What, exactly, is wrong with casual gamers?

#121DahlVaughnniPosted 12/13/2012 5:54:18 PM
There's nothing wrong with casual gamers themselves. If they don't want to dedicate their lives to games, that's their choice. The problem is the game companies who ruin series' to broaden their audiences.
---
Gamertag: Archlvt (I no longer have XBL Gold)
3DS FC: 4296 3610 2207
#122AkujatuPosted 12/13/2012 5:57:15 PM
namewitheld posted...
Akujatu posted...
namewitheld posted...
Akujatu posted...
j4ckkn1fe posted...
If you play Skyrim after you beat the main quest and all guilds. You're a casual gamer.....you can't be a hardcore gamer from playing this. Morrowind on the other hand was totally different. Now these days there are no hardcore games on console. All hardcore gamers moved to PC.

That basically sums it up. Well said. Now I don't have to say it.

See to me (buying in to this briefly) the ONLY difference between a casual and hardcore player is the ammount of time they play.

I beat Morrowind at the time...it was the first EVER 3d open world western rpg, there was NO standard to judge it by other than AWESOME! but retrospectively the game had funky mechanics that made some things (principally navigation and knowing wtf you were doing) a chore. I dont consider myself hardcore (at all in any sense) for completing the game but if I did it would be because I spent about 200 hours doing so not because it was...badly designed.

Only 200 huh? Well that is pretty hardcore.

I suspect youre being sarcastic but Im going to cover both bases anyway.

Answer 1 :
200 hours is a **** load of time to play a game.

Answer 2:
Depends on what value you personally apply to the nuanced air vibrations we call the word 'hardcore'

I was indeed being sarcastic. Also, 200 hours can apply in many ways. In no way is it a **** load of time to play any game, when most of you people apply that logic to 15 characters in said game. I just assume that though, as 90% of the " Hardcore look at my time " players I see apply the time to numerous playthroughs, and not a single character, and I really just don't find that "Hardcore".
#123j4ckkn1fePosted 12/13/2012 5:58:16 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
Is this jackknife clown trolling?

"a game is hardcore if you have to use cookie cutter builds or you can do speedruns"?

Lolwat?

I was giving examples of what hardcore gamers did back then and differences to skyrim. There is nothing hardcore gamers can do in skyrim absolutely nothing besides a naked run on master I guess but that holds true for any game. Morrowind was hardcore because it catered to the hardcore audience. There is a reason why 80% of the time when Morrowind is brought up on the skyrim board that everyone says its ****. The skyrim board is home to casuals that disliked the game because you had to read quests ZOMG and miss attacks the first couple lvls.....I can tell you that Morrowind is not **** far from it at least in its time now although I would have to say looking back it was above average.
#124Ertrick36Posted 12/13/2012 6:04:39 PM
The problem doesn't lie with casual gamers so much as casual games. My whole family (apart from my brother and sister), my friends, and many others I know are casual gamers. To hate on every single casual gamer, I have to completely dissociate myself from the rest of society. So no, there is nothing wrong with casual gamers. Casual games, on the other hand...

Casual games lack an attaching factor that I love so much in games. They have the same addictive formula that other games do, but I can't even come close to loving them the way I love the games I play. One thing I certainly take notice is that "hardcore games" tend to have a gripping, definitive story. You take a single glance at a game such as Halo or the Elder Scrolls and you'll know right away that you are in for an interactive story that can compare to the equivalent of a film or novel. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll scream, you'll cheer... and it all will have meaning. But pull up a game like Angry Birds, and you'll see a mockery of storytelling. Alas, there is little plot, and thus it loses a ton of its impact on me. You could tell me to go watch some f***ing films, but I love the interactivity of games (ever since I was a little boy playing the Legend of Zelda). Casual games are pretty much the equivalent of games in the 70's and 80's, except you have much more accessibility to it and you can save your progress and compare your scores with others more easily. Casual games are truly the definitive "mindless games" that anti-game people think all video games are. I know that casual games were meant to be on-the-go, but I just don't buy into that crap. I prefer to play something truly thrilling and meaningful, and that's pretty much what defines a "hardcore game" for me.

So please, don't think I hate casual gamers. Just know that I don't really much like the games they play...
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#125AkujatuPosted 12/13/2012 6:07:02 PM
Ertrick36 posted...
The problem doesn't lie with casual gamers so much as casual games. My whole family (apart from my brother and sister), my friends, and many others I know are casual gamers. To hate on every single casual gamer, I have to completely dissociate myself from the rest of society. So no, there is nothing wrong with casual gamers. Casual games, on the other hand...

