What, exactly, is wrong with casual gamers?

#41LockeadonPosted 12/13/2012 1:53:57 PM
pauljc1 posted...
Simple. Casual gamers, almost by definition, aren't as dedicated to the hobby as more traditional gamers. So the more traditional gamers get very annoyed when companies debauch their product to cater to people who don't value that product as highly. Plus, most "casual" games like Facebook games and the like have a reputation of nickle-and-diming people.

It's not really the casual gamers' problem, it's the game companies trying to chase that sweet, sweet Farmville money.

fb games aren't really games at all they are psychological tools designed to drag in as many people as possible without giving them anything at all. there is no 'experience' at all. other than that feeling you get by helping your friends waste their time and money by wasting some of yours.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#42RebelElite791Posted 12/13/2012 1:54:32 PM
Nothing, as long as games aren't being catered to them, and thus watered down from what they should be.
---
Rebel is pretty much a planet, pulling all sorts of moons and satellites his way, among them good, bad, foolish, trollish, and everything else - SeaArrKing
#43simonbelmont2Posted 12/13/2012 1:55:07 PM
kylekillgannon posted...
simonbelmont2 posted...
A good pyro flame +15 makes the game a cakewalk too.

Yeah. The moral is. The game isn't as hard as everyone wants it to be, all you need to do is dodge everything and hit it in the butt.

In fact, the way I approached the game the only things I found relatively hard were unanimously agreed upon to be considered utter bs.

But don't ever complain about the game around its user base. Oooooh lawd.

Lol, yeah some DS fans react harshly to any complaints about the game.

jodiebigballs posted...
I don't think "casual" in this sense refers to time spent gaming compared to work or other hobbies, I think it's more to do with attention span.
Example:
A "hardcore" gamer, even with limited time (like myself) would quite happily play Morrowind (for example) for a few months to experience all of the story, loot, side quest even though because of my limited free time I wouldn't see any "pay off" for at least a few weeks.

A casual gamer wouldn't even try Morrowind because they wouldn't be able to complete it in say, a weekend and therefore wouldn't ever see a "pay off"....so really what would be the point starting it in the first place when they can get COD (for example) which will give them a complete story plus extras for putting in maybe 5 hours of gaming over a weekend.....

And as casuals are the biggest majority they will obviously bring in the most profit for game developers, so needless to say games will become more "streamlined" so that the casuals will be able to complete the game in a few sittings......which will appeal to the casuals, the casuals will the buy the product and the game developer will in turn make more money.

It's the same reason COD duty brings out a 7-10 hour long game Every year.......
That's guaranteed yearly revenue compared to Bethesda's maybe Once every 6 yearly revenue......

Well that's my opinion anyway.

Good points, attention span and the ability to delay gratification are a big part of it.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#44PanopictonguyPosted 12/13/2012 1:57:21 PM
simonbelmont2 posted...
kylekillgannon posted...
Bigj089 posted...
MC2011 posted...
Games be too easy, yo.

If you actually think Dark Souls was challenging, then lol.

Hey, that game was challenging. If you tried to play it like Dynasty Warriors on the easy setting.

Unless you make a build around doing just that.

Once you develop a good Strength build then the game just becomes a less fun Devil May Cry. Crazy bosses and all.

The game is challenging is a stupid way. Like bad nes programming challenging...but on purpose. it really bothers me when people say

"Yeah the Ultimate weapon you get through hours of research and hard work makes the game super easy, that's why it was never hard to begin with."

Or

"I've played this game for 1500 hours, after playing it non-stop for 20hrs it became a cakewalk."

Or the best one

"When in use this strategy I looked up online the Game is way to easy."

Most challenging games are challenging when you first play then, not when you've memorized the entire game and learned all kinds of exploits that you use every time you play.
---
Is cheating online in a cooperative game appropriate - Y=9 N =8
#45LockeadonPosted 12/13/2012 1:57:24 PM
Nathypants posted...
The majority of people aren't "hardcore" and companies wish to make profit. they turn to the "casual" fanbase and make products that cater to their interests, taking away from the "hardcore" fans.

That and a lot of casual gamers are kinda ewwy people.

i missed you pants <3 welcome home <3
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#46jodiebigballsPosted 12/13/2012 1:59:07 PM
simonbelmont2 posted...
kylekillgannon posted...
simonbelmont2 posted...

Yeah. The moral is. The game isn't as hard as everyone wants it to be, all you need to do is dodge everything and hit it in the butt.

In fact, the way I approached the game the only things I found relatively hard were unanimously agreed upon to be considered utter bs.

