Is worshiping Talos kind of like worshiping Jesus?

#61Darg727Posted 12/12/2012 7:57:52 PM
The_Beer_Scotch posted...
Nick_Saban posted...
ggrissom posted...
I mean they are both mere men that were held in such high regards and twisted, glorified perceptions by religious fanatics that they essentially became gods. Does that make the Thalmor essentially the Roman empire by wanting to snuff out Talos/Jesus worship?

Oh great, another "lets hate on Christians" thread on Gamefaqs...

Coelarapaima posted...
Similarities:
Both fictional

You really believe that Jesus Christ didn't exist?

I really do believe he did not exist. I have never heard of any proof, outside of books writting hundreds of years after his supposed death.

The most important books of the New Testament were written within decades of his death.

On another note...Missing books of the bible dun dun duuuuuh.
#62TwStedPrinCePosted 12/12/2012 7:59:09 PM
Pulled my trigger now he's dead...

Mama, life had just begun
But now I've gone and thrown it all away
---
PSN - TwistedPrince
#63Final LegionPosted 12/12/2012 7:59:30 PM
Nick_Saban posted...

I really do believe he did not exist. I have never heard of any proof, outside of books writting hundreds of years after his supposed death.

The same could be said about thousands of other people in history.

There are two major difference, though, between Jesus and those thousands of others: contemporary corroborative sources and direct physical evidence. It's like this...believing in the existence of Jesus requires vastly more faith than, say, believing in the existence of people like Lincoln or Einstein.

Of course, that's not to say Jesus didn't exist, but rather an explanation why many people are skeptical of his existence.
---
Poison Clan Rocks The World.
#64Kou-NurasakaPosted 12/12/2012 8:07:03 PM
hellslinger posted...
Correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm not particularly a follower of Christianity.

From my understanding of Christian belief, Jesus isn't exactly like Talos. For one, Talos was at first a human and was turned into God. Jesus, on the other hand, was once the Son of God (God's second-in-command, who was an angel in heaven), then he made the ultimate sacrifice by becoming a man and being born into Earth as such. Jesus was then revered as a prophet until the Jewish people crucified him. But then he was resurrected. Even after death, however, Jesus never became a God, because there is only one God, and that is not Jesus Christ. Sometimes people revere Jesus as a God, when in the actual religious lore, Jesus does not have the supreme power of God. Sure, he does have special angelic abilities, but he does not have the omnipotence of God. If Jesus required any special assistance, he would need to ask God for such. Therefore, it is a mistake to revere Jesus as a God.

On the other hand, worshipping Jesus is very similar to worshipping Talos. Both were men, both were divine figures, and both did good things amongst humans. Both were very virtuous, and both died for the sins of Man (I think Talos did, anyway). However, Talos is revered as a "God amongst Men", which is very different from Jesus the "Messiah". Then, of course, there are the Jewish people who do not believe that Jesus was a Messiah at all, and the Messiah has yet to come. So, there you have two figures that both compliment and contrast each other. Thus, worshipping one is more-or-less like worshipping the other...

You're pretty much right.

The only thing you are really incorrect about (at least by Christianity) is that Jesus is technically God. The idea of the Holy Trinity basically states that God is in effect, God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. He is all three of them at the same time. It's a clever way for Christians to get around monotheism.

Just saying, TES religion makes far more sense than any real world religion. When the Avatar of Akatosh bursts forth and literally breaths fire on a deadric prince.... that is the evidence of gods at work.
#65matteus70Posted 12/12/2012 8:13:43 PM
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
hellslinger posted...
Correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm not particularly a follower of Christianity.

From my understanding of Christian belief, Jesus isn't exactly like Talos. For one, Talos was at first a human and was turned into God. Jesus, on the other hand, was once the Son of God (God's second-in-command, who was an angel in heaven), then he made the ultimate sacrifice by becoming a man and being born into Earth as such. Jesus was then revered as a prophet until the Jewish people crucified him. But then he was resurrected. Even after death, however, Jesus never became a God, because there is only one God, and that is not Jesus Christ. Sometimes people revere Jesus as a God, when in the actual religious lore, Jesus does not have the supreme power of God. Sure, he does have special angelic abilities, but he does not have the omnipotence of God. If Jesus required any special assistance, he would need to ask God for such. Therefore, it is a mistake to revere Jesus as a God.

On the other hand, worshipping Jesus is very similar to worshipping Talos. Both were men, both were divine figures, and both did good things amongst humans. Both were very virtuous, and both died for the sins of Man (I think Talos did, anyway). However, Talos is revered as a "God amongst Men", which is very different from Jesus the "Messiah". Then, of course, there are the Jewish people who do not believe that Jesus was a Messiah at all, and the Messiah has yet to come. So, there you have two figures that both compliment and contrast each other. Thus, worshipping one is more-or-less like worshipping the other...

You're pretty much right.

The only thing you are really incorrect about (at least by Christianity) is that Jesus is technically God. The idea of the Holy Trinity basically states that God is in effect, God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. He is all three of them at the same time. It's a clever way for Christians to get around monotheism.

Just saying, TES religion makes far more sense than any real world religion. When the Avatar of Akatosh bursts forth and literally breaths fire on a deadric prince.... that is the evidence of gods at work.

That's why its called fantasy.
---
"Just keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn."-King
#66Kou-NurasakaPosted 12/12/2012 8:13:55 PM
Bardockpwnsjoo posted...
I'm making fun of Christians! Am I cool and edgy and smart now?

I beleive that the only way to true salvation is by following Christianity. It is the correct way to live, despite the fact that 99% of my fellow worshipers don't know that is a literal sin for a man to shave his beard or to be around a woman during her period.

Why won't everyone accept me and my kooky bronze age beleifs?
#67Kou-NurasakaPosted 12/12/2012 8:15:25 PM
matteus70 posted...

That's why its called fantasy.

Religion or TES?
#68Darg727Posted 12/12/2012 8:18:05 PM
Final Legion posted...
Nick_Saban posted...

The same could be said about thousands of other people in history.

There are two major difference, though, between Jesus and those thousands of others: contemporary corroborative sources and direct physical evidence. It's like this...believing in the existence of Jesus requires vastly more faith than, say, believing in the existence of people like Lincoln or Einstein.

Of course, that's not to say Jesus didn't exist, but rather an explanation why many people are skeptical of his existence.

Talos has readily available history and texts in game while Jesus has only one true history book. With only one source about him it can be hard to the accept the angle of history written within. Lack of proof doesn't mean he didn't exist and vise versa. The same could be said about evolution, it has to be taken on faith as there is no actually proof just highly incomplete fossil groups.
#69Nick_SabanPosted 12/12/2012 8:32:53 PM
Kou-Nurasaka posted...

It only seems to make more sense because Elder Scrolls religions were created in a fictional universe where God's actively make their presence known.
---
Fat people in small amounts of clothing always makes me giggle.-SvenGeorgeson
Then you must have loads of fun looking in a mirror.-LegendaryElite
#70Mr_FeeshPosted 12/12/2012 8:33:21 PM
hello 500 replies
---
NAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAK