What do you dupe?

#31simonbelmont2Posted 12/19/2012 11:47:25 AM
jammymacster posted...
This topic has been ridiculously derailed. How about this, you don't like the exploit then don't post, that way those people that do want to do it and share ideas on things to do can do so. This argument is pointless because there will never be an agreement.

Not really sure why we needed a second topic in the first place though.

I agree, if one does not like duping then don't post. Let those who do enjoy it share their thoughts.

Personally I did it in Oblivion but I haven't tried it in Skyrim. I don't feel it's really necessary so I probably won't bother with it. I kind of like doing things the hard way in Skyrim. I also don't need a copy of any unique weapons or items.

The only exploit I used in Skyrim was the one where you buy the Whiterun house and quickly store the money in a chest before it is taken. That allows me to get the home and keep the 5000 which is handy for a new character.

I think decent players understand that there is a big difference between duping in a singleplayer game and a multiplayer one.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#32ArcturonPosted 12/19/2012 12:01:12 PM
To be honest...this is such a hotly debated topic in video games, you cannot post something about it without expecting a backlash, that's just the way it works when people want to talk about cheating in a game, essentially saying "I don't want to play the way they let me in a sandbox game that has so many options, without breaking it."

Also, I don't think decent player dupe regardless of game type.
#33simonbelmont2Posted 12/19/2012 12:06:00 PM
Arcturon posted...
To be honest...this is such a hotly debated topic in video games, you cannot post something about it without expecting a backlash, that's just the way it works when people want to talk about cheating in a game, essentially saying "I don't want to play the way they let me in a sandbox game that has so many options, without breaking it."

Also, I don't think decent player dupe regardless of game type.

It basically boils down to one guy trying to tell another how to play which is silly. Personally I have no qualms with people duping in a single player game.
---
#34WvethPosted 12/19/2012 12:07:53 PM
I really can't fathom the judgmental attitude here. O.O

Honestly, I get it when someone goes online and cheats and screws with other players, but when someone does it by themselves with their own game and it doesn't affect anyone else... there is no problem there.

It's like logic has just flown out the window.

Which is shocking for GameFAQs.
---
Wveth!
#35simonbelmont2Posted 12/19/2012 12:09:35 PM
Wveth posted...

Honestly, I get it when someone goes online and cheats and screws with other players, but when someone does it by themselves with their own game and it doesn't affect anyone else... there is no problem there.

It doesn't surprise me. People are always quick to judge others and like to argue.
---
#36ArcturonPosted 12/19/2012 12:20:05 PM
I will go so far as to apologize for how abrasive I'm being about this towards you all, I've just been very burned on all the duping that's becoming rampant in video games...a lot of which are loot based and it ruins the gaming experience when really rare and unique things....aren't, due to the extreme duping. Yes, this is a single player game, but after awhile, people do tend to get into a mindset, for games like borderlands which is mainly PvE instead of PvP that their flooding the game with unique stuff won't bother anyone because they mainly play with friends....who play with other friends...and other friends and suddenly...everyones toting around a flaming/lightning/rapidfire whatever that 1 shots almost anything that is supposed to only show up on a persons loot table 1 in 10000000000. Although very little will touch the duping of SoJ's on D2.

I know this is still a bit of me complaining about duping, but I do apologize for going after anyone, its just become a very big issue when this type of exploits carries over into so many games with the attitude always being applied of "it doesn't bother anyone" even when it readily does and other refuse to admit it, but yes, this is single player and I had probably been coming off as a "duping is a gateway to worse things" type of person, my bad.
#37JohnnyG118Posted 12/19/2012 12:23:51 PM
Wveth posted...

You identified the problem yourself when you pointed out my use of the slippery slope fallacy.

It IS a slippery slope.

Consider the following process of internal justification:

1) I only use exploits in single player games because it doesn't effect anyone else.

2) I used some exploits to unlock some achievements more quickly in a single player game, it doesn't effect anyone else.

3) I used some exploits to artificially raise my score so I could place high on a leaderboard. But it's still single player, and other people could exploit too if they cared about having a high score.

4) I used some exploits in a multiplayer game, but only to improve my own characters gear. It's not PvP, so who cares?

5) I used some exploits in a multiplayer game to artificially level up faster, but only because I wanted quicker access to better gear and weapons. I was going to unlock those legitimately eventually, and so many other people in the match have them, so who cares?

6) Other people in this multiplayer game are constantly using exploits to their advantage, so if I want to be competitive I have to use those exploits too!

7) Everyone knows about these exploits by now, it's your own fault if you choose to abstain.

This is how this crap gets started. People think they're innocent and "playing fair" because they perceive their experience as being "contained", if you will, to their own character, account, or file. But before long exploits become common knowledge and the jerks out there start abusing them, forcing anyone else to either stop playing the game, or cheat in order to keep up. It's all garbage, and I call BS on the people who say they restrain their use of exploits to single player only, because how you define "single player" can be pretty vague, as shown in the series of examples above.
#38WvethPosted 12/19/2012 12:24:20 PM
Fair enough. I don't play very many MP games, so perhaps I just haven't encountered it enough to be frustrated.

But I PROMISE I would never cheat like that in an MP game. ^_^
---
Wveth!
#39simonbelmont2Posted 12/19/2012 12:26:18 PM
Arcturon posted...
I will go so far as to apologize for how abrasive I'm being about this towards you all, I've just been very burned on all the duping that's becoming rampant in video games...a lot of which are loot based and it ruins the gaming experience when really rare and unique things....aren't, due to the extreme duping. Yes, this is a single player game, but after awhile, people do tend to get into a mindset, for games like borderlands which is mainly PvE instead of PvP that their flooding the game with unique stuff won't bother anyone because they mainly play with friends....who play with other friends...and other friends and suddenly...everyones toting around a flaming/lightning/rapidfire whatever that 1 shots almost anything that is supposed to only show up on a persons loot table 1 in 10000000000. Although very little will touch the duping of SoJ's on D2.

I know this is still a bit of me complaining about duping, but I do apologize for going after anyone, its just become a very big issue when this type of exploits carries over into so many games with the attitude always being applied of "it doesn't bother anyone" even when it readily does and other refuse to admit it, but yes, this is single player and I had probably been coming off as a "duping is a gateway to worse things" type of person, my bad.

Fair enough man.

I can understand how annoying it would be to encounter dupers in a game like Borderlands.

Thankfully not all players that dupe in singleplayer games would do it in multiplayer too. Personally I duped a few times in Oblivion but I would never do it in a multiplayer game or use any other exploits there. I believe in fair play and cheating in a multiplayer game is a lousy thing to do. I haven't even bothered to dupe in Skyrim or any other singleplayer games since I played Oblivion years ago funnily enough. I generally prefer to do things the hard way and keep unique items unique.
---
#40WvethPosted 12/19/2012 12:29:35 PM
Yes, Johnny, I can see how someone might use that justification. It's wrong to assume everyone will. Even if I grant that most people will, coming into a topic and saying that you're a bad gamer for playing your own game how you want without affecting anyone else is a jerkish thing to do.
---
Wveth!