What, exactly, is wrong with casual gamers?

#191ilapostaPosted 12/14/2012 9:54:01 AM
TheBestFaller posted...
Rikashi posted...
Roook35 posted...
*walks into topic to comment, looks at last post, puts hands in pockets and does a 180 and walks out whistling*

Why? Except the last line (we all know Obama is the offspring of C'thulu, not Satan) he makes a pretty good point.

Really? I would have said, "Yeah, but with the idiocy of his entire post, are you really surprised about his lack of political knowledge?

You are exactly the type of person who instigates the kind of crap that creates labels like Casual vs. Hardcore. What was idiotic about my statement? What did I say that makes me seem stupid to you?

If you cant answer that then you should take a look into your own intelligence.
---
XboX360 for Skyrim PS3 for everything else!!! I am unstoppable!!!!
#192LockeadonPosted 12/14/2012 9:54:38 AM
grumpysmurf011 posted...
i'd like to know - not to antagonize, out of curiosity - how old are the folks posting? i'm 34.

over 9000!
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#193ilapostaPosted 12/14/2012 9:55:40 AM
Lockeadon posted...
grumpysmurf011 posted...
i'd like to know - not to antagonize, out of curiosity - how old are the folks posting? i'm 34.

over 9000!

Im 35.
---
#194MasterShot2k5Posted 12/14/2012 9:56:54 AM
Because die hard gamers put too much work into their craft for their own good, casual gamers buy the game and play it, but games have been further built to accommodate casual gamers , and die hard gamers are salty.
---
Haters gonna hate......
#195TheBestFallerPosted 12/14/2012 9:57:50 AM
ilaposta posted...

You're right. I was unduly harsh. For the topic matter, we agree. My bad.
---
I store dead bodies all up under my house and every night I hear them runnin' they mouths.
#196ilapostaPosted 12/14/2012 10:06:48 AM
TheBestFaller posted...
ilaposta posted...

You're right. I was unduly harsh. For the topic matter, we agree. My bad.

No worries brotha man. In topics like this people get invested in it and things get said.. Thank you for re-posting.
---
#197AlleRacingPosted 12/14/2012 11:34:53 AM
I stopped when I started going into how your skill level impacts how potent the potions are and how much they're worth. Then she asked, "So it's a game about cooking?" Which of course it's not, but that's my point. Just this ONE ASPECT of the game is as complex as most games were back in the early to mid-80s.

That argument falters when you realize that Alchemy was more in depth in Morrowind than it is in Skyrim.

And yet people do get angry about the inclusion of this feature, as if it's very existence is intolerable. This is the attitude I find ridiculous is hardcore gamers. I'm not really trying to say that there aren't valid reasons to be annoyed with casual gaming, I'm just saying that those reasons are rarely the ones I see.

Eh, I'd say a stark minority are truly peeved about it being in Skyrim, since at least Bethesda gave use carriages. The real complaints came from the transition to Oblivion. We gained fast travel back (which was in Daggerfall, mind you), but we lost silt striders, boats, guild guides, propylon chambers, mark, recall, Almsivi intervention, Divine intervention, levitate, slowfall, jump (spell), etc. Another example is quest marker versus directions. Gripes about the marker itself aside, this gave way for there to be no quest directions at all, just follow the arrow the NPC places on your map. If you wanted to turn it off and find places on your own, good f***ing luck, no one gave you the slightest direction to where you were supposed to go.

I don't know how much more in-depth you would want it to go, really.

And this is why you don't understand the answer to your topic. The second poster captured it perfectly.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#198Valmanways4EverPosted 12/14/2012 12:00:26 PM
What, exactly, is wrong with casual gamers?

If we knew that we'd have scientists working around the clock for a cure

casual games are fine if you're playing with your kids or spouse, not everyone is going to be good at games, but watering down existing franchises to make them casual friendly is annoying. I don't have all the free time in the world so if I can get the same shallow entertainment from a cellphone game that I can for something I have to buy a $400 console to play why would I bother with the console? I can't even make phone calls on it, and certainly can't play it for 5 minutes when I'm waiting for the train or something.
---
I've never acted or pretended like I know everything. Hell I'm not even the most knowledgeable person here (by a long shot). ~RebelElite791
#199PezofpowerPosted 12/14/2012 12:43:47 PM
grumpysmurf011 posted...
i don't bother with categorizing video game players, and i'll never understand why some people feel like they need to.

people play games for enjoyment - as a hobby, as an escape, as a way to bond with friends and family, or because of other reasons. there isn't any "right or wrong" regarding why or how people play - because the only opinion that matters, is that of the individual who is actually playing.

some of my friends would consider me to be "hardcore" - some would not. i own a large collection of games. i've listed all of them under "games owned" on my profile - excluding emulators. the sheer volume is usually the reason as to why i've been considered "hardcore". however, just because i own all of those games, that doesn't mean i use all of my free time to play them.

i have a job, friends, other hobbies and interests - video games aren't even close to the top of my list of priorities. of the two choices, i'd consider myself more to be a "casual" gamer. i play games based on my mood at the time. sometimes i'll become immersed in what i'm playing, and i'll want to complete the game 100%, other times i'll play a game just to pass the time while i'm waiting for my girlfriend to get ready.

"casual" and "hardcore" are subjective terms. one isn't better than the other - they're just opinions. what matters is the fact that people play games for fun. insecurities and ego let people decide if they're better or worse than the next person.

You are confused about the terminology from one crowd to the next. I always put down games to go grab a beer or go on dates or do real life stuff. But the casual crowd has made gaming so mind numbingly painful because it no longer requires any logical thought to play games. Skyrim is a prime example of this. I'm not a super big elder scrolls fan but Oblivion and MW were much deeper and for me, my choices felt like they mattered. Now with skyrim I can make 1 level dips on any perk tree and have the ultimate character. It's boring, to me and most hardcore players because it lacks depth. I'm fine if they make time friendly decisions like fast travel but you should have to learn how to play the game the way it was intended instead of the devs making it ezpz to cater to casual players.
---
PSN:Pezofpower