What, exactly, is wrong with casual gamers?

#161dylmeisterPosted 12/13/2012 8:19:39 PM
obishawn posted...
Developers water down games so that they appeal to a broader demographic, this leaves traditional gamers with lesser quality games. Yeah, there's gonna be animosity.

This is an opinion. What seems "watered down" to some is more efficient to others. Some believe that inputting numbers into statistics mean that they have a greater sense of character development while others see that as mundane and unnecessary. I personally like the idea of play how you want and the character develops to your style.

Traditional is undefined as well, what you see as traditional I may see as something else entirely.
#162Fate_AssassinPosted 12/13/2012 8:19:50 PM
dylmeister posted...
it is strange to see people continuing to argue over opinions. People can not prove who is "casual" or who is "hardcore" they are both perspective. Thought provoking discussion is one thing but this battle of opinions is hilarious.

It isn't too out of hand. If you want to see a battle look up any of the Stormcloak vs Empire debates.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
1/14/2013, shipment date
#163Flow_149Posted 12/13/2012 8:20:14 PM
gunsndroses posted...
Ajd_King posted...
gunsndroses posted...
Character customization, gigantic world, *beautiful* world, tons of quests, to name a few.

Character customisation is fairly limited. You get to pick outfits, weapons, and choose a race. You can do the same in WoW, and I doubt that'd be considered "profound" in it's depth.

The term profound was understood to apply to the game, not this specific instance.

Character customization allows you to alter your character's appearance at the beginning. There are many outfits, and many races to choose from. Even with all this, vampirism even alters your appearance, for example.

I don't know how much more in-depth you would want it to go, really.

I guess, however character customization could actually be considered to be quite limited compared to some others games, granted there's a lot of options but they don't really affect your characters appearance. And although Vampirism does change your appearance it has almost no bearing on character and faction relationships other then a temporary penalty that can be changed with a snap. I enjoy Skyrim but the stuff you mentioned doesn't really add to a games complexity in just adds more fluff.
#164XekuPosted 12/13/2012 8:37:30 PM
Flow_149 posted...
gunsndroses posted...
Ajd_King posted...
gunsndroses posted...
Character customization, gigantic world, *beautiful* world, tons of quests, to name a few.

Character customisation is fairly limited. You get to pick outfits, weapons, and choose a race. You can do the same in WoW, and I doubt that'd be considered "profound" in it's depth.

The term profound was understood to apply to the game, not this specific instance.

Character customization allows you to alter your character's appearance at the beginning. There are many outfits, and many races to choose from. Even with all this, vampirism even alters your appearance, for example.

I don't know how much more in-depth you would want it to go, really.

I guess, however character customization could actually be considered to be quite limited compared to some others games, granted there's a lot of options but they don't really affect your characters appearance. And although Vampirism does change your appearance it has almost no bearing on character and faction relationships other then a temporary penalty that can be changed with a snap. I enjoy Skyrim but the stuff you mentioned doesn't really add to a games complexity in just adds more fluff.

Agree - it's pretty tame by today's standards (compare it to the Saint's Row series or Dragon's Dogma, for example).
#165odcrl001Posted 12/13/2012 9:07:18 PM
There are no such thing as casual gamers. Either you like games or you don't.

I don't believe in that whole "I'm old now with responsibilities crap".

I'm 30 and still play games like crazy. I have a fiancee, we live together in the same house and have a job AND responsibilities.

Sure it's not like before that I owned 3 or 2 game systems, or that I didn't go to college to be there at 9am to get the game I per-ordered; but I still feel the same about games. I just love them so much that that's what I decided to do with my leisure time. It sure helps a LOT that we don't have kids.
---
GT: GalahadHK
#166johnnycigarPosted 12/13/2012 9:16:17 PM
Akujatu posted...
johnnycigar posted...
Rampagingwalrus posted...
The majority of gamers are mid 30's, with jobs, families, and other temporal obligations.
So they can only play game "casually" as opposed to... uh... hardcore? I guess?
Nothing is wrong with casual gamers, or even casual games.
People just need something to complain about, and somebody to blame.

Hit the nail on the head. If it makes me 'casual' because I care about my kids more than Call of Duty, then I guess I'm 'casual'.

But make no mistake to all you junior high wannabe's. I was gaming when gaming was all text. Imagine that, you GRAAFFIXX fiends. You actually had to be literate and READ to play video games.

I think this post is a great indication of how most casual gamers act, period. "LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A JOB, I HAVE KIDS, I CHOSE TO DO THESE THINGS, YOU WASTE YOUR LIVES AWAY DAILY".

Not every person on this planet HAS to work. Not everyone runs out to have a child at the age of 16. Don't use your children as a scapegoat for what you choose to classify yourself as.

I know plenty of people with children, across all age groups, and many can afford to put in 8-10 hours easily while working 4-5 days a week, per day, to play games. I can't stand people that instantly scapegoat their kids as a reason for their play-style/skills, or lack thereof.

This post reeks of ignorance. Luckily for you, ignorance is treatable.
#167Snazzy21Posted 12/13/2012 9:18:03 PM
MC2011 posted...
Games be too easy, yo.

If you actually think Dark Souls was challenging, then lol.

QFT Dark Souls is not as hard as people think. Try playing Ninja Gaiden on NES, or the remakes on the hardest difficulty if you want a challenge. Dark Souls was a mild challenge at best.
#168YoungGganonPosted 12/13/2012 9:46:02 PM
A lot of people get "casual" confused with people who just happen to play games. I always though of casual gamers as gamers with other obligations, where as hardcore gamers are the type of people who can put a good chunk of their lives into games. I think a lot of people refer to the "casual gamer" in a derogatory sense mostly because they're thinking of the people who play CoD and Farmville (probably poor examples that will upset someone but whatever).

My point is, game companies try to sell games towards the people who play Facebook games and FPS when they have absolutely nothing else to do. Gamers just have nothing else better to call them, despite them not really being a casual gamer by definition.
---
(Now playing Dead Island, Vanquish, and PSASBR Beta)
#169Devil_wings00Posted 12/13/2012 10:04:39 PM
Nothing other then people aren't able to wrap there head around the fact that games are a multibillion dollar industry now and not some niche thing that they think made them unique and special back in the day. Popularity has it's down sides and people can point to the things that more "casual" players have caused to happen in the gaming industry. That said, I don't begrudge people who like to game on occasion but don't necessarily live and breath it. Heck I AM CASUAL. I play quite few games but I also read, watch movies, TV, go to work, hang out with friends and try and convince a women or two to sleep with me if I can lol If I am the anathema the gaming world for working video games into my life, as one of the things I do to blow off steam, then I can truly say all you "hardcore" people can go f*** right off.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#170PokeLord473Posted 12/13/2012 10:15:08 PM
Absolutely nothing. In fact, they are the only ones stopping the gaming industry from sinking into the abyss. Hardcore gamers just aren't enough to keep a lot of these devs in business.
---
"Am I missing an eyebrow?"