What do you dupe?

#41JohnnyG118Posted 12/19/2012 12:34:23 PM
Wveth posted...
Yes, Johnny, I can see how someone might use that justification. It's wrong to assume everyone will. Even if I grant that most people will, coming into a topic and saying that you're a bad gamer for playing your own game how you want without affecting anyone else is a jerkish thing to do.

I understand your logic, and I apologize for coming on so strong --

(...wait, did people on the internet just apologize to each other and find common ground? Jesus tapdancing Christ the world really is coming to an end...)

My issue with this thread, ultimately, is that it -encourages- people to use the dupe glitches. And while this may be a single player experience in full, as a general rule cheating and exploitation should be DIScouraged. It's just one of those things I guess; you can google how to make a homemade bomb if you wanted, and nothing will ever stop that information from being out there, but the last thing you want to see is people wantonly posting it around and making it even MORE obvious and available.
#42simonbelmont2Posted 12/19/2012 12:37:55 PM
JohnnyG118 posted...
Wveth posted...
I really can't fathom the judgmental attitude here. O.O

Honestly, I get it when someone goes online and cheats and screws with other players, but when someone does it by themselves with their own game and it doesn't affect anyone else... there is no problem there.

It's like logic has just flown out the window.

Which is shocking for GameFAQs.

You identified the problem yourself when you pointed out my use of the slippery slope fallacy.

It IS a slippery slope.

Consider the following process of internal justification:

1) I only use exploits in single player games because it doesn't effect anyone else.

2) I used some exploits to unlock some achievements more quickly in a single player game, it doesn't effect anyone else.

3) I used some exploits to artificially raise my score so I could place high on a leaderboard. But it's still single player, and other people could exploit too if they cared about having a high score.

4) I used some exploits in a multiplayer game, but only to improve my own characters gear. It's not PvP, so who cares?

5) I used some exploits in a multiplayer game to artificially level up faster, but only because I wanted quicker access to better gear and weapons. I was going to unlock those legitimately eventually, and so many other people in the match have them, so who cares?

6) Other people in this multiplayer game are constantly using exploits to their advantage, so if I want to be competitive I have to use those exploits too!

7) Everyone knows about these exploits by now, it's your own fault if you choose to abstain.

This is how this crap gets started. People think they're innocent and "playing fair" because they perceive their experience as being "contained", if you will, to their own character, account, or file. But before long exploits become common knowledge and the jerks out there start abusing them, forcing anyone else to either stop playing the game, or cheat in order to keep up. It's all garbage, and I call BS on the people who say they restrain their use of exploits to single player only, because how you define "single player" can be pretty vague, as shown in the series of examples above.

I see your point and I can fathom the escalation.

However you can call BS all you want but it doesn't change the fact that not every player is the same. Me personally, I would never exploit in a multiplayer game or one where I am competing against other players (leaderboards etc.) Hell I only bothered with duping in Oblivion a few times around five years ago and I haven't bothered with it in a game since.

The bottom line is if a guy wants to dupe in Skyrim it has no effect on another players game. If that player has the moral fibre to avoid cheating in a multiplayer game he will do it. The escalation doesn't always happen. If you wanna blame someone then blame the guys who dupe in a multiplayer game and ruin it by creating an uneven playing field. Don't blame the guy who dupes a couple of soul gems in Skyrim which is a completely single player game. Players are not all as weak willed as one may perceive. Some players know when and where to draw the line.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#43simonbelmont2Posted 12/19/2012 12:39:53 PM
JohnnyG118 posted...
Wveth posted...
Yes, Johnny, I can see how someone might use that justification. It's wrong to assume everyone will. Even if I grant that most people will, coming into a topic and saying that you're a bad gamer for playing your own game how you want without affecting anyone else is a jerkish thing to do.

I understand your logic, and I apologize for coming on so strong --

(...wait, did people on the internet just apologize to each other and find common ground? Jesus tapdancing Christ the world really is coming to an end...)

My issue with this thread, ultimately, is that it -encourages- people to use the dupe glitches. And while this may be a single player experience in full, as a general rule cheating and exploitation should be DIScouraged. It's just one of those things I guess; you can google how to make a homemade bomb if you wanted, and nothing will ever stop that information from being out there, but the last thing you want to see is people wantonly posting it around and making it even MORE obvious and available.

You make a convincing argument friend. Thankfully though as I said not all players are the same.
---
#44PyralarPosted 12/19/2012 12:55:37 PM
There's a dupe glitch?

I'd probably use it to dupe unique things and decorate my house with them.

I'm always scared to use things I can't find more of to decorate....so many glitches with them disappearing! :(
---
- Plus/Minus
#45simonbelmont2Posted 12/19/2012 1:05:48 PM
Pyralar posted...
There's a dupe glitch?

I'm always scared to use things I can't find more of to decorate....so many glitches with them disappearing! :(

Yeah, things can randomly disappear sometimes. Someone posted a topic about it, it should be on the second or third page by now.
---
#4695_EclipsePosted 12/19/2012 1:06:59 PM
Elprede007 posted...
JohnnyG118 posted...
Nothing, glitch exploitation is for chodes.

People whining about someone else's SINGLE-PLAYER gamestyle are chodes. Why should YOU, a person who is in no way involved in anyone elses game, care about how someone PRIVATELY plays THEIR game.

Exactly.

That said, there is a dupe glitch now? **** yeah maybe I'll start playing again.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#47obishawnPosted 12/19/2012 1:08:05 PM
simonbelmont2 posted...
Pyralar posted...
There's a dupe glitch?

Yeah, things can randomly disappear sometimes. Someone posted a topic about it, it should be on the second or third page by now.

Hungry fella? Here ya go!

http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/64945747
---
Winter is coming
#48Elprede007(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2012 1:49:16 PM
95_Eclipse posted...
Elprede007 posted...
JohnnyG118 posted...
Nothing, glitch exploitation is for chodes.

People whining about someone else's SINGLE-PLAYER gamestyle are chodes. Why should YOU, a person who is in no way involved in anyone elses game, care about how someone PRIVATELY plays THEIR game.

Exactly.

That said, there is a dupe glitch now? **** yeah maybe I'll start playing again.

Yes I made a topic on how to dupe. I will bring it back to the front page, but I really wish it would be stickied.
---
"Puttin' that in the poem!"
#49Skul_Posted 12/19/2012 2:27:35 PM
Nothing, i play on PC. If i want too dupe something i can do it far easier. I dont though.
---
[Consoles] are essentially just really low end PC's with child locks.-DaLaga
i5-2500-GTX550TI-8GB; DSi; 3DS; GBASP; Wii;Galaxy SIII; iPod Touch 4th Gen;
#50Zelda_UzikuaPosted 12/19/2012 2:50:10 PM
Sadly i accidentally dupe, I put something cool on the mannequin, then leave and come back to put something else on and it keeps making copies. I really hate it! Is there anyway to stop it actually?