Miraak glitch, gamebreaking DLC.

#41elderdrakePosted 12/11/2012 10:14:45 AM
Capt_Jet23 posted...
I don't think this would work. I am pretty sure the save file doesn't unwrite the dragonborn content when you uninstall it.

It works, at least rolling back the DLC does and I am working on seeing if the Miraak issue resolves by just heading straight through his quest.

When I did the steps I mentioned in my other post, upon reinstalling the dlc and launching it did just like the pc version. The game prompted me that the save had content that was no longer available and asked to continue. When I did it cleared my inventory of all Dragonborn items and my quest log was wiped for any Dragonborn completed/active quest. I saved and reinstalled Dragonborn and the dlc acted as though I had never touched it with every dialogue and quest renewed (including the initial cultist attack).

I'll post back on if this fixes Miraak.
#42f0rgePosted 12/11/2012 10:48:46 AM
I had this issue as well, had to re-do this part 4 or 5 times before I figured it out.

My problem seemed to be that I was killing Miraak too quickly. It seems that if you beat him within an inch of his life he gets stuck in the pool when he calls and kills the dragons.

My solution was to slow down and only hit him a couple of times to get him down to about 1/4 health and then he went for the pool.

Once I stopped beating him so mercilessly he went through all 3 dragons and finally died.

For the record you don't have to ride that dragon every time, you can save right when you land on Miraak's island/pedestal thing.
#43elderdrakePosted 12/11/2012 12:11:11 PM
f0rge posted...
I had this issue as well, had to re-do this part 4 or 5 times before I figured it out.

My problem seemed to be that I was killing Miraak too quickly. It seems that if you beat him within an inch of his life he gets stuck in the pool when he calls and kills the dragons.

That seems to be a separate glitch with this fight. This bug centers completely around Miraak not absorbing the souls of the dragons, instead you do when he kills them. He does not heal as a result and stays in the center pool in an ethereal state. You can sneak and hide from him forcing him out of the that state but that only restarts the fight and he will again return to the center at 20-30% health and laughably then call down a dragon he already killed and remain in the center.
#44SkinMechanicPosted 12/11/2012 12:19:33 PM
Lucky me, he went down like a sack of **** first time ^_^.
---
Want a biased, one-sided unfair opinion full of hatred and bile? Visit me on Twitter - @SkinMechanical.
#45twistedswordPosted 12/11/2012 6:03:59 PM
Capt_Jet23 posted...
I don't think this would work. I am pretty sure the save file doesn't unwrite the dragonborn content when you uninstall it. I could be wrong, but I'm not going to try until you tell me it works. I think you are right with your theory as to why it's happening, as that's the one thing we have in common. Hell, I didn't even know miraak could jack souls from you out in the world. Something is causing that mechanic to be missing in my game, and I guess it's coming from not having that 25MB update when first starting the game after downloading DB.

As for a fix, the only thing I can think of if your idea doesn't work is loading a save from before dragonborn and continue from there. Otherwise were stuck waiting for a patch again.

Yeah I have this problem too; so If I delete the DLC and clear the cache and redownload it, it SHOULD fix the problem? Is this the common denominator? Cause maybe support can work with that.
---
"And in this darkest hour, we shall be your light.
You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am Winter Born."
#46viperjo78Posted 12/11/2012 6:18:19 PM
elderdrake posted...
tl;dr: Just skim down to my possible idea for a fix to skip the idea that a messed up update may be the issue.

I have a theory based off of reading various post on this. One thing I saw was two people mentioning having to reinstall the newest update upon installing Dragonborn in order for Solsteim to open up. Meaning the boat, cultist, nothing to do with the Dragonborn dlc was initiating even though the dlc was showing up under addons. Once the update for the game was reapplied, they immediately were attacked by cultist. This happened with me and I had to clear my cache and let Live download the update again.

