Why are mods so popular amongst the PC crowd?

#111RevolverOzelotPosted 12/11/2012 4:12:06 PM
Sir_Specter posted...
Mods are popular because Bethesda released a broken game and heavily skimped on the content. It's got the framework of a good game though. They made the toolkit so that other people could fix the game for them so that they don't need to do anything.

so by that logic, morrowind, oblivion, fallout 3, and new vegas are also broken games?
#112YiGeRenPosted 12/11/2012 4:13:34 PM
The argument that mods are somehow bad, or that you personally don't use them because some of them are perverted or gross has to be one of the worst I've ever seen. Especially because its being posted on the internet. If you don't use things because other people use them for things you find objectionable, you might want to consider leaving the internet and never coming back. In fact, just to be safe, you might want to destroy all your possessions too, because its almost guaranteed that someone has used something like them for something disturbing at some time.
Bugs are slightly better argument but not really a problem for anyone with the ability to click a mouse and use basic problem solving skills. I had a bug where I couldn't start Skyrim because a mod hadn't updated to be compatible with Skyrim's update. About as serious as a bug could get, solved by simply finding which one it was and turning it off. Then I continued happily playing and re-installed the mod when the creator updated it.
Anti-mod people, please try a better argument, like that it harms the games artistic integrity or some nonsense. Or that moving files around is just far too difficult for you.
#113Lord_Draco170Posted 12/11/2012 4:14:25 PM
I tend to use mods that improve combat, give me a cool house (I still want a really nice house in the sky like I did in Oblivion), add more and cooler enemies, and improve the appearance of the overall world. Also, if I find a mod that adds a neat questline, I'll use that too. I also like mods that fix bugs, because it's always a bad day to have a bug that breaks your game.
#114mjc0961Posted 12/11/2012 4:14:26 PM
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34888
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34902

Oh no, I ruined Fallout New Vegas by making it look a little nicer (and actually having real night-time, works great with Hardcore mode where you need to sleep or you suffer negative effects) and making dialog options easier to pick from due to less scrolling!
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#115mjc0961Posted 12/11/2012 4:16:14 PM
RevolverOzelot posted...
so by that logic... fallout 3, and new vegas are also broken games?

YES. Especially on PS3 (man, so regret getting Fallout 3 on PS3, if only I had done research on that first. oh well, have a PC copy now, much better). But even on PC, I would call Fallout New Vegas, a game where I press Quicksave more than any other button because I live in constant fear of the game crashing for the 50 billionth time, broken.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#1161618dudePosted 12/11/2012 4:16:53 PM
suksass posted...
1618dude posted...
Console only users can't give any opinion about mods, graphics and performance because most of them have never used a pc for gaming. You can't just look the mods, see some videos on the internets and know what you're actually missing or the differences between console and pc.
Most "mod haters" here have never used a mod before. It's alright if you don't care that much and are happy with the console version, but don't act like you know what you're talking about.

Actualy graphic and perfomance is allowed for them. that falls under quality over price profile. As the one who has both versions of Skyrim I have to say that I only use PC when I feel like playing with mods or just feel like playing a pc game. Sadly there is no denying part of the acusations over the pervertedness. I've seen my fair share of nude mods. And there is this mod which is quite popular and adds a dungeon-home near riverwood that would throw this entire comunity into frenzy.

Not sure why you prefer playing the console version sometimes. I played the console version and I hated (sorry for the strong word, but that's really the case) but that's you and as long you're having fun, I guess you can't go wrong that way.
As for the perv mods... I think everyone should stop acting like saints. If any game like elder scrolls, with a good support for modding, very popular (I mean elder scrolls popular or even more) is released, you'll see pretty much the same thing. nude mods and even moar heavy stuff. That has nothing to do with the pc or mod community. If consoles had modding support, I find hard to believe that we pc users would be the only users of said perv mods. If the possibility to make mods like that are there, they will be created.
#117mjc0961Posted 12/11/2012 4:18:34 PM
13thDragon13 posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