But don't ever complain about the game around its user base. Oooooh lawd.

Lol, yeah some DS fans react harshly to any complaints about the game.

jodiebigballs posted...
I don't think "casual" in this sense refers to time spent gaming compared to work or other hobbies, I think it's more to do with attention span.
Example:
A "hardcore" gamer, even with limited time (like myself) would quite happily play Morrowind (for example) for a few months to experience all of the story, loot, side quest even though because of my limited free time I wouldn't see any "pay off" for at least a few weeks.

A casual gamer wouldn't even try Morrowind because they wouldn't be able to complete it in say, a weekend and therefore wouldn't ever see a "pay off"....so really what would be the point starting it in the first place when they can get COD (for example) which will give them a complete story plus extras for putting in maybe 5 hours of gaming over a weekend.....

And as casuals are the biggest majority they will obviously bring in the most profit for game developers, so needless to say games will become more "streamlined" so that the casuals will be able to complete the game in a few sittings......which will appeal to the casuals, the casuals will the buy the product and the game developer will in turn make more money.

It's the same reason COD duty brings out a 7-10 hour long game Every year.......
That's guaranteed yearly revenue compared to Bethesda's maybe Once every 6 yearly revenue......

Well that's my opinion anyway.

Good points, attention span and the ability to delay gratification are a big part of it.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAI..........wait that doesn't really work.......
Never mind
:)
---
Live Fast, Die Young.....Leave A Good Looking Corpse
#47korinthianPosted 12/13/2012 2:00:12 PM
The big schism comes from the fact that things hardcore gamers find fun ( Huge world, tons of options, difficult encounters ) are the very things casuals want removed from games.

They want a nice, streamlined experience similar to going to a movie.

Since games these days are largely marketed to the casual gamers, it makes the hardcore players (I'm one of these) feel sad when a game with such great potential gets dumbed down to make it more marketable.

Even the hardest of games now, are easier than average difficulty games I experienced growing up. They were unforgiving and you just got better, or quit playing.

Now I play Far Cry 3 and I'm saddened by the fact that I get a built in wallhack device, and it's how the game is meant to be experienced.
#48WhereDidItGoPosted 12/13/2012 2:02:29 PM
What's funny to me is I've been playing video games for 30 years, enjoying nearly every genre out there from shooters like CoD and Halo to old school RPGs and everything in between, and I have no clue where I even fit on this imaginary scale. The whole business of casual vs. hardcore gamers just seems like a silly way for folks to give some sort of fictitious weight to their opinionated arguments. Whenever I see these terms tossed around, it has the equivalent feel of watching a debate between a chocolate lover and a vanilla lover discussing the best ice cream flavors.
---
"The madman is not the man who has lost his reason. The madman is the man who has lost everything except his reason." - G.K. Chesterton
#49kylekillgannonPosted 12/13/2012 2:03:49 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
The game is challenging is a stupid way. Like bad nes programming challenging...but on purpose. it really bothers me when people say

Most challenging games are challenging when you first play then, not when you've memorized the entire game and learned all kinds of exploits that you use every time you play.

My favorite is when they talk about invincibility frames as if it's some integral game mechanic that everyone knows of when stepping into it. At this point it is indeed an integral gameplay mechanic, because most strategies center on you utilizing it.

But these are things you can't bring up to the fanbase because they'll go crazy and start yelling out buzzwords like "#Yoloswag" and ignorant casual. And begin to throw up detailed explanations how it's only your fault for dying in Sen's Fortress like a dirty casual, even if you never brought up Sen's Fortress in the first place.
---
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.
#50RebelElite791Posted 12/13/2012 2:04:37 PM
WhereDidItGo posted...
What's funny to me is I've been playing video games for 30 years, enjoying nearly every genre out there from shooters like CoD and Halo to old school RPGs and everything in between, and I have no clue where I even fit on this imaginary scale. The whole business of casual vs. hardcore gamers just seems like a silly way for folks to give some sort of fictitious weight to their opinionated arguments. Whenever I see these terms tossed around, it has the equivalent feel of watching a debate between a chocolate lover and a vanilla lover discussing the best ice cream flavors.

Example:

Casual WoW players complained that they weren't able to see certain endgame content because they lacked the time or skill to get to it, so Blizzard added the Looking for Raid system.

Some more serious players feel this undermines the entire raiding/endgame experience. Yes, the loot is slightly worse, but it requires absolutely no work to obtain, and little to no actual avoidance of boss mechanics.
---
Rebel is pretty much a planet, pulling all sorts of moons and satellites his way, among them good, bad, foolish, trollish, and everything else - SeaArrKing