Anyways, my thought is that those saves may just be fubar'd. Apparently Miraak is supposed to show up and steal dragon souls from dragons you down once you start his quest, I never once saw him do this and I killed a LOT of dragons while playing the dlc. If you assume that a few mechanics were screwed up by the update scenario above then Miraak may be bugged out on the script to absorb souls (it would make sense considering Miraak can appear in both Solstiem and Skyrim when jacking a kill, just like the cultist attacking you in Skyrim).

Possible fix: You would have to get the game to think your save never used the Dragonborn dlc. Only way I can think is to uninstall Dragonborn (making sure to save your game with any stored belongings you want back in Skyrim) then load up the save. It should prompt you (if it is like the pc) that content is missing from that save but will let you load up anyways. Once in the game, save it again. Now that save is cleaned (for lack of a better term) of any Dragonborn content. Reinstall Dragonborn (making sure the update is all good, it should be since you are downloading from the Marketplace and when you start the game, if the update is wrong then Live will prompt you on it). When you load back in, hopefully the entire dlc is reset and the boat is at Windhelm (along with Deja Vu starting events like the initial cultist attack).

It may seem a pain in the arse to do but it is better then writing it off. You should know if you are good if as you are playing through Dragonborn Miraak jacks a soul or two from you. Anyways, this is just a guess but maybe a fix. I'll test it out myself and post back but considering the time it will take, might be a minute.

Holy quacker jacks this may just work. I just killed a dragon and miraak stole the dragon soul from me!!! Promising results thus far...
#47Solus86Posted 12/11/2012 11:50:52 PM
Having the same problem. Miraak never stole any dragon souls from me, and in the final battle the dragon souls always go to me. I don't have any saves from back in Skyrim to revert to, and I have tried all the solutions my searching has yielded. I assume this means I'm stuck untill a patch. Level 79, and I can't enjoy the game untill Bethesda works something out. Great.
#48elderdrakePosted 12/12/2012 12:05:26 AM
viperjo78 posted...

Holy quacker jacks this may just work. I just killed a dragon and miraak stole the dragon soul from me!!! Promising results thus far...

Yep, I did a full clean of my save and just killed Miraak. I noticed, as you mention, that the very first dragon I killed (after seeing Miraak for the first time) he showed up and stole the dragon soul after I killed the dragon. Fast forward, the final fight now worked and Miraak absorbed the souls instead of me allowing the fight to progress and for me to beat him.

Note: Anyone doing this, make sure to cover all bases. Just a blow by blow:

1.) Save your game in Skyrim (make sure to bring any stored items you left in Solsteim to avoid losing them).

2.) Uninstall Dragonborn, clear the cache, and make sure you only have the one title update for the game.

3.) Reload your save the game will prompt you that the save relies on content that is no longer available, just load it. This is why you saved your items hopefully in step#1 because everything on that save from Dragonborn is wiped and the quest log cleaned up as well. Save the game again, the file is now clean of the Dragonborn dlc.

4.) Reinstall Dragonborn

5.) Reload the save a final time and you should see that the dlc is reset and you can go to the docks in Windhelm or have fun with the Cultist. Whatever you decide the game should now be good to go.

(optional): To really cover my arse I focused on the quest for Miraak exclusively at first. As soon as I first encountered him in his realm and he kicked me out I started hunting dragons in the hope he would show up and steal the soul. Luck was with me, the first dragon I nailed and he popped up in Solsteim (he will just port in after you kill the dragon, talk a line or two of smack, jack your soul, and port/fade away). I did not unlock any further shouts between him kicking me out of his realm and that event. I am convinced now that that was the glitch, somehow the title update application was fubar'd for some of us and it messed up the scripts for him (thus screwing up the last fight).

Hope this helps and I know it is frustrating to go back through it all. In a way it is good, I noticed many things I missed before. Plus, not having to load a save from prior to trying the dlc the first time meant I was able to not loose the skill progress I had put in while playing through the glitched 1st time (if that makes sense). Anyways, happy gaming.
#49BongSabrePosted 12/12/2012 6:03:30 AM
When you attack Miraak, try not to absolutely murder him until he has absorbed all of the dragons, just rough him up until he runs to a puddle.
---
It may be wrong, but god bless godlessness.