What, exactly, is wrong with casual gamers?

#151Ajd_KingPosted 12/13/2012 8:08:20 PM
gunsndroses posted...
Character customization, gigantic world, *beautiful* world, tons of quests, to name a few.

Character customisation is fairly limited. You get to pick outfits, weapons, and choose a race. You can do the same in WoW, and I doubt that'd be considered "profound" in it's depth.

Gigantic and beautiful world is something the game excels at, so I'd agree with that.

Tonnes of quests just equates to lots of content. That doesn't make that content deep or meaningful. Most are barebones fetch quests with minimal character involvement, lacking in any good writing. There are exceptions, but not many.

Questing is probably a big factor in the whole "deep as a puddle, wide as an ocean" thing.
#152Flow_149Posted 12/13/2012 8:10:20 PM
dj4242 posted...
MC2011 posted...
Games be too easy, yo.

If you actually think Dark Souls was challenging, then lol.

Dark Souls happens to be the hardest game I have played. Mostly it is because I do not have the patience to counter nearly every single attack and study every enemies movement pattern.

Ah that's it. Dark Souls really isn't as hard as it's made out to be, but if you charge into a pack of enemies you're going to get your butt kicked. You just need a little patience. Enemies have very predictable attack patterns and once you know them it's very easy to punish or alternatively you could just stun lock them to death :P
#153grumpysmurf011Posted 12/13/2012 8:10:40 PM
i'd like to know - not to antagonize, out of curiosity - how old are the folks posting? i'm 34.
---
Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies.-Starscream
#154AkujatuPosted 12/13/2012 8:11:59 PM
j4ckkn1fe posted...
Akujatu posted...
gunsndroses posted...

I actually don't blame the companies. If "casuals" want to get in on these great franchises, then they should be able to.

I agree with all of what you said, minus this quoted bit.

I don't think in any way, that it is fair for any sort of dumbing down / nerfing / tweaking / balancing should be happening outside of MMO's or games that are truly based around being around others, or being competitive.

How is it fair that 80% of the player-base should suffer discomfort in-game because of an extremely minute percentage of players?

I agree! However, that was not how it was with older games. All the competitive games have moved to PC which saddens me. I grew up with a console instead of windows 95...

They need to stop with the intermixing of genres. This entire money-grab system they have going on is killing it for me. I really don't want to have to go out in 2014+ and buy the next ES, and have it be a mixture of Borderlands and Fallout, all because "Well this is what the casuals want, so let's give it to them, the diehards will buy it regardless."

I am also sick and tired of paying for removed content. Just wait for it, the next DLC, or the last, will contain some sort of skill tree that was removed during development so they could profit year or two out. All of this falls into the same category, profiting by drawing the lesser of the two groups in.
#155gunsndroses(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 8:13:01 PM
Ajd_King posted...
gunsndroses posted...
Character customization, gigantic world, *beautiful* world, tons of quests, to name a few.

Character customisation is fairly limited. You get to pick outfits, weapons, and choose a race. You can do the same in WoW, and I doubt that'd be considered "profound" in it's depth.

The term profound was understood to apply to the game, not this specific instance.

Character customization allows you to alter your character's appearance at the beginning. There are many outfits, and many races to choose from. Even with all this, vampirism even alters your appearance, for example.

I don't know how much more in-depth you would want it to go, really.
---
I think, therefore I am
#156dj4242Posted 12/13/2012 8:13:56 PM
grumpysmurf011 posted...
i'd like to know - not to antagonize, out of curiosity - how old are the folks posting? i'm 34.

---
#FreeTimTebow
Vikings and Pacers fan
#157oxnerdPosted 12/13/2012 8:15:20 PM
I consider myself the casual gamer and yet I play for hours a day, if not gaming then I'm on the internet. I guess you're only "hardcore" if you're screaming in a mic like tard.
#158AkujatuPosted 12/13/2012 8:15:29 PM
gunsndroses posted...
Ajd_King posted...
gunsndroses posted...

The term profound was understood to apply to the game, not this specific instance.

Character customization allows you to alter your character's appearance at the beginning. There are many outfits, and many races to choose from. Even with all this, vampirism even alters your appearance, for example.

You'd be surprised at how far people want it to go.

There was a thread that got out of hand over at the Beth forums, because someone went on a rant about Bethesda not implementing the ability to be Transgender (Nothing wrong with that of course). The sense of entitlement in certain aspects that either group has (Hardcore/Casual), is beyond ridiculous.
#159dylmeisterPosted 12/13/2012 8:16:46 PM
it is strange to see people continuing to argue over opinions. People can not prove who is "casual" or who is "hardcore" they are both perspective. Thought provoking discussion is one thing but this battle of opinions is hilarious.
#160Ajd_KingPosted 12/13/2012 8:17:47 PM
gunsndroses posted...

Reputation, dialogue choices, multiple ways to interact with the world and complete quests. Those features allow you to customise your character in a way that could be considered 'deep'. As opposed to picking a skin and what clothes you want to wear.

And I'm assuming you've changed your mind on quests being deep.