which basically teleports you there. In other words, fast travel but instantaneous and flashier.

Until the animation annoys most players after the 10th time or so and they skip the dragons entirely.