What, exactly, is wrong with casual gamers?

#181gunsndroses(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 4:48:08 AM
Danger_Close posted...
everything is wrong with casual gamers
motherf****ing goddamn scum

And to think, this topic was actually intelligent and civil until you showed up.
---
I think, therefore I am
#182RetneugPosted 12/14/2012 6:36:22 AM
namewitheld posted...
Retneug posted...

They don't want their minds or reflexes tested; they want to escape the challenges inherent in their lives.

very eloquent.

Debatable though.

1) very few people have challenges worthy of being evaded

2) we're designed to be competitive. The most popular games are the most aggressively competitive. You can label them simple but mentally they are probably the most stimulating thing people do outside of having sex.

Apologies for the late reply.

First of all I was referring to people who consume media in general, rather than as a whole. There are plenty of people who enjoy being truly challenged by their media; my point is simply that they are the minority, and that "hardcore" gamers are just another provocatively-named manifestation of this type of person.

1) When I speak of challenges here, I mean it in the most inclusive sense. Anything that builds stress and makes people seek recreation is what I speak of; the challenges of day-to-day life, if you will.

2) COD is very "casual" friendly in many respects. The progression system in multiplayer is straightforward, different lobbies cater to players of varying skill levels, and like all FPS the gameplay essentially comes down to "point and shoot"; the last gives FPS games an inherent boost in terms of their ability to gain mass appeal.
---
Favourite things:
Electro-swing and lactokinesis
#183RikiazPosted 12/14/2012 8:33:52 AM
simonbelmont2 posted...
suksass posted...
TheBestFaller posted...
suksass posted...
Is CoD reaaly that popular?

Each new installment breaks the sales/pre-order record set by the last.

So wouldn't that mean it's good or are people just that stupid? I heard it's more of the same content every year but the last I played was a few years ago CoD MW,then I think CoD3 and the one on PS1 before then.

Good question. Some gamers will happily buy the same game every year with minor differences.

I think it is funny because most CoD fans complain that it is the same every year and then Halo fans complain when they make changes.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#184simonbelmont2Posted 12/14/2012 8:38:23 AM
Rikiaz posted...
simonbelmont2 posted...
suksass posted...
TheBestFaller posted...
suksass posted...
Is CoD reaaly that popular?

Each new installment breaks the sales/pre-order record set by the last.

So wouldn't that mean it's good or are people just that stupid? I heard it's more of the same content every year but the last I played was a few years ago CoD MW,then I think CoD3 and the one on PS1 before then.

Good question. Some gamers will happily buy the same game every year with minor differences.

I think it is funny because most CoD fans complain that it is the same every year and then Halo fans complain when they make changes.

Lol, yeah I guess some gamers are never happy. I wonder how many of them will still buy the game even though they moan about it all day.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#185Blood_PrincePosted 12/14/2012 9:17:19 AM
johnnycigar posted...
Akujatu posted...
johnnycigar posted...
Rampagingwalrus posted...
The majority of gamers are mid 30's, with jobs, families, and other temporal obligations.
So they can only play game "casually" as opposed to... uh... hardcore? I guess?
Nothing is wrong with casual gamers, or even casual games.
People just need something to complain about, and somebody to blame.

Hit the nail on the head. If it makes me 'casual' because I care about my kids more than Call of Duty, then I guess I'm 'casual'.

But make no mistake to all you junior high wannabe's. I was gaming when gaming was all text. Imagine that, you GRAAFFIXX fiends. You actually had to be literate and READ to play video games.

I think this post is a great indication of how most casual gamers act, period. "LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A JOB, I HAVE KIDS, I CHOSE TO DO THESE THINGS, YOU WASTE YOUR LIVES AWAY DAILY".

Not every person on this planet HAS to work. Not everyone runs out to have a child at the age of 16. Don't use your children as a scapegoat for what you choose to classify yourself as.