Holy s*** a GameFAQs mod actually deleted a post that blatantly violated the rules for once. Maybe the world IS going to end next week after all...
---
#118Aqua69696Posted 12/11/2012 4:19:50 PM
RevolverOzelot posted...
Because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7b0mjp1wRA

Bet your console kiddy version can't do THAT

OH SWEET JEBUS! Slowing time with AP instead of VATS is what I've always wanted in that game (I really hate VATS, and the controls are too clumsy to aim at small targets). I really need a better PC (OR Laptop), that'd improve the game immensely for me.
---
But there's still tomorrow Forget the sorrow And I can be on the Last Train Home
Watch it pass the day As it fades away No more time to care No more time Today
#119RikiazPosted 12/11/2012 4:22:59 PM
tinyjotun posted...
suksass posted...
tinyjotun posted...
Why are mods popular amongst the PC crowd? It's the possibilities. Sure, you will have to go through hundreds of junk mods to find the gems, but that story is said about full games as well.

There is supposedly a mod being made that will have the full Morrowind game within Skyrim. Before Hearthfire, there was a housing mod, that is supposedly better than Hearthfire. If this mod didn't get made, would Hearthfire had been made?

Take a look at other games. Call of Duty Search & Destroy, original a free Half Life mod called Counterstrike. CoD Domination, originally a free HL mod called Day of Defeat. Without mods, we wouldn't have had all these game modes, because it's the gamers who come up with the ideas, not the publishers.

It's the possibilities.

So basically what you saying is that it's a scam designed by publishers to steal ideas from moders without any obligations to them?

I wouldn't call it a scam, because majority of the big name publishers are taking more control of their games, & not releasing mod tools. Dragon Age 1 had mod tools, DA2 did not. I think they figured, if there were free mods, no one would want to buy their DLC.

It is not a scam, it is a term of use clearly laid out in the EULA. Bethesda can use any and all assets and ideas created with the Creation Kit without asking mod makers. Anyone who makes a mod on the Creation Kit has to agree to and acknowledge this fact and it is not a bad thing, I think it is a good thing because then mods can be essentially implemented in official DLC.
---
In death lays ecstasy, in undeath lays immortality
#120suksassPosted 12/11/2012 4:33:06 PM
1618dude posted...
suksass posted...
1618dude posted...
Console only users can't give any opinion about mods, graphics and performance because most of them have never used a pc for gaming. You can't just look the mods, see some videos on the internets and know what you're actually missing or the differences between console and pc.
Most "mod haters" here have never used a mod before. It's alright if you don't care that much and are happy with the console version, but don't act like you know what you're talking about.

Actualy graphic and perfomance is allowed for them. that falls under quality over price profile. As the one who has both versions of Skyrim I have to say that I only use PC when I feel like playing with mods or just feel like playing a pc game. Sadly there is no denying part of the acusations over the pervertedness. I've seen my fair share of nude mods. And there is this mod which is quite popular and adds a dungeon-home near riverwood that would throw this entire comunity into frenzy.

Not sure why you prefer playing the console version sometimes. I played the console version and I hated (sorry for the strong word, but that's really the case) but that's you and as long you're having fun, I guess you can't go wrong that way.
As for the perv mods... I think everyone should stop acting like saints. If any game like elder scrolls, with a good support for modding, very popular (I mean elder scrolls popular or even more) is released, you'll see pretty much the same thing. nude mods and even moar heavy stuff. That has nothing to do with the pc or mod community. If consoles had modding support, I find hard to believe that we pc users would be the only users of said perv mods. If the possibility to make mods like that are there, they will be created.

I don't deny it. My only beef with mods are some bugs that brake a game and console comand can't help me with them. If you have any info on mod that fixes the game bug that forces the game to enter loading screen upon loading up a save file made in the open world where it simply refuses to move past the loading screen, it would be greatly apreciated.