Casual games lack an attaching factor that I love so much in games. They have the same addictive formula that other games do, but I can't even come close to loving them the way I love the games I play. One thing I certainly take notice is that "hardcore games" tend to have a gripping, definitive story. You take a single glance at a game such as Halo or the Elder Scrolls and you'll know right away that you are in for an interactive story that can compare to the equivalent of a film or novel. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll scream, you'll cheer... and it all will have meaning. But pull up a game like Angry Birds, and you'll see a mockery of storytelling. Alas, there is little plot, and thus it loses a ton of its impact on me. You could tell me to go watch some f***ing films, but I love the interactivity of games (ever since I was a little boy playing the Legend of Zelda). Casual games are pretty much the equivalent of games in the 70's and 80's, except you have much more accessibility to it and you can save your progress and compare your scores with others more easily. Casual games are truly the definitive "mindless games" that anti-game people think all video games are. I know that casual games were meant to be on-the-go, but I just don't buy into that crap. I prefer to play something truly thrilling and meaningful, and that's pretty much what defines a "hardcore game" for me.

So please, don't think I hate casual gamers. Just know that I don't really much like the games they play...

You believe that Halo and TES are similar in depth and backstory? Or just picking two popular titles?
#126grumpysmurf011Posted 12/13/2012 6:10:27 PM
i'd like to get to the root of the original poster's question.
i understand that people enjoy their games - for whatever their own reasons are - but, i'd like to hear the differences and the opinions from both sides, as to why "hardcore", and "casual" are worlds apart.
---
Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies.-Starscream
#127Fate_AssassinPosted 12/13/2012 6:11:18 PM
j4ckkn1fe posted...
RebelElite791 posted...
Is this jackknife clown trolling?

"a game is hardcore if you have to use cookie cutter builds or you can do speedruns"?

Lolwat?

I was giving examples of what hardcore gamers did back then and differences to skyrim. There is nothing hardcore gamers can do in skyrim absolutely nothing besides a naked run on master I guess but that holds true for any game. Morrowind was hardcore because it catered to the hardcore audience. There is a reason why 80% of the time when Morrowind is brought up on the skyrim board that everyone says its ****. The skyrim board is home to casuals that disliked the game because you had to read quests ZOMG and miss attacks the first couple lvls.....I can tell you that Morrowind is not **** far from it at least in its time now although I would have to say looking back it was above average.

There is plenty of things for a "hardcore" gamer to. They just have to use their brains now. If you want have a "hardcore" mode do it yourself. "Hardcore" gamers say that they don't like how games were "dumb down" and have restrictions removed from them. Well you can make them yourself. People b***h about fast travel and no guild restrictions well no one is forcing you to use fast travel, and no one is forcing you to do everything in the game.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
1/14/2013, shipment date
#128johnnycigarPosted 12/13/2012 6:15:43 PM
Rampagingwalrus posted...
The majority of gamers are mid 30's, with jobs, families, and other temporal obligations.
So they can only play game "casually" as opposed to... uh... hardcore? I guess?
Nothing is wrong with casual gamers, or even casual games.
People just need something to complain about, and somebody to blame.

Hit the nail on the head. If it makes me 'casual' because I care about my kids more than Call of Duty, then I guess I'm 'casual'.

But make no mistake to all you junior high wannabe's. I was gaming when gaming was all text. Imagine that, you GRAAFFIXX fiends. You actually had to be literate and READ to play video games.
#129dylmeisterPosted 12/13/2012 6:17:05 PM
There is nothing that defines someone as a hardcore gamer. Why would a company not cater to the masses when it brings them their profits which allows them to compete against other companies which in turn causes competition which leads to better games.

There is not a sole definition for a casual gamer either as once again that is purely opinion based.
#130JustThink1stPosted 12/13/2012 6:18:56 PM
Just clarifying that the term "hardcore gamer" itself is not clearly defined. It was pretty much coined by fps fans who spent way too much time playing endless online matches. It was a defense mechanism. Hardcore gamer sounds way better then "socially inept loser". It was then borrowed by anyone who spent way too much time playing games. Anyone who genuinely enjoyed a game in reasonably spread out time periods with other healthy interests
has no reason to defend or label themselves. Anyone who feels the gaming market caters to casuals is an idiot. When games like Bioshock, Dues Ex, Portal, Braid and Limbo (among many others) are being produced at an unprecedented rate. Yes some games are made for people with no taste, so what. When a game is streamlined and cleaned up it doesn't make it less hardcore, it makes people who put 300 hours slogging through its earlier and unrefined iterations feel empty inside...oh wait, no...they're hardcore.
---
"I'm not scared...I'm singing. My screaming song."
"You're a total wuss."