just so i understand no spears

#11KeldonisPosted 12/9/2012 5:24:26 PM(edited)
The_Beer_Scotch posted...
Why would you be suckered in? Nobody official promised you those things.

Please.....

You are correct in that Bethseda did not officially "promise" us anything, but they aren't stupid. They know what fans want.

Making spears that when picked up "turn into arrows", and dragons that officially act as a glorified fast- travel novelty is pretty ***tty, no matter how much you want to argue otherwise. They also decided to include werebears, which was awesome, yet they troll us further by giving us no real option of becoming one.

Yes, they could be restrained by console restrictions/coding, but if that was the case, they would've have been better off leaving dragon riding out in the first place. Clearly, they had to know that their current "implementation" of dragon riding was going to disappoint a vast majority of people.

They released a trailer, got everyone all excited about the new DLC (just in time for the holidays), and cashed in. That's really the reality. The fact that they were very "hush-hush" about what was going to be added or "confirmed" further exemplifies this. They were planning on people's ignorance, and it payed off. (Go advertising)

Don't get me wrong however. This DLC isn't all about spears and dragon riding. For the most part it was a worthy addition and I loved it. I'd gladly pay $20 again. I do think it had much more potential however, and IMO they took the lazy way out.
---
We trained harder than you today, and we're gonna party harder than you tonight. Mint with the crew.
#12KeldonisPosted 12/9/2012 5:39:03 PM(edited)
And for the record TC, I still think you should get this DLC, dragon riding aside.

It's still overall excellent, despite some disappointments.
---
We trained harder than you today, and we're gonna party harder than you tonight. Mint with the crew.
#13The_Beer_ScotchPosted 12/9/2012 6:51:26 PM
Spears where not shown wielded by the player character. And anyone with an inkling of common sense would/should realise fully controllable dragon flight is not going to happen. And judging a whole dlc on two features you wanted but where not included is silly.

I could say "Im not buying the next skyrim dlc because It doesn't include black marsh, but the trailer showed a swamp!" That would make me an idiot for jumping to conclusions.

As for the cashing in part... yes to a certain extent.

But if people want to datamine snippets of info, then spread them as factual information... bethesda did not create that s***storm, they could spend money to combat it, or use it as free advertising whilst remaining not at fault as they did not give any indication of it being true. That is not lazy, that is smart business.

Lazy does not come into it when making a game this size, yet everyones keen to fling the word around whenever their personal whims and desired are not exclusivly catered for...
---
You can have her then. I like my boys and girls pure, sloppy seconds are for chumps. ~ Rikashi.
#14KeldonisPosted 12/9/2012 8:15:17 PM(edited)
Just to break down your last response:

Spears where not shown wielded by the player character. And anyone with an inkling of common sense would/should realise fully controllable dragon flight is not going to happen. And judging a whole dlc on two features you wanted but where not included is silly.

Spears as not being shown wielded by the player is irrelevant, they've already had the animation done for over a year, as it was included in last years GameJam video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PedZazWQ48 (2:01-2:07)

You'll also notice, that more than half of these features have already been included as part of the vanilla game or as DLC already.

I could say "Im not buying the next skyrim dlc because It doesn't include black marsh, but the trailer showed a swamp!" That would make me an idiot for jumping to conclusions.

But if people want to datamine snippets of info, then spread them as factual information... bethesda did not create that s***storm, they could spend money to combat it, or use it as free advertising whilst remaining not at fault as they did not give any indication of it being true.

Highly inflated example taken way out of context. Beth has known for a long time that fans have wanted spears and dragon riding in Skyrim (it wouldn't have even made it into the Gamejam video otherwise).

The trailer purposely shows "spears and dragons." However you want to take it, they new this concept would sell and people would "jump to conclusions" (i.e. cashing in on the consumer). These "snippets of info" were obviously used towards an advantage, to sell a product that they refused to release little to no info for, even two days before Dragonborn's scheduled release.

That is not lazy, that is smart business.

I agree. They lowered their production and developing costs, and gave us a DLC that was pretty much the half-assed version it could've been, while at the same time maximizing their profit by exploiting people's stupidity.

Now they can simply charge more $$ for a future/potential DLC with spears (that don't "magically" transform into arrows) and the ability to become infected by a werebear.

Lazy does not come into it when making a game this size, yet everyones keen to fling the word around whenever their personal whims and desired are not exclusivly catered for...

Agree in general. Skryim is a fantastic game that has more than an ample amount of effort put into it. However, as I said that doesn't exclude the fact that an argument can still be made for corporate laziness. Especially when something like spear animations have already been done. Magically transforming them into arrows seems like a pretty lazy/half-assed attempt to me.
---
#15tzar_666(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 8:45:03 PM
sorry didnt intend to start anything ill still get it. im just a little depressed thats all.
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#16KeldonisPosted 12/9/2012 8:50:37 PM
tzar_666 posted...
sorry didnt intend to start anything ill still get it. im just a little depressed thats all.

You didn't "start" anything at all, and I understand where you're coming from,

As I said though, the DLC is still great. You'll enjoy it regardless. Just don't expect to free roam on a dragon in Skyrim.

Solsthiem, the new quests, items, armor, shouts, spells, etc.....are all fantastic.
---
#17KeldonisPosted 12/9/2012 8:54:58 PM
Plus, I just did a dissertation and 15 page thesis on consumerist culture/mass consumerism and corporate greed, so I might have come off a little harsh in my above responses about Bethseda.

Oh Bethseda, I still love you.....even though I think spears, werebears, and dragon riding could have been implemented in a much better approach.
---
#18The_Beer_ScotchPosted 12/9/2012 9:11:57 PM
So we agree pretty much then keldonis.

Corpporate laziness and clever exploitation, yes.

Laziness as in "they didnt give me one feature so the 100's they did give are irrelevant this is lazy" no.

However I disagree on the gamejam part to an extent, I think it was todd who said in an interview that they had issues with the spear animation and that it was not final game quality, its fully possible the animations are just not working to the extent they can justify charging for them.
---
You can have her then. I like my boys and girls pure, sloppy seconds are for chumps. ~ Rikashi.
#19RKO_ViperPosted 12/9/2012 9:34:19 PM
I couldn't care less about spears, I just wanted to become a wearbear :(

Especially after I found out Hircine has a large influence over Solstheim.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#20NTJack0Posted 12/9/2012 9:49:20 PM
Lol when pepole bought it solely for Dragon riding and spears.