I know plenty of people with children, across all age groups, and many can afford to put in 8-10 hours easily while working 4-5 days a week, per day, to play games. I can't stand people that instantly scapegoat their kids as a reason for their play-style/skills, or lack thereof.

This post reeks of ignorance. Luckily for you, ignorance is treatable.

Honestly johnny, you are acting more ignorant than Aku, You are agreeing with walrus when he is basically saying that hardcore gamers dont care about anything other than their hobby, which is bullcrap.

Hardcore gamers are people that look at gaming as their main hobby, it is not an indication of anything else in their life. I'm a hardcore gamer and I can't stand the douche's who act like they are a part of some kind of gaming "upper class" but what I find worse are the asses that start implying that somehow anything above a casual gamer has nothing in his or her life but video games. Then act as if having a family somehow makes them a better person than they guy they are trying to insult.

The entire thing is just stereotyping, it used to be that all gamers were nerds or geeks and lived in their parents basements, and now that more people are into games,that basic stereotype is applied to hardcore gamers.

That entire attitude reeks of ignorance, hope it gets treated before it gets passed on to your kids.
---
GT: Nelo Solarus
#186ilapostaPosted 12/14/2012 10:40:59 AM
I can only say I half agree with what you had to say. If someone uses an exploit it should not detract from their gaming "cred". If someone gets a game and blazes thru it on easy while not totally sinking themselves into the very lore/core of that game that should not mean they are not as serious about gaming as any one else.

Tha fact is that forums like these and topics like this allow people with a superiority complex or a chip on their shoulder a soap box to complain from. What do I as an individual care what you think of how I game. I dont care how you game. Just because one might rush thru a game doesnt make them less of a gamer. These are GAMES people. Ment to be played how you want. If I spend $60 bucks on a game I will play it however I choose and I certainly will not give a S*** about what others feel of the way I play.

I like cheats, I like exploits, sometimes I play for 3 hours and sometimes I play for 30 minutes. How I do what I do with my game ( especially a single player game with no intention of multiplayer gaming ) is none of anyones concern. People feel they have a right to scrutinize other peoples habits to help them feel good about themselves.

I am a "Completionist with A.D.D." style gamer. I fully flesh out a game on my own time in my own way. I feel that htis makes me a superior gamer to the rest of you that dont play this way.

This statement is rediculous and stupid and that is just how the comments of "Casual" vs. "Hardcore" gamers should be looked at as well.

IT'S VIDEO GAMES PEOPLE. VIDEO GAMES!!!! I wish you all got this involved with politics. Maybe then we might not have ended up with the son of satan as the president again.........
---
XboX360 for Skyrim PS3 for everything else!!! I am unstoppable!!!!
#187Roook35Posted 12/14/2012 10:43:15 AM
*walks into topic to comment, looks at last post, puts hands in pockets and does a 180 and walks out whistling*
---
Killah Priest - "because ROOOK SAID SO DO YOU NEED ANY MORE REASON."
#188RikashiPosted 12/14/2012 10:46:36 AM
Roook35 posted...
*walks into topic to comment, looks at last post, puts hands in pockets and does a 180 and walks out whistling*

Why? Except the last line (we all know Obama is the offspring of C'thulu, not Satan) he makes a pretty good point.
---
TES VI: SWAGGERFALL
Not changing this sig until Stephen Kings 'It' gets a proper movie adaption.
#189TheBestFallerPosted 12/14/2012 10:50:24 AM
Rikashi posted...
Roook35 posted...

Why? Except the last line (we all know Obama is the offspring of C'thulu, not Satan) he makes a pretty good point.

Really? I would have said, "Yeah, but with the idiocy of his entire post, are you really surprised about his lack of political knowledge?
---
I store dead bodies all up under my house and every night I hear them runnin' they mouths.
#190ilapostaPosted 12/14/2012 10:51:09 AM
Rikashi posted...
Roook35 posted...

LOL @ C'Thulu. I wish I thought of that.
---
XboX360 for Skyrim PS3 for everything else!!! I am unstoppable!!!!