Why are mods so popular amongst the PC crowd?

#121HeyZeussPosted 12/11/2012 4:39:01 PM
I have over 70 mods, none of them are nude or skimpy armor mods.

Lots of visual mods, game looks amazing.
Combat mods, makes combat more realistic and challenging.
Magic mods, new spells and better system for magic.
Horse armor, looks awesome.
Faster horses, horses now go horse-speed.
Walk speed, can now walk along NPC's at the same speed.
New Alchemy ingredients from animals.
More creatures, and mre variety of creatures. Instead of just bears and wolves, now have adult bears, or young wolves. Reflected by size and strength.
Bigger Giants. They look like Giants now.
Legendary creatures. Random super-strong creatures of different types scattered around.
Better (looking) armors and weapons.
Better physics for ragdolling.
New bard songs, new battle music.
New ambient sounds all over the world.
Customizable killmoves.
Better candlelight spell...

I could go on. For a while.

Nothing about any of this 'ruins' the game. The thing is, you can actually CHOOSE what you want installed, and aren't FORCED into using the nude mods or mods you don't like...
#1221618dudePosted 12/11/2012 4:42:53 PM
suksass posted...
I don't deny it. My only beef with mods are some bugs that brake a game and console comand can't help me with them. If you have any info on mod that fixes the game bug that forces the game to enter loading screen upon loading up a save file made in the open world where it simply refuses to move past the loading screen, it would be greatly apreciated.

I wish I could help, but I guess I'm one of the lucky dudes that hardly see any bugs on skyrim. But... how familiar are you with mods anyway? How many mods do you have installed? Sometimes you have to take the load order into consideration. And when updating the mod, you can't just overwrite the "esp". sometimes you need to "clean the save".
If you haven't, try using this very BOSS program here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6
It may help.
#123suksassPosted 12/11/2012 4:47:08 PM
1618dude posted...
suksass posted...
I don't deny it. My only beef with mods are some bugs that brake a game and console comand can't help me with them. If you have any info on mod that fixes the game bug that forces the game to enter loading screen upon loading up a save file made in the open world where it simply refuses to move past the loading screen, it would be greatly apreciated.

I wish I could help, but I guess I'm one of the lucky dudes that hardly see any bugs on skyrim. But... how familiar are you with mods anyway? How many mods do you have installed? Sometimes you have to take the load order into consideration. And when updating the mod, you can't just overwrite the "esp". sometimes you need to "clean the save".
If you haven't, try using this very BOSS program here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6
It may help.

About 20. The thing is it didn't happen imediatly. Only after a short ammount of time. couple of days of playng I believe. I usualy just overwrite and that may be the problem. Thank you.
#124Ertrick36Posted 12/11/2012 6:00:26 PM
TheCongo posted...
I think it kind of ruins the game.

I can understand useful mods but the majority of them are so very pointless.

You know, I am very mixed on my opinion with mods... And here's why:

You see, I own a PC that is very capable of gaming. And with it, I have a few games. When I first started playing it, I decided that maybe a mod would be good for the game. Then that one mod became two, then four, then eight, then sixteen, then 36, etcetra, etcetra... The mindest behind a PC gamer is that they should get a ton of mods to enhance their game. I, having been inexperienced with owning mods, just decided to get a whole ton of mods after my first few, because I wasn't satisfied with the few I had. Then I started getting overhauls. So now all of a sudden, I have over 80 mods. Good thing? No! I don't know what the f*** to do with myself! I have all these mods, and I won't be able to play with every single mod I've got before I die! If there's a such thing as "too much of a good thing", this would be it. I also find that the more mods I get, the more I cheat, because the mods will most certainly change the very nature of the game. I love all the mods I've got, but there are too damn many of them! Thus, the majority of my mods have basically become... pointless.

On the same coin, 4th party development is revolutionary. 4th party development has existed since the 70's, when the industries of gaming started to really grow (despite a crash in that time period), but has grown since. Now modding is widespread, and also very technical. As I've said, some mods change the very nature of the game. Mods such as overhauls will usually change the programming of AI behaviors, physics, parameters, and damage reception. This will thus encourage the growth of the gaming industry as a whole. A lot of people who make mods will go into video game programming, as they have experience with programming games and love to do so (I think they do anyway). I know of this group of modders that have gone on to making their own game. And also, the mods are useful (especially if it's an RPG like Fallout or Oblivion). Sure, there might be some that will only do things like change the appearance of a few things, but even those can be significant (e.g. I've never really liked the greenish tint of the world of Fallout 3, so I put in the Fellout mod, which makes the sky a natural blue and fixes up the tint coming from the former sky).

So mods are a positive and negative thing. They are great assets and are fun, but can also become a burden (I will not get into the other issues with mods, as most of these issues are controversial and would thus invalidate my argument). People will often negatively associate mods with the lore in that mods are against the lore of the games they are made for, and that is not entirely true; while some mods do defy the lore of a game, others hold true to it.
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#125sir_adamPosted 12/11/2012 6:05:37 PM
TheCongo posted...

