Why are mods so popular amongst the PC crowd?

#101simonbelmont2Posted 12/11/2012 2:30:54 PM
Cadaurny posted...
In less than 5 minutes skimming through the top 100 non-adult mods I found,

A mod that improves the UI (really nice since the UI is terrible for a M/KB)
A mod that makes the world map a lot nicer looking and useful
A mod that improves 600 textures in the game, making them 4x as big as the HD Pack that PC got
A lot of nice and lore-friendly (not skimpy) armors
A bunch of awesome swords
Various graphical improvements
A mod that makes dragons more deadly (adding 14 'new' dragon types with their own attacks)
Cloaks
A bunch of new killmoves
A unofficial patch that like the ones for previous games, fixes hundreds of bugs
A mod that lets you start elsewhere at the beginning rather than as a prisoner (seems to have quite a few options)
A mod that adds 60+ new and unique spells
And finally a mod that adds warzones to the game where dozens of NPCs will fight each other.

That's the first 30 mods for the top 100. I also saw a couple of mods that appeared to revamp the combat and vampires. Personally, I prefer to pretend that the adult section doesn't exist.

Lol, so true.

I think a lot of the mod haters never bothered to actually look at the mods on the nexus. As usual some people on the boards talk about stuff without having an informed opinion on the subject. I play Skyrim on the 360 and it works fine. I also tried it on my PC a few times too with mods. Both versions are good and mods definitely can improve the PC version. One of the best mods I ever saw was the portable player home. That idea was genius. I also like some of the little mods like the ones that add wearable lanterns for example. Stuff like that really adds a nice touch to the game.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#102tinyjotunPosted 12/11/2012 2:36:46 PM
Why are mods popular amongst the PC crowd? It's the possibilities. Sure, you will have to go through hundreds of junk mods to find the gems, but that story is said about full games as well.

There is supposedly a mod being made that will have the full Morrowind game within Skyrim. Before Hearthfire, there was a housing mod, that is supposedly better than Hearthfire. If this mod didn't get made, would Hearthfire had been made?

Take a look at other games. Call of Duty Search & Destroy, original a free Half Life mod called Counterstrike. CoD Domination, originally a free HL mod called Day of Defeat. Without mods, we wouldn't have had all these game modes, because it's the gamers who come up with the ideas, not the publishers.

It's the possibilities.
#103suksassPosted 12/11/2012 2:41:49 PM
tinyjotun posted...
Why are mods popular amongst the PC crowd? It's the possibilities. Sure, you will have to go through hundreds of junk mods to find the gems, but that story is said about full games as well.

There is supposedly a mod being made that will have the full Morrowind game within Skyrim. Before Hearthfire, there was a housing mod, that is supposedly better than Hearthfire. If this mod didn't get made, would Hearthfire had been made?

Take a look at other games. Call of Duty Search & Destroy, original a free Half Life mod called Counterstrike. CoD Domination, originally a free HL mod called Day of Defeat. Without mods, we wouldn't have had all these game modes, because it's the gamers who come up with the ideas, not the publishers.

It's the possibilities.

So basically what you saying is that it's a scam designed by publishers to steal ideas from moders without any obligations to them?
#104SuperrpgmanPosted 12/11/2012 2:42:34 PM
gotta love topics where the TC never replies after the first post.
---
Project Beat a Game a Day, along with my Daily NES Archive:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563947-a-view-to-a-kill
#105jrr18Posted 12/11/2012 2:43:25 PM
Superrpgman posted...
gotta love topics where the TC never replies after the first post.

It's a troll topic what were you expecting?
---
Victory through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#106Kageblade23Posted 12/11/2012 2:46:57 PM
13thDragon13 posted...
PC crowd = neckbeard, anti-social Virgins. They need the nude and anime mods.

thats stereo typing...
#107Sir_SpecterPosted 12/11/2012 2:47:36 PM
Mods are popular because Bethesda released a broken game and heavily skimped on the content. It's got the framework of a good game though. They made the toolkit so that other people could fix the game for them so that they don't need to do anything.
#108tinyjotunPosted 12/11/2012 2:52:16 PM
suksass posted...
tinyjotun posted...

It's the possibilities.

So basically what you saying is that it's a scam designed by publishers to steal ideas from moders without any obligations to them?

I wouldn't call it a scam, because majority of the big name publishers are taking more control of their games, & not releasing mod tools. Dragon Age 1 had mod tools, DA2 did not. I think they figured, if there were free mods, no one would want to buy their DLC.
#1091618dudePosted 12/11/2012 2:56:39 PM
Console only users can't give any opinion about mods, graphics and performance because most of them have never used a pc for gaming. You can't just look the mods, see some videos on the internets and know what you're actually missing or the differences between console and pc.
Most "mod haters" here have never used a mod before. It's alright if you don't care that much and are happy with the console version, but don't act like you know what you're talking about.
#110suksassPosted 12/11/2012 3:02:14 PM
1618dude posted...
Console only users can't give any opinion about mods, graphics and performance because most of them have never used a pc for gaming. You can't just look the mods, see some videos on the internets and know what you're actually missing or the differences between console and pc.
Most "mod haters" here have never used a mod before. It's alright if you don't care that much and are happy with the console version, but don't act like you know what you're talking about.

Actualy graphic and perfomance is allowed for them. that falls under quality over price profile. As the one who has both versions of Skyrim I have to say that I only use PC when I feel like playing with mods or just feel like playing a pc game. Sadly there is no denying part of the acusations over the pervertedness. I've seen my fair share of nude mods. And there is this mod which is quite popular and adds a dungeon-home near riverwood that would throw this entire comunity into frenzy.