Is worshiping Talos kind of like worshiping Jesus?

#41darkportal785Posted 12/12/2012 7:54:57 PM
The_Beer_Scotch posted...
darkportal785 posted...
airtamis posted...
darkportal785 posted...
Ertrick36 posted...
Look up to the skies and see

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy

Because I'm easy come, easy go, little high, little low

Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me

Mama... just killed a man

Put a gun against his head
---
"I am the Princess of the Night. Thus it is my duty to come into your dreams."
#42GlavewurmPosted 12/12/2012 8:03:01 PM
Coelarapaima posted...
Similarities:
Both fictional
Both worshiped by the stupid people in their respective games
both hated by elves, elves being the magic casting counter parts irl by a different name

differences:
one is arab
one is nord
one can destroy foes with his voice

And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. Rev 19:15

Depending on how you take that verse, the bolded part could be moved up.
---
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20120528.gif
#43darkportal785Posted 12/12/2012 8:04:33 PM
Jesus was Dragonborn, thus he really was the son of a God.
---
"I am the Princess of the Night. Thus it is my duty to come into your dreams."
#44The_Beer_ScotchPosted 12/12/2012 8:07:00 PM
Pulled my trigger now he's dead...
---
You can have her then. I like my boys and girls pure, sloppy seconds are for chumps. ~ Rikashi.
#45Nick_SabanPosted 12/12/2012 8:13:57 PM
ggrissom posted...
I mean they are both mere men that were held in such high regards and twisted, glorified perceptions by religious fanatics that they essentially became gods. Does that make the Thalmor essentially the Roman empire by wanting to snuff out Talos/Jesus worship?

Oh great, another "lets hate on Christians" thread on Gamefaqs...

Coelarapaima posted...
Similarities:
Both fictional

You really believe that Jesus Christ didn't exist?
---
Fat people in small amounts of clothing always makes me giggle.-SvenGeorgeson
Then you must have loads of fun looking in a mirror.-LegendaryElite
#46Arn544Posted 12/12/2012 8:15:35 PM
Wowww people are getting really offensive, 5 bucks says this thread will get deleted soon.

Anyway you talk about people blowing Talos out of proportion, when actually Talos 'did' become a god. The only reason the Aldmeri banned worship of him was because he was the one that destroyed them. So of course the elves aren't going to like him very much.

But the fact is you still recieve his blessing at his shrines, i believe the elderscrolls wiki explains it all but talos is a god.

As for the Jesus part you either believe it or you don't but there's no reason to take the kind of jabs at somebody's religion like people are in this thread.
#47Nick_SabanPosted 12/12/2012 8:18:45 PM
Arn544 posted...

As for the Jesus part you either believe it or you don't but there's no reason to take the kind of jabs at somebody's religion like people are in this thread.

this.
---
Fat people in small amounts of clothing always makes me giggle.-SvenGeorgeson
Then you must have loads of fun looking in a mirror.-LegendaryElite
#48Pueojit2Posted 12/12/2012 8:20:00 PM
no, jesus was both man and god at all times
talos was man who became a god
#49Darg727Posted 12/12/2012 8:20:42 PM
Ertrick36 posted...
Correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm not particularly a follower of Christianity.

From my understanding of Christian belief, Jesus isn't exactly like Talos. For one, Talos was at first a human and was turned into God. Jesus, on the other hand, was once the Son of God (God's second-in-command, who was an angel in heaven), then he made the ultimate sacrifice by becoming a man and being born into Earth as such. Jesus was then revered as a prophet until the Jewish people crucified him. But then he was resurrected. Even after death, however, Jesus never became a God, because there is only one God, and that is not Jesus Christ. Sometimes people revere Jesus as a God, when in the actual religious lore, Jesus does not have the supreme power of God. Sure, he does have special angelic abilities, but he does not have the omnipotence of God. If Jesus required any special assistance, he would need to ask God for such. Therefore, it is a mistake to revere Jesus as a God.

On the other hand, worshipping Jesus is very similar to worshipping Talos. Both were men, both were divine figures, and both did good things amongst humans. Both were very virtuous, and both died for the sins of Man (I think Talos did, anyway). However, Talos is revered as a "God amongst Men", which is very different from Jesus the "Messiah". Then, of course, there are the Jewish people who do not believe that Jesus was a Messiah at all, and the Messiah has yet to come. So, there you have two figures that both compliment and contrast each other. Thus, worshipping one is more-or-less like worshipping the other...

Definitely not traditional catholic/orthodox/protestant. In those I can't speak for orthodox but Jesus is the son of God and is God in the holy trinity of Father, Son and Holy Ghost/Spirit. Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and many others also believe in widely differing ideals from each other.

With so many different views on who Jesus was, a specification is in order.
#50LetsMakeDubstepPosted 12/12/2012 8:21:07 PM
deadpool223 posted...
agentspoon posted...
agentspoon posted...
Hello? Yes this is dog.

dog backwards is god.

Is this real life?

Or is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality....

duuuuust in the wiiiind, aaallll we are is duuust in the wiiind

Literally changed the reference twice...
---
http://youtu.be/ULdPGWdn8b4 http://youtu.be/QvyPeo7qAF8
Your Local Bass Case