Have you seen some of them? New spells, new armor/weapons. I would pay so much for dlc like this
---
^Cool Story Bro
#126The_Undying_84Posted 12/11/2012 6:06:38 PM
I basically had to get Fallout 3 for PC (and use bug fixing mods) in order to play the DLC's, those were so broken that you literally couldn't play them on PS3. True for every Bethesda game although the others mostly aren't THAT bad.

I hate when people's argument against mods/the PC version is that they would just cheat with the console or mods, or when people say they spend too much time modding it and not enough playing it. That's due to their lack of self control, it's not the mods or the console's fault that they abuse them.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#127ALCPosted 12/11/2012 6:07:30 PM
PC game modding has been around for ages, and is not just a bunch of nudity stuff. Some mods became some of the most popular games ever. Counter-Strike and Team Fortress were originally just mods of Half-Life. Unreal Tournament also had a lot of sweet mods back in the day. There is so much that can be done with modding. If you can afford it, I highly recommend purchasing (or building) a gaming PC. You'll never look back. I have a 360, PS3, and Wii U, but they just can't do the things you can do on a PC.
---
"I don't play WoW as much anymore because i have a lot of friends (over 700 on facebook) and I get a lot of girls hitting on me now." - SomeLikeItHoth
#128TitanicHornetPosted 12/11/2012 6:09:23 PM
The beauty of it is that Skyrim can always remain fresh and seem like a new game. Got bored of your weapons and armour? Go download a mod and change it up. Thats just 1 example but you pretty much have no limits in your game with mods. Whilst console gamers wait months for DLC, people on PC are creating quests and items to make it seem like a new game a lot of the time.
---
You dont win silver, you lose gold!
#1291618dudePosted 12/11/2012 6:14:30 PM
Ertrick36 posted...
TheCongo posted...

You know, I am very mixed on my opinion with mods... And here's why:

You see, I own a PC that is very capable of gaming. And with it, I have a few games. When I first started playing it, I decided that maybe a mod would be good for the game. Then that one mod became two, then four, then eight, then sixteen, then 36, etcetra, etcetra... The mindest behind a PC gamer is that they should get a ton of mods to enhance their game. I, having been inexperienced with owning mods, just decided to get a whole ton of mods after my first few, because I wasn't satisfied with the few I had. Then I started getting overhauls. So now all of a sudden, I have over 80 mods. Good thing? No! I don't know what the f*** to do with myself! I have all these mods, and I won't be able to play with every single mod I've got before I die! If there's a such thing as "too much of a good thing", this would be it. I also find that the more mods I get, the more I cheat, because the mods will most certainly change the very nature of the game. I love all the mods I've got, but there are too damn many of them! Thus, the majority of my mods have basically become... pointless.

On the same coin, 4th party development is revolutionary. 4th party development has existed since the 70's, when the industries of gaming started to really grow (despite a crash in that time period), but has grown since. Now modding is widespread, and also very technical. As I've said, some mods change the very nature of the game. Mods such as overhauls will usually change the programming of AI behaviors, physics, parameters, and damage reception. This will thus encourage the growth of the gaming industry as a whole. A lot of people who make mods will go into video game programming, as they have experience with programming games and love to do so (I think they do anyway). I know of this group of modders that have gone on to making their own game. And also, the mods are useful (especially if it's an RPG like Fallout or Oblivion). Sure, there might be some that will only do things like change the appearance of a few things, but even those can be significant (e.g. I've never really liked the greenish tint of the world of Fallout 3, so I put in the Fellout mod, which makes the sky a natural blue and fixes up the tint coming from the former sky).

So mods are a positive and negative thing. They are great assets and are fun, but can also become a burden (I will not get into the other issues with mods, as most of these issues are controversial and would thus invalidate my argument). People will often negatively associate mods with the lore in that mods are against the lore of the games they are made for, and that is not entirely true; while some mods do defy the lore of a game, others hold true to it.

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand those reasons. The first problem that you cited wasn't exactly the mods fault, but yours. You're weren't familiar with mods, installed a bunch of them and that happened. I never heard of this "mind set of PC gamer". I just install the mods that I want. I know you aren't the first that say that, but again, that doesn't make this reason a good one.

As for the good side... Well I don't know. This seems good, but It doesn't seem to apply to game itself.
Anyway, not trying to insult you or anything, I just don't agree.
#130tatm21Posted 12/11/2012 6:25:43 PM
Lord_Draco170 posted...
I tend to use mods that improve combat, give me a cool house (I still want a really nice house in the sky like I did in Oblivion), add more and cooler enemies, and improve the appearance of the overall world. Also, if I find a mod that adds a neat questline, I'll use that too. I also like mods that fix bugs, because it's always a bad day to have a bug that breaks your game.

Mod for a house in the sky? Sleeping Tree Sanctuary-was my favorite house mod for a long time.
---
I7-2600k 4.5 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr II/OC SLI | 16GB Vengeance