Is worshiping Talos kind of like worshiping Jesus?

#321duddddeeeeee16Posted 12/16/2012 12:14:52 AM
Bro, this is one of those moments where I wish you and I could actually talk, not type back and forth on here, because you are actually intelligent about this. Unfortunately, that's not possible. Still, I'll try to say what I can.

First, yes, the Bible says homosexuality is wrong (sin). It also says bearing false witness is wrong (sin). God, according to the Bible, doesn't see things in amounts. Sin is sin, regardless of what the world thinks of it. So, my point was homoexuality, according to Christianity, is no different than lying to someone. There's more I could say, but I don't want to write too much.

As for slavery and God allowing it, the same can be said for murder and lust and cheating and everything. Why do those things exist? Well, to put it simply, it's because people do. People are sinful (and again, I'm going by the Bible). God doesn't force us to not be sinful because that's inherently unloving. Forcing someone to do something takes away will, it takes away freedom. In a sense, it's a sort of slavery. God gives people the chance to choose what to worship: him or the world. God doesn't force us to choose him, hence why sin exists. And, if you can follow the connection here (I may not be doing this any justice), slavery falls under the category of sin -- It's the opposite of love.

Anyway, I'm not clear on what the rest of what you said was. You say religion needs to change, I say people need to learn how to apply it to modern life. I've spent the past few years of my life studying the Bible and my own life and how the two connect. I, like many others, see how religion adapts itself. but once again, I respect our differences here.

Lastly: love. Jesus said sin is wrong and what not, but he loved the people who sinned. Look at any story in the NT. He showed love, he showed compassion. If there's anything I want to strive for in life, it's that. If your beliefs are to the point where you're not okay with me living this way, you may want to reconsider how confident you are in your own beliefs.

I'll wait for your reply, but I think I've done all I can on an internet forum for the time being. All I'm going to say is love people. Give them second chances even when you don't want to. And honestly, keep debating with people. Don't argue; debate.

Take care of yourself.
---
You're awesome. Yes, you. I don't care what you've done or what you've said to people. You're awesome. God thinks so too.
Hebrews 12:11-13
#322Final LegionPosted 12/16/2012 12:49:21 AM
duddddeeeeee16 posted...

First, yes, the Bible says homosexuality is wrong (sin). It also says bearing false witness is wrong (sin). God, according to the Bible, doesn't see things in amounts. Sin is sin, regardless of what the world thinks of it. So, my point was homoexuality, according to Christianity, is no different than lying to someone. There's more I could say, but I don't want to write too much.

Why is it even a sin in the first place? There is no rational, logical, philosophical or even spiritual reason for it. Now, you can either agree it's wrong or not. If you think homosexuality is a sin, I'd suggest you at least ask why.

As for slavery and God allowing it, the same can be said for murder and lust and cheating and everything. Why do those things exist? Well, to put it simply, it's because people do. People are sinful (and again, I'm going by the Bible). God doesn't force us to not be sinful because that's inherently unloving. Forcing someone to do something takes away will, it takes away freedom. In a sense, it's a sort of slavery. God gives people the chance to choose what to worship: him or the world. God doesn't force us to choose him, hence why sin exists. And, if you can follow the connection here (I may not be doing this any justice), slavery falls under the category of sin -- It's the opposite of love.

if it's a sin, why does the Bible endorse it? Exodus, Leviticus, Timothy, Peter..all these books mention slavery as being permissible. This is why there's no way the Bible is 'divinely inspired' unless you believe 'God' really does think slavery is okay. Since slavery was so prevalent in most cultures in ancient times, you'd think that if 'God' thought it was wrong, he'd say so or at least have Jesus say so.

Anyway, I'm not clear on what the rest of what you said was. You say religion needs to change, I say people need to learn how to apply it to modern life. I've spent the past few years of my life studying the Bible and my own life and how the two connect. I, like many others, see how religion adapts itself. but once again, I respect our differences here.

How much clearer can I make it? if you believe wholeheartedly in the philosophy of your religion, then you are going to do a lot things that are not only immoral but will prevent you from existing in the modern world.

Lastly: love. Jesus said sin is wrong and what not, but he loved the people who sinned. Look at any story in the NT. He showed love, he showed compassion. If there's anything I want to strive for in life, it's that. If your beliefs are to the point where you're not okay with me living this way, you may want to reconsider how confident you are in your own beliefs.

That depends. Are you going to live entirely by Christian philosophy and Jesus' creed...or just pick what sounds good and go with that? If it's the former, than why even bother calling yourself a 'Christian'? Christianity does not have a monopoly on love and compassion.
---
Poison Clan Rocks The World.
#323duddddeeeeee16Posted 12/16/2012 1:03:03 AM
Final Legion posted...
duddddeeeeee16 posted...

Why is it even a sin in the first place? There is no rational, logical, philosophical or even spiritual reason for it. Now, you can either agree it's wrong or not. If you think homosexuality is a sin, I'd suggest you at least ask why.

if it's a sin, why does the Bible endorse it? Exodus, Leviticus, Timothy, Peter..all these books mention slavery as being permissible. This is why there's no way the Bible is 'divinely inspired' unless you believe 'God' really does think slavery is okay. Since slavery was so prevalent in most cultures in ancient times, you'd think that if 'God' thought it was wrong, he'd say so or at least have Jesus say so.

How much clearer can I make it? if you believe wholeheartedly in the philosophy of your religion, then you are going to do a lot things that are not only immoral but will prevent you from existing in the modern world.

That depends. Are you going to live entirely by Christian philosophy and Jesus' creed...or just pick what sounds good and go with that? If it's the former, than why even bother calling yourself a 'Christian'? Christianity does not have a monopoly on love and compassion.

The whole thing. There's no such thing as being lukewarm. I believe anything considered sin is wrong. Do I hate people who don't? Not at all.

I've been living this life for a few years now, and I haven't run into any of those "immoral" situations you're talking about. What exactly are you alluding to?

PS: The Bible speaks differently about slavery in the OT when referring to the Gentiles rather than the Jews (God's people). Within the NT, it's pretty clear it's not okay despite still being around.
---
You're awesome. Yes, you. I don't care what you've done or what you've said to people. You're awesome. God thinks so too.
#324duddddeeeeee16Posted 12/16/2012 1:05:14 AM
By the way, you don't need to throw in the hostility, bro. You've made it clear you and your viewpoints are both educated. Nothing constructive comes from either of us attacking each others' beliefs. I don't know if you intended to come across as hostile, but that's what it feels like (thankfully, I'm used to it on these boards.)
---
#325Final LegionPosted 12/16/2012 1:16:57 AM
duddddeeeeee16 posted...

The whole thing. There's no such thing as being lukewarm. I believe anything considered sin is wrong. Do I hate people who don't? Not at all.

And when are you going to ask yourself, 'why is this thing that is called a sin being called a sin in the first place?'

I've been living this life for a few years now, and I haven't run into any of those "immoral" situations you're talking about. What exactly are you alluding to?

oh, I don't know...the fact that the Bible makes it clear that women are second class citizens that are supposed to be submissive to men, the fact that the Bible lists are series of offenses that make it perfectly acceptable to kill, the fact that the Bible makes it clear that the buying-and selling-of humans is alright...should I go on?

The fact of the matter is that most 'modern' Christians are like you: they either ignore or have not been exposed to rampant violence, intolerance and immorality in the Bible.

So the question is...are going to be 'lukewarm' and embrace this philosophy wholeheartedly or just look through and adhere to the things that sound pleasant and nice to you?

PS: The Bible speaks differently about slavery in the OT when referring to the Gentiles rather than the Jews (God's people). Within the NT, it's pretty clear it's not okay despite still being around.

Actually, in the NT it is considered okay because both Jesus and Peter tell slaves to honor and obey their masters. If they thought slavery was wrong, they should be telling them the opposite.
---
Poison Clan Rocks The World.
#326RebelElite791Posted 12/16/2012 1:27:36 AM
"We can't disprove what Christians believe"

Why is the concept of burden of proof so hard for so many zealots?
---
Rebel is pretty much a planet, pulling all sorts of moons and satellites his way, among them good, bad, foolish, trollish, and everything else - SeaArrKing
#327DarktylPosted 12/16/2012 1:37:39 AM
MC2011 posted...
Na, it's more like Muham- *jihad'd*

This
---
And then he ran into my knife... he ran into my knife ten times.
#328suksassPosted 12/16/2012 1:40:40 AM
Can I point out that Bible was writen by MEN based on what God told them.

I'm not suporting eather side as both sides have their crazies. But couldn't evolution be the answer to how and not the answer to why?
I prefer to combine both science and religion. Cause truth be told that makes more sence to me then any side alone.
#329RebelElite791Posted 12/16/2012 1:41:35 AM
suksass posted...
Can I point out that Bible was writen by MEN based on what God told them.

I'm not suporting eather side as both sides have their crazies. But couldn't evolution be the answer to how and not the answer to why?
I prefer to combine both science and religion. Cause truth be told that makes more sence to me then any side alone.

What god told them? No. It was written by men.

Science and religion together are perfectly fine, but I don't think it makes any more sense than just science. Religion isn't really based in "sense" for better or worse.
---
Rebel is pretty much a planet, pulling all sorts of moons and satellites his way, among them good, bad, foolish, trollish, and everything else - SeaArrKing
#330gametime74Posted 12/16/2012 11:21:48 AM
Final Legion posted...
gametime74 posted...

I think we're all well aware of this. Not a very revealing statement considering the driving force behind the science argument is appropriately named evolution.

If you're so aware of it, why did I have to tell you?

The long and the short of it is that neither you, me, or anybody else can completely disprove what Christians believe. We can scream how ridiculous some of it may be all we want, but the fact is, you don't have all the answers. There's really no reason to bust people's balls over what they believe....unless, of course, they're trying to shove their religion down your throat. I admittedly haven't read the entire thread.

I wasn't busting anything other than the absurd notion that religious belief equates to absolute fact. As far disproving anything goes, the point is moot. The onus is not on me to disprove anything but rather on the one who insists that what he has constitutes proof.

P.s. "brutally honest" is just an excuse to be an ass in most cases.

I've heard that before...mostly from people who prefer keeping their heads in the sand where the truth can't bother them.

Except you didn't have to tell me. I've understood that concept since I was a kid and realized Christianity is based on ancient texts. For whatever reason, you took it upon yourself to assume I wasn't aware and make a sophomoric observation.

And like I said, I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe it's not on you to disprove anything, but the point is that you can't. Same goes for you rebel elite with your condescending burden of proof comment. I agree with a lot of what you're both saying, but you sound like a douche who's so proud he was educated outside of high school. Congratulations, so was Rudy.

And if you're implying I keep my head in the sand then you're sorely mistaken. I can simply see your attitude for what it is.
---
can i haz recon plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz