What, exactly, is wrong with casual gamers?

#1gunsndrosesPosted 12/13/2012 11:57:05 AM
I noticed in many different forums and places of discussion that there seems to be a general hatred toward "casual" gamers.

I can't for the life of me understand why.

What is wrong about having commitments other than video games? I enjoy video games as much as anybody, and I mean no disrespect to "hardcore" gamers. But I find it ridiculous that some people view casuals as the "bane" of the video game industry.

Skyrim is as hardcore as anybody wants to make it. It can be simplistic or it can be labyrinthine; I do not understand why it is bad that companies are catering to casual players. They're people too, and gamers, as well.

I actually found it hilarious that people who play sports games are looked down upon. As if there's something wrong with playing Madden.
---
I think, therefore I am
#2TheBestFallerPosted 12/13/2012 12:01:50 PM
"Casual Gamer" is a term invented to make one feel superior about oneself, it's just another thinly veiled way of stating I'm better than you."
---
I store dead bodies all up under my house and every night I hear them runnin' they mouths.
#3pauljc1Posted 12/13/2012 12:04:08 PM
Simple. Casual gamers, almost by definition, aren't as dedicated to the hobby as more traditional gamers. So the more traditional gamers get very annoyed when companies debauch their product to cater to people who don't value that product as highly. Plus, most "casual" games like Facebook games and the like have a reputation of nickle-and-diming people.

It's not really the casual gamers' problem, it's the game companies trying to chase that sweet, sweet Farmville money.
#4OpShaftPosted 12/13/2012 12:06:16 PM
I'm mostly casual. I play tons of games using most of my time, but I don't go hardcore on any game in particular. Usually just finish it and move on.

With skyrim I play multiple characters, but I don't go crazy with smithing, enchanting, alchemy or anything. Just get things done.

I love being casual, there's so much freedom.
---
You ain't too little to get dat ass whooped.
#5NathypantsPosted 12/13/2012 12:07:01 PM
The majority of people aren't "hardcore" and companies wish to make profit. they turn to the "casual" fanbase and make products that cater to their interests, taking away from the "hardcore" fans.

That and a lot of casual gamers are kinda ewwy people.
---
~If you sprinkle when you tinkle~
~Be a sweetie and wipe the seaty~
#6suksassPosted 12/13/2012 12:08:48 PM
TheBestFaller posted...
"Casual Gamer" is a term invented to make one feel superior about oneself, it's just another thinly veiled way of stating I'm better than you."

This + the fact that unless you going for every achievment,ending playghtrough from different points of view you are usualy labeled as casual player by thouse who do all that stuff.
#7simonbelmont2Posted 12/13/2012 12:09:01 PM
Some hardcore gamers have delusions of grandeur. They act all elitist towards casual gamers who don't play the way they do. Casual gamers also get a bad rep because devs often target games towards them and make games easier to draw them in. That is not the casual gamers fault though.

There are obnoxious gamers on both sides to be honest.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#8RampagingwalrusPosted 12/13/2012 12:11:38 PM
The majority of gamers are mid 30's, with jobs, families, and other temporal obligations.
So they can only play game "casually" as opposed to... uh... hardcore? I guess?
Nothing is wrong with casual gamers, or even casual games.
People just need something to complain about, and somebody to blame.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#9obishawnPosted 12/13/2012 12:13:35 PM
Developers water down games so that they appeal to a broader demographic, this leaves traditional gamers with lesser quality games. Yeah, there's gonna be animosity.
---
Winter is coming
#10MC2011Posted 12/13/2012 12:15:26 PM
Games be too easy, yo.

If you actually think Dark Souls was challenging, then lol.
---
May God have mercy on your soul... - The Preacher
Because I sure as hell won't. - The Gunslinger