I don't understand the Balgruuf love...

#11ChunhwaPosted 12/5/2012 12:50:01 PM
EmblemWarrior posted...
Um, because he's a competent ruler who's response to "A Dragon attacked Nearby" is "Get my troops out there to defend my people."

Also, he sends his best and most trusted soldier to take a team and investigate a Dragon sighting, isn't corrupt or a puppet, and out of all the Jarls is the one who actually seems to have his **** together.

http://www.ugo.com/games/skyrim-scumbag-jarl
---
The guilty pay the price.
#12EmblemWarriorPosted 12/5/2012 12:50:41 PM
Note that his response to his advisor saying "You Accepted the Concordant" is

"The Jarls weren't asked for thier opinion. The chests of Imperial gold helped soften the blow"

or something of that nature.
---
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
#13notSFFPosted 12/5/2012 12:53:26 PM
Chunhwa posted...
EmblemWarrior posted...
Um, because he's a competent ruler who's response to "A Dragon attacked Nearby" is "Get my troops out there to defend my people."

Also, he sends his best and most trusted soldier to take a team and investigate a Dragon sighting, isn't corrupt or a puppet, and out of all the Jarls is the one who actually seems to have his **** together.

I'm almost positive that that's meant to be satirical/joking.
#14ChunhwaPosted 12/5/2012 12:54:07 PM
notSFF posted...
Chunhwa posted...
EmblemWarrior posted...

I'm almost positive that that's meant to be satirical/joking.

Of course it is.
---
The guilty pay the price.
#15MortsllemPosted 12/5/2012 12:57:28 PM
Well Ulfric seems content to feed Alduin souls, he seems to be the only one even aware of the dragon problems, the rest are "uhuh end of the world? GIMMIE STUFF FIRST"
#16zeroboboPosted 12/5/2012 12:58:20 PM
EmblemWarrior posted...

pretty sure anyone would send guards to an UNDEFENDED town if a dragon was nearby. thing is, pretty much every other town already has guards. so balgruuf was the only ruler dumb enough to have a town without any guards. good job!

he sends a guy who merely told him he saw a dragon to go get a stone carving that could be hugely important in defending themselves against the dragons with no help at all. seems pretty dumb to me.

oh! also, he gets TRICKED into siding with the empire. if you side with the empire, you deliver a letter with false troop numbers and movements and reports to trick balgruuf into siding with the empire.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#17Omni024Posted 12/5/2012 1:01:40 PM
I like him because he seems to actually give a hoot about his citizens well being. He appreciated the help I gave him and it almost seemed as if we were friends. Hes there at a very important part of the Companion questline. All in all he doesnt just sit on his throne and bark orders. He's earned his respect.
#18EmblemWarriorPosted 12/5/2012 1:04:42 PM(edited)
zerobobo posted...
EmblemWarrior posted...

pretty sure anyone would send guards to an UNDEFENDED town if a dragon was nearby. thing is, pretty much every other town already has guards. so balgruuf was the only ruler dumb enough to have a town without any guards. good job!

he sends a guy who merely told him he saw a dragon to go get a stone carving that could be hugely important in defending themselves against the dragons with no help at all. seems pretty dumb to me.

oh! also, he gets TRICKED into siding with the empire. if you side with the empire, you deliver a letter with false troop numbers and movements and reports to trick balgruuf into siding with the empire.

Sorry, but Riverwood has guards already, Balgruff sends actual troops to defend it. Despite the fact that said action might have provoked another Jarl into attacking him.

And you leave out the fact that Ulfric was planning to Attack whiterun anyway.

And you remember how Ulfric killed Torygg? you know, honorable duel? Well, Ulfric refused to fight a duel with Balgruff to settle Whiteruns fate, instead opting to throw his troops at it. Balgruff was willing to die for his city, but Ulfric wasn't willing to die for his troops.
---
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
#19notSFFPosted 12/5/2012 1:05:13 PM
Even if Tullius exaggerated the amount of troops and their positions, the general gist of the letter was genuine. Ulfric WAS mobilizing an all out attack on Whiterun, simply because Balgruuf tried to remain neutral. Hell, I'm pretty that, when you go to Windhelm to deliver Balgruuf'd axe to Ulfric, he and Galmar are in the middle of planning the attack.
#20LifeVirus1289Posted 12/5/2012 1:12:02 PM
He's lord of the reefer.
---
By the Nine, did that really just happen?
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Baalthezar/advanced