Why did you guys buy this game, (real deal)

#61obishawnPosted 12/17/2012 7:07:01 AM(edited)
Even though I had just bought the 5th Anniversary Edition of Oblivion, I had never played an Elder Scrolls game. Skyrim seemed pretty awesome from what little I had seen, but I knew nothing of the game play, the story or anything else.

I had been working at GameStop for about a month and had bought Arkham City, Halo Anniversary and Skyward Sword and was eagerly anticipating delving into each.

Skyrim had been out for a couple of weeks and though I was very tempted, I had resisted it. But then, I saw a video of a guy playing on PC, and though I knew I couldn't do what he did, that was all it took; he spawned 50 dragons over Riverwood and I nearly wet myself.

Over a year later, Skyrim is pretty much all I have played. What few games I have played couldn't distract me from Skyrim enough to keep me playing. Batman, Halo and Zelda all sit on my shelf, never been played.

Edit:

After playing for about 20 hours (within the next work week) I promptly returned the game to GameStop/ traded it in towards the Collector's Edition!
---
Winter is coming
#62EliteGuard99Posted 12/17/2012 6:48:14 AM
Walmart online had it on sale for 34.99 a week before it came out.
---
"I like my weapons how I like my music, HEAVY and METAL! - Mordekaiser
#63LockeadonPosted 12/17/2012 6:51:01 AM
Those "idiot friends" you spoke of are Skyrim players from all platforms. You seriously sound like your saying the X360 boards never whined.

more like i personally didn't.

there's a significant difference between content not making the cut because its too glitched to be workable and working content being removed to charge for later. there are many things that they wanted to have in the game but which never really worked so ended up removed from the game at shipping. however there is zero evidence that they ever intended to included things like spears or arrow crafting at launch. there was an interview where they basically said spears weren't a priority as they were focusing on making the major playstyles feel unique and different and having them didn't fit in with that. i honestly never expected spears to be in at all. and finally the vast majority of the things added in the dlcs were just ideas kicking around at beth when vanilla skyrim was released. and arrow crafting was added cause lots of people were asking for it.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#64theonyxphoenixPosted 12/17/2012 6:54:03 AM
Because it looked good and the more complex leveling system was removed.

Could I lower the difficulty? Yes. But my need to maximize effectiveness of my character bleeds over in to having to achieve a +5 every level. Tedious to say the least and detracted from my enjoyment of the game. Pity.
#65MaximoomPosted 12/17/2012 6:59:00 AM
TES games have their flaws, but still being the best current series around.
#66FredCat07Posted 12/17/2012 7:00:03 AM
syr2 posted...
Because it's The Elder Scrolls. That's why. I don't care how many DLCs will be released, I'm going to buy each and every one without hesitation, period.

Well, I highly disliked Hearthfire so I will immediately delete/uninstall it once I got all five achievements from that DLC. Doing the duty by protecting the house is not my cup of tea.
---
I used to be hearing person like you, until I took the fever in my ears. ~FredCat
#67Apl_JPosted 12/17/2012 7:03:34 AM
Ajd_King posted...
I liked the previous ones and GameFAQS is very good at building hype.

Fixed.

I think message boards hurt gaming for me more than they help.
#68The_Real_TurnipPosted 12/17/2012 7:19:32 AM(edited)
Apl_J posted...
Ajd_King posted...

Fixed.

So true. I actively avoid relevant /v/ threads and GameFAQs boards leading up to a release I'm interested in. Between spoilers and ridiculous hype, it's just not worth it.

On topic:

I actually like Bethesda. Quite a bit. I like Todd Howard, too. I always like to see someone who truly loves and is excited about their work. You could see it in all the videos and interviews - he, and anyone else you saw in the prerelease vids, was really excited about Skyrim, and before that about Fallout, and Oblivion.

There's too many people in the world who are just clocking in and out and have no passion for what they do. I blame games like CoD / FIFA being rereleased every year - that has to sap the creative energy out of you.

Yeah, they have problems on release, but if you came up with a Content : Bugs ratio I'm actually fairly confident that they're less buggy then other major releases that take 5-10 hours to finish everything. So it's like less bugs per mile... or something...

Plus, you know, it's The mother loving Elder Scrolls. I've played this serious for well over a decade. I'm not gonna stop now.
#69NicodaemosPosted 12/17/2012 7:20:43 AM
From: RebelElite791 | Posted: 12/17/2012 2:06:14 AM | #003
Because it's TES. Lol.

---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#70LockeadonPosted 12/17/2012 7:27:40 AM
The_Real_Turnip posted...
Apl_J posted...
Ajd_King posted...

Fixed.

So true. I actively avoid relevant /v/ threads and GameFAQs boards leading up to a release I'm interested in. Between spoilers and ridiculous hype, it's just not worth it.

On topic:

I actually like Bethesda. Quite a bit. I like Todd Howard, too. I always like to see someone who truly loves and is excited about their work. You could see it in all the videos and interviews - he, and anyone else you saw in the prerelease vids, was really excited about Skyrim, and before that about Fallout, and Oblivion.

There's too many people in the world who are just clocking in and out and have no passion for what they do. I blame games like CoD / FIFA being rereleased every year - that has to sap the creative energy out of you.

Yeah, they have problems on release, but if you came up with a Content : Bugs ratio I'm actually fairly confident that they're less buggy then other major releases that take 5-10 hours to finish everything. So it's like less bugs per mile... or something...

Plus, you know, it's The mother loving Elder Scrolls. I've played this serious for well over a decade. I'm not gonna stop now.

the real turnip is right. they actually have a lower glitch rate than most major developers. although they also have a lower fix rate...
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider