What, exactly, is wrong with casual gamers?

#171The_Third_SunPosted 12/13/2012 10:19:54 PM
wow so many messages posted..whew!...anyway my take on this whole issue is there are two kinds of people..those who are "Hardcore" and those that are "Casual". Now the tough part is defining what do they mean since time as well as type of game go into it in equal amounts so lets take a good look at them both. Ok here we go...

Hardcore-You are passionate..you play your heart out..you make sure everything is done..complete..from missions and quests to obtaining every outfit/weapon/item to playing every character type(RPG)...every trophy/ achievement has been gotten everything possible there is to do has been done and you almost cry from the pure bliss of reaching the end or platinum/max achievements(sorry not sure what to call it) knowing you played your ass off to get there...Skyrim, Dark Souls and any game that takes time to really finish goes here.

Casual- Pretty much the opposite of what i just said lol..no seriously casual is those who play every now and then..they arn't too worried about trophies/achievements or playing every square inch of it...they like it but don't have the same passion for it like hardcore gamers do..sports games, Wii games, Facebook games, Call Of Duty(yawn) goes here.

now that's pretty much a very good definition right..now there is a mixture of both..Hardcore gamers who play like Casual gamers because of life(school, work, marriage, kids etc..) but still find time to be Hardcore and Casual gamers who actually play hard enough to complete what ever games they occasionally play......so that's about it i think.
---
"bubbles in sunshine, bubbles in rain...bubbles in sunshine, bubbles in rain!"
#172SkytheWiz1Posted 12/13/2012 10:25:51 PM
Casual gamers are people that only have a small amount of time to play video games for entertainment. They typically don't want games that require a lot of time consumption and avoid games that they feel are overly complicated, because they don't want to use up what little spare time they have just trying to figure out the basics.

Developers, trying to always allow easy access for casual gamers, will try to over-simplify their games to get a more diverse market and get higher sales.

It benefits those who don't have much time, but it usually alienates fans who were expecting game to be further developed using previous techniques, as opposed to simplified ones.

I'd consider this a rather accurate take, as I could've been considered both at different times.
---
Pretend there are awe-inspiring lyrics
or oh-so-hilarious quotations here, please.
#173MaeburePosted 12/13/2012 10:32:25 PM
Rutabaga
---
Reading is good. It improves your vocabulary, expands your imagination and provides endless amounts of information.
#174Danger_ClosePosted 12/13/2012 11:08:25 PM
everything is wrong with casual gamers
motherf****ing goddamn scum
---
You must defeat me to stand a chance!
#175RaiderX12Posted 12/13/2012 11:11:29 PM
Casual games and gamers are keeping the industry alive. Whatever cool hardcore title you enjoy will sell 200k copies and net almost no profit, while casual games and gamers make up like 80% of the industry's sales.
#176MaeburePosted 12/13/2012 11:11:43 PM
HARDCORE RAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!
---
Reading is good. It improves your vocabulary, expands your imagination and provides endless amounts of information.
#177Lan915Posted 12/14/2012 12:12:09 AM
Back then it was considered nerdy or uncool to use the internet, but then myspace came out and bam! Everyone uses the internet. It's the same thing with video games, farmville came out and bam! Everyone (casuals) plays video games.

Oh and here's the shocking truth for anyone who's deciding to get married: Today's hardcore gamers are tomorrow's casual gamers.
#178Soul_On_DisplayPosted 12/14/2012 2:39:05 AM
pauljc1 posted...
Simple. Casual gamers, almost by definition, aren't as dedicated to the hobby as more traditional gamers. So the more traditional gamers get very annoyed when companies debauch their product to cater to people who don't value that product as highly. Plus, most "casual" games like Facebook games and the like have a reputation of nickle-and-diming people.

It's not really the casual gamers' problem, it's the game companies trying to chase that sweet, sweet Farmville money.

---
Xbox Live: Eighth Element || PSN: Echo_Resonance
~TL;DR? Don't care.~
#179ninji_Posted 12/14/2012 3:03:58 AM
Soul_On_Display posted...
pauljc1 posted...
Simple. Casual gamers, almost by definition, aren't as dedicated to the hobby as more traditional gamers. So the more traditional gamers get very annoyed when companies debauch their product to cater to people who don't value that product as highly. Plus, most "casual" games like Facebook games and the like have a reputation of nickle-and-diming people.

It's not really the casual gamers' problem, it's the game companies trying to chase that sweet, sweet Farmville money.

I agree with this sentiment. The hard fact is that Game company's are 'businesses' [shocker there right?] and as businesses they go for the best model to increase their profit. Well, why go for games that give people challenge when a few other game companies make easier cookiecutter hand-holder 5 hour long games and get 60$ a disk/download and much more sales than you and you just spent a multitude worth of time/energy/labor and get the same thing. It doesn't make sense in a business model.

I am not arguing 'for' the 'casual' gamers, I am arguing against. To me they are a infectious disease, they want to play the 'hard' (Hardest) difficulty level without learning the game style or the ins and outs and then complain that the game is too hard... Look at DSP and his Dark Souls play-through on youtube as a keen example.

I say that game company's should chase after that money and make a "Easy/Casual" Mode, like for instance Fire Emblem: Awakening, as long as they keep the "Normal" and "Hard" mode the same.

Though some people would say that this will take even more time to implement and games will come out slower, this is the problem with today's day and age. Its all about gimmy now, and gimmy quickly or you suck and if ain't flashy and doesn't have flare and explosions its worthless and you should feel bad because it isnt what 'I' wanted! Which leads to my earlier statement, calling the casual gamer an infectious disease.

In general when I think of casuals, I think of people that refuse to learn and continue to mash the "A" or whatever convenient attack button that happens to be on their platform, they may pop a few potions here or there to 'think' they are in a engaging fight or heal once or twice and yet they either play on the easiest difficulty or use 'exploits' such as the resto/smith/alch/ench bug to gain obscene stats then claim to be legit because they then played on master.

The whole 'causal' vs 'elitist' ordeal is rather funny to me, because I do not consider myself casual nor do I consider myself elitist. Though I am against people thinking they are entitled to just barging into a game and claiming they should be respected just because they have a full time job and no time because they also have college and the game should cater to their busy life.

1.) I have a job that switches from 8 to 10 hours on infrequent intervals

2.) I have full time college, studying in ITT Tech

3.) I still can devote time to games and my life.

The funny part about all that is that I do not demand that games cater to my lack of free time, yes it takes me longer to get through the more meatier games... Though that is what makes it satisfying, learning and overcoming a game that is designed with a fully fleshed out world filled with challenges and trying obstacles, figuring out what to do instead of being dragged around by the nostrils and having my face shoved within inches of it telling me to 'find' the objective after giving me the exact pin pointed location [its in a lot of games not, not just skyrim].
---
-------------------------EmperorCarnate---------------------------
Hey, I'll stand on my soap box and spew false information all I please, this is Gfaqs, baby.
#180CRABSOFDOOMPosted 12/14/2012 4:11:17 AM
thermal target finder lunge knife
---
All Hail slyfox729 bodacious wench/samwich MAKER